The Student Room Group

Article: Why don't university students attend lectures?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by somethingbeautiful
In 1st year I attended them all. Second year much less so and by 3rd year I was attending the minimum amount in order not to be dragged before a progress panel.

Personally, I went to uni to learn more about a subject that fascinated me but found myself just studying for exams and having no time to learn for the sake of learning. I felt very pressured to learn quickly and get 60%+. I favored passing my exams and coursework and getting a 2.1 over absorbing the content of each and every lecture (in reality, that's impossible).
In 2nd/3rd year I chose carefully which lectures/seminars to attend based on how much I judged them to be beneficial to me. Most of them were accessible online and it was quicker to skim read online notes and glean only the most important info from them than to sit through an hour lecture plus travel time there and back. I could get more done in an hour at my desk in the library than in the hour in most lectures.

I got my 2.1 and wouldn't have done it any differently, however, for my next degree I'll be attending every lecture/seminar because I actually want to learn and not just pass the exams. I lost interest in my first degree and I was just doing it for the piece of paper. I'm actually interested in my 2nd degree and want a career from it and I'd like to be knowledgeable at work since I'll be treating patients.

So yeah, for me it was a totally practical thing - I was just cutting the fat off the meat and skipping straight to the most useful stuff and ignoring everything else. Worked for me.

Similar for me. I lost the will to learn over the three years.

By the end I was making business decisions about my learning. Could I ignore a third of the course and pick the right questions in the papers and still get good marks? I had no problem doing that towards the end. Grades were the only goal.

So yeah, if the lectures were easy, or alternatively the lecturers terrible (language/accent issues or just reading off slides with slides online) I saw no value in going. I went more than a few friends, who skipped whole modules, because I tried to be sensible about it.

I learned more from doing exercises and papers anyway...

Came out with a first, carefully following my minimum target to reaching it, haven't looked back since.
Reply 21
Sometimes I find it hard to make the early morning lectures.
Reply 22
I missed my 9am lecture yesterday because I overslept. It's the only thing I've missed, so far. But I can always watch it as the lecturers record their lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Following on from this thread about students who don't go to lectures, we wrote this article, asking: Why don't university students go to lectures. What's your opinion?

I personally attend them all

but I can understand why people wouldn't, a lot of them can be boring, and the powerpoints are always placed online several days before anyway, and most of the lecturers make little extra comment from what's already on the slides

I have this one lecturer, who told us to read chapters of a book, I just read a bit, the next day when she presented the powerpoint, all her points were literally word-for-word from that text book, the whole powerpoint was just all linear notes directly quoted
and to make it worse, there was no reference for the book at the end, we could've just not come and done perfectly fine

So I think a lot of people might think it's pointless
today, i had a lecture with the parrot lecturer stuttered and very confused with her own slide material, a lot of students laughed quietly at her, during that time i just skimmed the slide on my phone until the end and understood all the content immediately. and people still asking why am i skipping lectures? lol
A point to add to my original one from last year: for my degree- International Relations, we had to cite academic sources, so even if we heard something useful in a lecture, we had to go away and find it in another source anyway.
I've been to all of them so far, but some of them are so slow, especially if you're already confident with the content.
I missed lecture today because I knew it would be recorded later on and there was no point me commuting 45 minutes just for a 1hr lecture!

I have listened to the lecture so I didn't actually miss anything :smile:
Literally because I over sleep. I'd never miss a lecture if I was awake. Workshops are different though

Posted from TSR Mobile
lecturers can be dull¬!!!!!
There are plenty of reasons why! It could be that:
- They had a heavy night out and are hungover
- They had to drop their little ones to school and ended up being late
- Woke up late
- Did an alnighter
- Just couldn't be bothered

I have to go because I have a notetaker which is also fair enough as well! It encourages me to go as I know I am going to get vital information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 1st year I attended them all. Second year much less so and by 3rd year I was attending the minimum amount in order not to be dragged before a progress panel.

Personally, I went to uni to learn more about a subject that fascinated me but found myself just studying for exams and having no time to learn for the sake of learning. I felt very pressured to learn quickly and get 60%+. I favored passing my exams and coursework and getting a 2.1 over absorbing the content of each and every lecture (in reality, that's impossible).
In 2nd/3rd year I chose carefully which lectures/seminars to attend based on how much I judged them to be beneficial to me. Most of them were accessible online and it was quicker to skim read online notes and glean only the most important info from them than to sit through an hour lecture plus travel time there and back. I could get more done in an hour at my desk in the library than in the hour in most lectures.

I got my 2.1 and wouldn't have done it any differently, however, for my next degree I'll be attending every lecture/seminar because I actually want to learn and not just pass the exams. I lost interest in my first degree and I was just doing it for the piece of paper. I'm actually interested in my 2nd degree and want a career from it and I'd like to be knowledgeable at work since I'll be treating patients.

So yeah, for me it was a totally practical thing - I was just cutting the fat off the meat and skipping straight to the most useful stuff and ignoring everything else. Worked for me.

Just curious how you're planning on financing it! Was considering a second degree but it's pretty difficult I'd think without government aids! :smile:
Original post by SkyRees
Just curious how you're planning on financing it! Was considering a second degree but it's pretty difficult I'd think without government aids! :smile:

Tution fees for my 2nd degree are NHS funded and I'll receive a reduced rate maintenance loan. I've also been working on and off since I started my first degree and I've been saving the vast majority of my earnings which I've put into an ISA since 1st year of my first degree (it was originally intended for an MA which I decided not to pursue). So tuition fees aren't a concern due to NHS funding and transport/books/general stuff will be covered by my reduced rate maintenance loan and my savings. My living costs are non-existent since I'll be living between my parent's homes - I'm very lucky that they are so supportive of my decision to retrain and return to uni. Without their support it would be impossible, financially, since I wouldn't be able to afford accommodation. Basically, it's only affordable because I've worked really hard to save my earnings, because my family are allowing me to live rent free and because my degree will be NHS funded.

For any other degree, I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible unless you came into a lot of money - i.e inheritance or a lottery win. Edit: it's also possible to do a second degree through to Open University and it wouldn't be as financially daunting because you can do it 1 or 2 modules per year. For example, I'm studying with the OU this year and it cost me £500 for one module for the whole year (includes books sent in the post, access to online library, resources, tutorials, occasional face to face tutorials and exams). You could do about 6 years (I'm sure you can spend about 10 years with the OU!) and get a full degree without putting yourself under massive financial strain - so long as you already have a decent income to gradually pay off the course module by module you could do it that way. It depends on how quickly you want the degree though and what your financial priorities are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
No value in attending a lecture when you can't actually hear the lecturer or concentrate on what they are saying because everyone in the hall is talking over them, or their phones are constantly going off. Also with some lecturers all they do is read from the powerpoints so I will only go to those occasionally. One of my lecturers expands on everything from the slides and is really informative, so I have not missed any of theirs :smile:
Tution fees for my 2nd degree are NHS funded and I'll receive a reduced rate maintenance loan. I've also been working on and off since I started my first degree and I've been saving the vast majority of my earnings which I've put into an ISA since 1st year of my first degree (it was originally intended for an MA which I decided not to pursue). So tuition fees aren't a concern due to NHS funding and transport/books/general stuff will be covered by my reduced rate maintenance loan and my savings. My living costs are non-existent since I'll be living between my parent's homes - I'm very lucky that they are so supportive of my decision to retrain and return to uni. Without their support it would be impossible, financially, since I wouldn't be able to afford accommodation. Basically, it's only affordable because I've worked really hard to save my earnings, because my family are allowing me to live rent free and because my degree will be NHS funded.

For any other degree, I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible unless you came into a lot of money - i.e inheritance or a lottery win. Edit: it's also possible to do a second degree through to Open University and it wouldn't be as financially daunting because you can do it 1 or 2 modules per year. For example, I'm studying with the OU this year and it cost me £500 for one module for the whole year (includes books sent in the post, access to online library, resources, tutorials, occasional face to face tutorials and exams). You could do about 6 years (I'm sure you can spend about 10 years with the OU!) and get a full degree without putting yourself under massive financial strain - so long as you already have a decent income to gradually pay off the course module by module you could do it that way. It depends on how quickly you want the degree though and what your financial priorities are.

What was your degree? And that does sound wise, thanks for the advice! Best of luck to you :smile:
Original post by SkyRees
What was your degree? And that does sound wise, thanks for the advice! Best of luck to you :smile:

My first degree was Philosophy. Thanks very much :smile:.
Reply 36
Original post by beruangmacan
had a lecture with the parrot lecturer stuttered and very confused with her own slide material

LMAO - parrot lecturer!

I effin hate parrot lecturers! I feel like throwing them some crackers after a lecture! Polly want a cracker!?
I didn't attend a single lecture after my first term of uni. Why?

- Awkward times. For example a 5-6pm lecture on Thursday night, or a 9-10am lecture on a Friday morning when the main student night out was on the Thursday night? Yeh that was happening.
- All material is available online
- Content is only the bare minimum and you'll cover it in your reading anyway
- Didn't know anyone in the classes
- Boring material. There's always one **** compulsory module that you're made to do which nobody enjoyed. I remember an angry email going around in my second year once when 6 people turned up to a lecture - our course had over 100 people on it.
- Had more important things to do e.g essays, revising for modules or going to work.

Didn't affect my grades at all. I turned up to seminars which actually made a difference and helped me, but lectures for my subject were pointless and added nothing. The most ridiculous one was having a tutorial on how to use the library halfway through the second term, when our course was very reading intensive and everyone would have known that information anyway. Unsuprisingly nobody went to it.
Original post by sr90
x.

:adore:

Well done :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm studying with the OU this year and it cost me £500 for one module for the whole year (includes books sent in the post, access to online library, resources, tutorials, occasional face to face tutorials and exams).

What module is that? The OU raised their fees in 2012, a 60-credit module used to cost around £600 but now its £2700. An OU degree now costs £16,200 - less than a brick university degree, but still not affordable for most people if you can't get a loan.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending