The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jonatan
Hmm, Im a little bit confused. Is discrete maths the same as the groups? I guess it isnt, but sometimes they name the options differently, and I dont remember what the question said.

No, I think the one you are talking about is set/group theory right? Discrete is split 50/50 between number theory and graph theory. Typical problems involve Euler cycles, travelling salesman, minimal spanning tree (graph theory) and difference equations, mods, primes (number theory). It is actually quite a nice and funf option, a lot better than stats. No offence all of you stats people, but stats is unbeliviebly boring.
Reply 21
Ataxus
Pretty easy

I missed a few marks on number 3 (complex numbers) cause I'm not that great at them, some miscellaneous marks on other problems, and a few marks on the stat option cause I'm stupid :biggrin:

Correct me if Im wrong, but "number 3 (complex numbers)"? On paper 2 there was no questions on complex numbers was there? And on paper 1 question three had to do with curve intersection (don't ask me how i remember stuff like this :smile:). You sure you took the (same) HL exam? Am I, as we say in Sweden, out biking?
Reply 22
burje-t
You sure you took the (same) HL exam? Am I, as we say in Sweden, out biking?
hehe "ute å kjører" we say in Norway
differrent regions may have different exams to avoid cheating due to time-zones
Reply 23
burje-t
No, I think the one you are talking about is set/group theory right? Discrete is split 50/50 between number theory and graph theory. Typical problems involve Euler cycles, travelling salesman, minimal spanning tree (graph theory) and difference equations, mods, primes (number theory). It is actually quite a nice and funf option, a lot better than stats. No offence all of you stats people, but stats is unbeliviebly boring.

Stats can be interesting when you have it at high level, but it is so bloody time consuming!

Yea, I did teh sets relations and Groups. Basicly, group theory is the second derivative of maths ( Algebra is teh first derivative). Not only have you obandoned specific numbers in favour of variables, but you have also obandoned the basic mathematical operators (+ - * / ) in favour of general rules for for how an operator is to function. In addition there is no longer any need for matsh to deal with numbers. I remember one question were the group was a cube with six different colours on every face, and its orientation was the set. I think you use Group theory in order to show that if you switch two pieces in a rubik's cube it is no longer solveable.
Reply 24
burje-t
Correct me if Im wrong, but "number 3 (complex numbers)"? On paper 2 there was no questions on complex numbers was there? And on paper 1 question three had to do with curve intersection (don't ask me how i remember stuff like this :smile:). You sure you took the (same) HL exam? Am I, as we say in Sweden, out biking?

Jag var ute och syklade innan och äfter min examen idag, men lyckligtvis inte under.
Reply 25
3 on mine was complex numbers, its possible we have different forms tho
Reply 26
Jonatan
Jag var ute och syklade innan och äfter min examen idag, men lyckligtvis inte under.
ROFL
what is it with you and wordgames these days?
or am I just over-analysing everything as a direct result of being in extreme-IB exam mode?
Reply 27
Linda
ROFL
what is it with you and wordgames these days?
or am I just over-analysing everything as a direct result of being in extreme-IB exam mode?

I like word games cus I knwo how to cheat in them :biggrin:
Reply 28
Jonatan

Syklade? Äfter? Inte så, men hur länge har du varit i Norge egentligen? "Cyklade" och "efter" stavar man det....:smile:
Reply 29
seems like im the only one that found paper 2 harder than all the past papers!i managed to get 6 in all the past papers bt feel like getting a 4 here!

Must say now that ive had little explinations of how to do questions im hitting myself over getting them wrong
Reply 30
portugal
seems like im the only one that found paper 2 harder than all the past papers!i managed to get 6 in all the past papers bt feel like getting a 4 here!

Must say now that ive had little explinations of how to do questions im hitting myself over getting them wrong

Personally, I found paper 2 harder than paper 1. Still, compared to previous years it wasnt that bad I think. Which parts did you find hard to do? I suppose the vector and the induction proof was hard but other than that? Which option did you take?
Reply 31
Jonatan

Paper 1 I think was average. Queastion 19 was without doubt the most difficult, but I think I managed it in the end.

Paper 2 was average.... nothing difficult. I absolutely LOVED paper 1. They should put more tricky questions like no 19 and 20. I love those.
Reply 32
i actualyl foudn the first question hard..i wasnt sure how to do the transformations of that kind of matrix, i was only used to the 2 x 2 ones! hadnt done the other since year 10 so cudnt remember at all!

then i messed up the probability one, (got method correct though..put a number wrong :mad: )..then i messed up the bisecting question..i pretty much aced question 5 (not too sure about method for induction, bt it seems right!) and then i got confused in the statistics (question 6) part with the coin.

apologies for typos, lack of punctuation, and lack of paragraphs!
portugal
i pretty much aced question 5 (not too sure about method for induction, bt it seems right!) and then i got confused in the statistics (question 6) part with the coin.

I completely blew question 5. Brain Freeze or something...all i did was the first part (you know, the easy bit with cos(A+B). I also do stats, and i didn't really get the coin thing either, but about 10 minutes before the end of the exam i think i figured it out- H1 being that all coins are fair, chi-squared test statistic, binomial distribution. hey, only time will tell- good luck with the rest of the exams. Next week i have english H, bio S and French S...better study.
Reply 34
Yeah question five was kinda tricky.
But it came out alright with the trig identities..
And the induction proof was quite straight forward
since you basically had done it with the first three parts of the
question. Having found n=1 and n=2 and then rearranging
the eqn from part c (along with some explanation) gave you the proof.

Edit: Or don't think you had to rearrange anything, just reason it out me thinks..
Reply 35
burje-t
Syklade? Äfter? Inte så, men hur länge har du varit i Norge egentligen? "Cyklade" och "efter" stavar man det....:smile:

Hmm. I have aswedish exam on monday and cant spell swedish :frown: I have been here for 6 years so now I cant spell any language.

Latest

Trending

Trending