The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quit course after few months, fees...

Hello, I started an Open Uni Course in October 2012. Due to not liking the course I left after a few months. I applied for a loan with Student Finance England, however since leaving the Uni I have not had any correspondence from the Uni or Student Finance asking me to pay the loan back.

I am currently doing the Access to Higher Education Diploma and am applying for University entry for September 2015 and will be applying for a student loan. I am worried that there will be some sort of complication with this.

I have contacted the Uni and am waiting to hear what they say.

Has anyone else got any experience with this situation?
Original post by DPOJ
Hello, I started an Open Uni Course in October 2012. Due to not liking the course I left after a few months. I applied for a loan with Student Finance England, however since leaving the Uni I have not had any correspondence from the Uni or Student Finance asking me to pay the loan back.

I am currently doing the Access to Higher Education Diploma and am applying for University entry for September 2015 and will be applying for a student loan. I am worried that there will be some sort of complication with this.

I have contacted the Uni and am waiting to hear what they say.

Has anyone else got any experience with this situation?

There is no reason why the OU or SFE would contact you. You don't start repaying the loan until you are earning more than £21,000 per year. You will receive another full loan. Everyone is entitled a loan that covers the cost of their degree plus one extra 'gift' year. You have now used up your 'gift' year (even though you left the OU after only a few months). That shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't drop out or need to repeat any years.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest