The Student Room Group

Interrailing questions

Hi guys

I have a few questions, if you can answer them it will be appreciated.

1) how do you plan out your route? Is it best to start with a country close to England, as that's where I live. Then the next country be close to the country you started with.

2) I live in Devon and plan on visiting Amsterdam first. Can I get the Euro train to Amsterdam or would I have to fly?

3) I know it depends on how much I spend etc, but do you think £1200 will be enough for 30 days?

4) if you were going for 30 days, how many countries would you visit? I was thinking 8, around 3 days at each country?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
:smile:
Original post by will_doyle
Hi guys

1) how do you plan out your route? Is it best to start with a country close to England, as that's where I live. Then the next country be close to the country you started with.

2) I live in Devon and plan on visiting Amsterdam first. Can I get the Euro train to Amsterdam or would I have to fly?

3) I know it depends on how much I spend etc, but do you think £1200 will be enough for 30 days?

4) if you were going for 30 days, how many countries would you visit? I was thinking 8, around 3 days at each country?

Hi, firstly this thread is very useful and contains a lot of good advice: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1266292

1) The interrail pass isn't valid in your own country so whatever you do you'll have to pay to get into the continent. Don't feel you have to start somewhere close to home for this reason, you can get flights as far south as Croatia fairly cheaply if booked in advance. Then use a website like bahn.de to check if there are train connections in order to work out your route from there. The interrail website also provides a map with all of the train connections on it.

2) Sort of answered above, your interrail pass won't be valid for any trains in the UK or the Eurostar (without paying a large reservation fee). Easyjet, however, offer very cheap flights and it's also very quick, so I'd recommend flying. Another option is to get the Dutch Flyer boat-train from London to Amsterdam. It's a lot more expensive and takes more time but it could be more interesting than a flight.

3) £1200 should be fine

4) 8 or 9 countries sounds just about right

Enjoy your trip!
Reply 3
Hi guys

1) When I did it, I flew to the furthest place I was wanting to travel, then worked my way back to England through the other countries.

2) I'm not sure. Have you looked at flights to Amsterdam? ( You'll love Amsterdam by the way )

3) I would have thought so. It depends what countries your planning on visiting and what time of the year also. If you can cook your own food, then you're saving a lot of money already, and if you don't mind sleeping in high priced hostels, that will cut your cost. ( I recommend taking ear plugs though as sometimes the people you share with might not be so considerate ).

4) That sounds good. I think it's better to visit lots of countries in short amounts of times like 2-3 days then move. I've never been to a place and thought, I needed more time. I have met people who have stayed in a place for a week or so, which in my opinion is way too long. Just pack everything you want to do in a short space of time, and give yourself the extra day to just relax a little. The travelling does get very tiring.

5) Have a good time! Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 4
Thanks for the replys guys.

I plan on going at the end of May 2015 to the end of June....but im worried it may be too busy at the end of May due to half term?

Also, when can I buy buy interrail ticket?

Do I need the 30 day pass?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replys guys.

I plan on going at the end of May 2015 to the end of June....but im worried it may be too busy at the end of May due to half term?

Also, when can I buy buy interrail ticket?

Do I need the 30 day pass?

Hey Will,

You can find all the information on http://www.interrail.eu/interrail-passes/global-pass

Don't worry about buying your ticket yet, there's still plenty of time. Plus if you keep checking on the website, they might do discounts at certain points. I've just been inter-railing this May with my friend, and because we went in May we got around a 20% discount I think (we bought the pass in March/April time).

You only need the 30 day pass if you plan on travelling for the 30 days. Also be aware that sometimes you need to reserve a place on the train before you travel to the next destination, which usually costs a few euros. All in all though, it does save you a lot of money if you travel to a lot of countries during the time frame. If you need any more help/information on anything, contact me.

Quick Reply

Latest