The Student Room Group

Should I appeal a rejection from The University of Nottingham?

I've just received a notification informing me The University of Nottingham have rejected my offer to study Chemical Engineering with Foundation Year, and I really want to appeal.

I had my heart set on going there, I done a Sutton Trust summer school there and I am currently on the Ambition Nottingham scheme. The entry requirements are variable but typically BBC and I'm predicted BBB. I know I didn't do as well as expected in my AS grades I got CDDE and was predicted AABB last year but there was exceptional circumstances (my grandad was diagnosed with cancer in May and was critically ill throughout exams) all this was explained in my reference.

I have emailed to ask for feedback, do you recon it would be worth phoning up and asking if i could talk to a admissions officer when I'm next down there next week with the Ambition Nottingham Scheme?

Any advice would be great !
Original post by lilyelizabeth96
I've just received a notification informing me The University of Nottingham have rejected my offer to study Chemical Engineering with Foundation Year, and I really want to appeal.

I had my heart set on going there, I done a Sutton Trust summer school there and I am currently on the Ambition Nottingham scheme. The entry requirements are variable but typically BBC and I'm predicted BBB. I know I didn't do as well as expected in my AS grades I got CDDE and was predicted AABB last year but there was exceptional circumstances (my grandad was diagnosed with cancer in May and was critically ill throughout exams) all this was explained in my reference.

I have emailed to ask for feedback, do you recon it would be worth phoning up and asking if i could talk to a admissions officer when I'm next down there next week with the Ambition Nottingham Scheme?

You could do, but I wouldn't get too hopeful. Whilst I'm really sorry about those circumstances, you've got t consider it from the perspective of the admissions department. Regardless of what you might think, the admissions tutors simply are not going to believe those predicted grades. Whilst it's possible to jump up by more than a level at A2, going from a D to a B is extremely rare and you're simply not a safe bet for them. Extenuating circumstances might help you if you were a grade or two below the entry requirements but you're quite a bit beyond that. Good luck though ):
Original post by lilyelizabeth96

It's definitely worth a try - the worst they can say is no. I'm surprised that you've been rejected outright when you're involved in an outreach scheme tbh.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/admissions/admissionsfeedback,appealsandcomplaints.aspx is worth a read though - you can't appeal only complain if you can't get anywhere informally.
Original post by PQ
It's definitely worth a try - the worst they can say is no. I'm surprised that you've been rejected outright when you're involved in an outreach scheme tbh.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/admissions/admissionsfeedback,appealsandcomplaints.aspx is worth a read though - you can't appeal only complain if you can't get anywhere informally.

Thats great thanks I'm gonna give them a call in the morning
I went from a D to a B overall at A-level, anything is possible, but maybe not in their eyes. As sorry as I am to hear about your situation, it may not be possible for you to get them to change their mind, after they've made a decision. Have you considered any other options, different universities?
Original post by abbiemac
I went from a D to a B overall at A-level, anything is possible, but maybe not in their eyes. As sorry as I am to hear about your situation, it may not be possible for you to get them to change their mind, after they've made a decision. Have you considered any other options, different universities?

I have had a offer from Manchester which i know is e excellent uni, I just really had my hear set on Nottingham :frown:
It sounds like they might not have acknowledged your involvement in the outreach scheme or something? Like it's been said before, it would be a risk to give you an offer because turning CDDE into BBC would be a lot of work, but you sound like you really want to go to Nottingham so I'm sure you'd manage it. It's worth giving them a call, you never know what they might say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending