The Student Room Group

My girlfriend broke up with me and I'm not coping well at all...

Hi, last Sunday my girlfriend broke up with me, stating that she doesn't know for sure if we're meant to be together in the future after being together a year, I'm 23 she's 20 ... I'm still absolutely devastated...

The worst thing is we never argued ( have minor silly disagreements) have similar interests, cared deeply about each other. She said she can see us having a house together in the future and on the other hand she can see us not working.

She said I did nothing wrong and couldn't have been a better boyfriend, but she said instead of taking a break she said she doesn't want to be in a relationship ATM with me, she's said she doesn't want me to put my life on hold as it isn't fair ... Basically this is her reasoning from a text she sent "I wish I knew what I wanted for definite too! You have given me everything, you've done nothing wrong, and I still don't know if I'm meant to be with you...that's what worries me. I don't need to be alone, I just don't want to be in a relationship with you at the moment and I know we'll miss each other so was just putting it out there to meet in 2 weeks, but I understand that would be hard for you so you obz don't have too. I know you don't deserve to be kept on hold and I'm not doing that. But I just know that I might realise I've made a massive mistake and it might be too late by then, you'll have moved on/don't want to be with me...but I feel its a risk I need to take and if its meant to be it will be, and I know you don't believe in that stuff but I do so please respect that. I didn't want to go on a break, I don't really understand them"

Even of its a 1% chance I am going to fight for her and if that means let her be alone I am willing to.. A lot of people have said move on, cut contact, plenty more fish in the sea but I couldn't even think of having another woman in my life. She did say a small factor was the fact that my mother and I do not get on a lot and I think she feels that she controls me ... She feels that's a small detail but I think it's bigger than she thinks... She has also stated how she's worried about after uni and she's stressed about her uni work load...

sorry for the length!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, last Sunday my girlfriend broke up with me, stating that she doesn't know for sure if we're meant to be together in the future after being together a year, I'm 23 she's 20 ... I'm still absolutely devastated...

The worst thing is we never argued ( have minor silly disagreements) have similar interests, cared deeply about each other. She said she can see us having a house together in the future and on the other hand she can see us not working.

She said I did nothing wrong and couldn't have been a better boyfriend, but she said instead of taking a break she said she doesn't want to be in a relationship ATM with me, she's said she doesn't want me to put my life on hold as it isn't fair ... Basically this is her reasoning from a text she sent "I wish I knew what I wanted for definite too! You have given me everything, you've done nothing wrong, and I still don't know if I'm meant to be with you...that's what worries me. I don't need to be alone, I just don't want to be in a relationship with you at the moment and I know we'll miss each other so was just putting it out there to meet in 2 weeks, but I understand that would be hard for you so you obz don't have too. I know you don't deserve to be kept on hold and I'm not doing that. But I just know that I might realise I've made a massive mistake and it might be too late by then, you'll have moved on/don't want to be with me...but I feel its a risk I need to take and if its meant to be it will be, and I know you don't believe in that stuff but I do so please respect that. I didn't want to go on a break, I don't really understand them"

Even of its a 1% chance I am going to fight for her and if that means let her be alone I am willing to.. A lot of people have said move on, cut contact, plenty more fish in the sea but I couldn't even think of having another woman in my life. She did say a small factor was the fact that my mother and I do not get on a lot and I think she feels that she controls me ... She feels that's a small detail but I think it's bigger than she thinks... She has also stated how she's worried about after uni and she's stressed about her uni work load...

sorry for the length!

Dude harsh reality is she might not feel the same about you. I think she might have the 'youth' syndrome where she sees her mates going out and wild partying and stuff and she feels she's missing out. I had a close mate who got f****** by that syndrome and they were going out for 6 years since 16. Take it on the chin.. Cry it out by all means but you will become stronger because of this and more wiser. Trust me.
Reply 2
It sounds like she is stressed with a few issues in her life and needs some time to sort them out. The stress at university is probably the primary factor, along with cold feet. I know this is a difficult situation to be in, but I think you just need to give her time to think. Talk to her again in a few weeks and tell her how you feel, and listen to what she has to say. Hoping for the best.
Reply 3
The thing is she said she still wants me in her life as a friend at least, as apparently suck a big part in her life. she still responds to my texts asking me things that she would when we were dating and putting "xxx" on the end of texts etc.

You say she's sees her mates partying but I never stopped her going out, she usually always went out if her mates did. But in terms not feeling the same about me, do you think she sees me as a friend now?
Reply 4
Sometimes people fall out of 'liking' with each other naturally rather than after a big argument. From a boys perspective I fell out with my Ex and she kinda knew it. Did you notice small signs over the last couple months that things were sometimes different?
Reply 5
Original post by Tiri
Sometimes people fall out of 'liking' with each other naturally rather than after a big argument. From a boys perspective I fell out with my Ex and she kinda knew it. Did you notice small signs over the last couple months that things were sometimes different?

The only thing I realised is that we had sex less often, but speaking to other people that's natural.

She said to me recently that she's heard people say that her mates are gonna move in with their boyfriend and that they know they're the one for them and she said how do I know this ... I'm her first bf (she's my first gf). She said to me she wants more than anything for it to be a mistake. and in terms of my mother she said it's a big deal for her that in laws get on as her mum and grandmothers relationship was very bad and it was a small reason why my gf's parents divorced. I wish I could show her things can be different, and that I am starting to branch away from my mum and not let her get to me, as she used to feel angry at the way she used to speak to me and make me feel
Reply 6
In terms of contact she said she would like to hang out next week. And we've texted everyday. Would you reply, and as I do want her in my life in some capacity, surely there's no reason to be rude and completely ignore her?
Maybe she genuinely got cold feet, or maybe she's seeing someone else? Idk
I hope it works out for you OP
Similar situation I'm in, but roles reversed. Give her time, allow her to get her head straight. She may have some problems at the moment which she is stressed about and doesn't want to lash out onto you, so she's decided to have a break. Don't worry, don't be clingy. Give her time. Hopefully she'll want to continue the relationship after she's thought things through. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of contact she said she would like to hang out next week. And we've texted everyday. Would you reply, and as I do want her in my life in some capacity, surely there's no reason to be rude and completely ignore her?

Dont let her pick and choose when you see each other, because she'll take advantage of that. She's clearly undecisive about taking things foward and you dont deserve that bro, seeing as you seem to have been good to her
Reply 10
Mate she is not worth your time or effort. Move on, find someone better.
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Similar situation I'm in, but roles reversed. Give her time, allow her to get her head straight. She may have some problems at the moment which she is stressed about and doesn't want to lash out onto you, so she's decided to have a break. Don't worry, don't be clingy. Give her time. Hopefully she'll want to continue the relationship after she's thought things through. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you see any chance for you and your bf getting back together? Are you speaking at all? Should I reply to her messages?

She needs to get her head straight. We aren't on a break... Today she changed her relationship status and profile pic on Facebook as her family asked about me and said it looked like we were still together :frown:. Even her family really liked me all apparently telling me what a "nice boy" I am I wish it was making her realise potentially the mistake she's making ...
Best thing to do it not to talk to her - honestly mate. If she wants you, she'll come back (don't bank on that though). Just go out, enjoy yourself and see what the world has to offer. You're 23 and was only going out with her for a year!
Do you see any chance for you and your bf getting back together? Are you speaking at all? Should I reply to her messages?

She needs to get her head straight. We aren't on a break... Today she changed her relationship status and profile pic on Facebook as her family asked about me and said it looked like we were still together :frown:. Even her family really liked me all apparently telling me what a "nice boy" I am I wish it was making her realise potentially the mistake she's making ...

Yeah, I think we'll probably get back together. However because every relationship is different, I can't speak for your girlfriend. I spoke to him about it today and we've exchanged a few texts. I can tell I've hurt him and he hasn't replied much/kept cutting me off. I think you should reply and see how it goes. If you honestly think she doesn't want to be your girlfriend anymore, ask her for the very last time. Ask her simple questions, for example 'Do you want to be my girlfriend, just friends or nothing? Should I try to let go and move on? What do you want from me?' See her reaction and go from there. If she doesn't want to be with you, then I'm sorry but you're going to have to let her go. But if you don't think you can do that, then suggest being friends, as long as she's in your life, I guess.

If she's changed her fb status and picture then I'm afraid it doesn't look too good :/ aw, I'm really sorry about this. Try to keep yourself busy in the meantime, try not to dwell over this. I know it's difficult but there really is more to life than a girlfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I think we'll probably get back together. However because every relationship is different, I can't speak for your girlfriend. I spoke to him about it today and we've exchanged a few texts. I can tell I've hurt him and he hasn't replied much/kept cutting me off. I think you should reply and see how it goes. If you honestly think she doesn't want to be your girlfriend anymore, ask her for the very last time. Ask her simple questions, for example 'Do you want to be my girlfriend, just friends or nothing? Should I try to let go and move on? What do you want from me?' See her reaction and go from there. If she doesn't want to be with you, then I'm sorry but you're going to have to let her go. But if you don't think you can do that, then suggest being friends, as long as she's in your life, I guess.

If she's changed her fb status and picture then I'm afraid it doesn't look too good :/ aw, I'm really sorry about this. Try to keep yourself busy in the meantime, try not to dwell over this. I know it's difficult but there really is more to life than a girlfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've asked her that two days after, and she said I can't ask you not to move on as it wouldn't be fair. I think I need to see her in person next Sunday as it would have been two weeks.

Oh so you broke up with him? Did he ever act out and sometimes give petty responses etc?
I've asked her that two days after, and she said I can't ask you not to move on as it wouldn't be fair. I think I need to see her in person next Sunday as it would have been two weeks.

Oh so you broke up with him? Did he ever act out and sometimes give petty responses etc?

Yep seeing her in person is a good idea, it's always best to talk about serious things in person rather than text/phone call.

What do you mean by 'act out'? He's a very emotional and sensitive guy, so yeah I guess he has given many petty replies. He tends to turn everything around onto me, you know, he twist things. That's what made matters worse between us because we can't even communicate properly. Also we're long distance so communication is key.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry for the length!

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it sounds like she's just not that into you. It sounds a bit like how I broke up with my first girlfriend, we'd been together a while, she was sweet, we had fun, but it reached a point where I wasn't in love with her, I knew my feelings just weren't strong enough. It's really hard when it's your first relationship, because you have nothing to judge it against.

You say "I couldn't even think of having another woman in my life", that's normal, it's your first relationship and it's raw, you've just got to give it some time, you will move on.
Yep seeing her in person is a good idea, it's always best to talk about serious things in person rather than text/phone call.

What do you mean by 'act out'? He's a very emotional and sensitive guy, so yeah I guess he has given many petty replies. He tends to turn everything around onto me, you know, he twist things. That's what made matters worse between us because we can't even communicate properly. Also we're long distance so communication is key.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I mean, cos I'm trying my best to be civil as I'm very sensitive and emotional as it is

Sorry to keep tagging you but if you wanted a break, would things like not replying to texts as quick as you usually would and not speaking on the phone or face to face be enough to give her the sufficient time and space needed. Or would you say being the person who needs a break/ space, would you say I should mostly all ties?
Original post by Mankytoes
I know it's not what you want to hear, but it sounds like she's just not that into you. It sounds a bit like how I broke up with my first girlfriend, we'd been together a while, she was sweet, we had fun, but it reached a point where I wasn't in love with her, I knew my feelings just weren't strong enough. It's really hard when it's your first relationship, because you have nothing to judge it against.

You say "I couldn't even think of having another woman in my life", that's normal, it's your first relationship and it's raw, you've just got to give it some time, you will move on.

She said she has nothing to compare it too so that's why I feel so strongly to try. And even though you knew I'm sure she tried to convince you otherwise?
That's what I mean, cos I'm trying my best to be civil as I'm very sensitive and emotional as it is

Sorry to keep tagging you but if you wanted a break, would things like not replying to texts as quick as you usually would and not speaking on the phone or face to face be enough to give her the sufficient time and space needed. Or would you say being the person who needs a break/ space, would you say I should mostly all ties?

To be honest, I don't think I can answer your questions because I don't want to tell you anything that might ruin it with you and her. Every relationship is different, every girl is different. But because you've been with her for a year, you should think about how she would like to be treated and also how you would like to be treated if it was you who dumped her. Looking back at your situation, it's a little different to mine. She doesn't seem to know what she wants, she's confused. I'm sorry but I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I don't want you to act on what I say or anything, you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending