The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
I definitely see where your coming from, I didn't say he was attacking Sikhism but that he dosent believe in it and obviously disregards it so this may not lead to a long and fruitful marriage, however much you want this to happen. How long have you been with him? Just be on the safe side and wait a bit would be my advice as remember when you say something you can't take it back. It's going to make you look kind of silly if you say you want to marry this guy and then you break up. However, I know you are thinking long term, but if you play tactically then wen you have been together for a while you can tell people as then it is more unlikely you will split up. I can see where you are coming from but most Sikhs don't think like that, well the older lot anyway and they wouldn't want to see there daughters shagging around. It's just a product of yh culture unfortunately and I can't see these views changing for a while yet.

Hi

I am not "shagging around". He is my only boyfriend and only guy I have made love with. I dont want anyone else.

In regards to the rest of your advice, I can see that it does make sense.
Reply 21
Original post by KiranKaur1994
Thanks. I would like to think my family will not behave like this. I hope they see how happy I am and support me and my boyfriend.

Dont worry I wont get bored of him. I cant live without him and miss him even if I am not near him for 1 minute!

Tbh you're too old for this puppy love, you do that in school or college. I'm sorry to tell you, but it's puppy love. Anyone will tell you.

Most girls get emotionally attached to the guy they lost their virginity too (not all obviously) and i think you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slade p
If if you want to marry then go do your own thing but don't expect people to accept it and to get you married in a gurdwara.

I dont see why I shouldnt get married in a gudwara. Other mixed couples have got married in gudwaras including the one my dad goes to.
Yes you should. It's fifty-fifty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by AR_95

Some one had to do it.

Thx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Tbh you're too old for this puppy love, you do that in school or college. I'm sorry to tell you, but it's puppy love. Anyone will tell you.

Most girls get emotionally attached to the guy they lost their virginity too (not all obviously) and i think you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

I like to think I am a mature person so I know this is the guy for me. Its not just "puppy love"
Reply 26
Hi

I like to think I am a mature person so I know this is the guy for me. Its not just "puppy love"

Says everyone at that age in puppy love. Think of yourself 5 years in the future laughing at yourself for being so foolish.

This is nothing do with him being black either. I dont believe 19 year olds make marriages for life.

You got some here giving you advice from the bowels of Broken Britain, dont take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Says everyone at that age in puppy love. Think of yourself 5 years in the future laughing at yourself for being so foolish.

This is nothing do with him being black either. I dont believe 19 year olds make marriages for life.

You got some here giving you advice from the bowels of Broken Britain, dont take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your time to reply but there are many people with partners for life in Britain. I dont think my relationship will ever break
Reply 28
I appreciate your time to reply but there are many people with partners for life in Britain. I dont think my relationship will ever break

You didn't read it. I didn't dispute that, I disputed the marriages that last from 19. That's all. You know I have a point.

But to each their own, good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of people get married and stay married at nineteen. Statistically, the majority of people marry someone they knew in their teenage years so to say it's just puppy love may reflect YOUR personal experiences with relationships at nineteen or whatever rather than this girls one. You can't make blanket statements like that when you don't know her. she may be hugely mature and they may be together for a long time so why not focus on what she's actually asking rather than responding as though you no teenage relationships have ever lasted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think this is tricky. My friend is in a similar but not really, situation as she is Sikh and her boyfriend is black vs he's too scared to tell her parents because of outdated (no offence) tradition. I think it depends on how strict your parents are and how much you love this guy. If your parents really would disown you then you've got a choice to make. If it was me I'd casually slip it into a theoretical conversation and see how they react before I may any real decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by livvydibby
Lots of people get married and stay married at nineteen. Statistically, the majority of people marry someone they knew in their teenage years so to say it's just puppy love may reflect YOUR personal experiences with relationships at nineteen or whatever rather than this girls one. You can't make blanket statements like that when you don't know her. she may be hugely mature and they may be together for a long time so why not focus on what she's actually asking rather than responding as though you no teenage relationships have ever lasted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where's your statistics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should express to your parents how much you really do love him, but I wouldn't do this right away. How long have you been together???

I would wait till around the 2 year period until you consider marriage, just because then you have really got to know the true person inside. Honestly after being in a relationship for nearly 3 years I think the 2 year mark is the correct time when you know things are serious enough to discuss that, especially with parents who are strict.

you want to convince then that you are serious and that you really do love him.

I know now he may seem like your one true love. but honestly things do change and I cant deny that. he will become more comfortable with you and over the years as you mature he will change, and you may not like all the changes, you may also be troubled that he does not agree with your religion or respects your families beliefs. I know you dont want to hear that it will may end because now your madly in love with him, but time tells!! I can vouch for long term!! I'm still with the first serious boyfriend I had, and we have been going strong since year 10 of high school.

Religion shouldnt define the way you live your life, and if you want to marry out of your religion thats perfectly normal and completely up to you, not your family. Families should look beyond religious beliefs when it comes to the feelings of their children, they should always come first, and I'm sure they will come around if you convince them you are serious.

It is always best though when the time comes to prepare for the worst.
Hey, I'm a Sikh guy.

I respect your decision to choose a partner regardless of race or religion. However, your liberal choice of partner will probably result in your parents disowning you. I'm incredibly sorry to say this, but it's true. In regards to you wanting to be married in a gurdwara, I really doubt that's a possibility. Despite the Gurus (Nanak in particular) stressing the importance of accepting marriages between different races and religions, Sikhism is plagued by some degree of elitism.

For me, it really comes down to whether or not you want to be with this guy forever. If that's the case, it may be worth sacrificing your family. After all, who knows? They may warm up to your relationship in due time.

Best of luck.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'm a Sikh guy.

I respect your decision to choose a partner regardless of race or religion. However, your liberal choice of partner will probably result in your parents disowning you. I'm incredibly sorry to say this, but it's true. In regards to you wanting to be married in a gurdwara, I really doubt that's a possibility. Despite the Gurus (Nanak in particular) stressing the importance of accepting marriages between different races and religions, Sikhism is plagued by some degree of elitism.

For me, it really comes down to whether or not you want to be with this guy forever. If that's the case, it may be worth sacrificing your family. After all, who knows? They may warm up to your relationship in due time.

Best of luck.

Have a a +8 sir.
To be honest, if you want to get married and his views on the turban or getting married in a Gurdwara are that. I wouldn't take him to a Gurdwara. If anything its causing more harm than anything, as its disrespectful in terms of he has separated himself from God, and thus should not be directly in front of the teachings of God. For example even in Christianity Jesus has said if you disown me in front of your friends, than I will disown you in front of my Father. Having said that, I would strongly advise you to go ahead and get a court marriage or something. As both of you don't seem to know much about religion or God himself. You are living a life of lust and sin, do not associate yourself with God, as you have in affect ignored him. You feel content because your idea of Sikhism is very lenient. You have the name 'kaur' attached to your name. Its not just a surname, it has deep meaning. Enlighten yourself it may just educate you about life and how lust can be very confusing. At the end of the day, 'love' is just a excretion of chemicals. As hes your first boyfriend/sexual partner. Your body has no control or adaption to that sort of environment.
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you trivialising her relationship? She lost her virginity to her boyfriend whom she's still with, not some one night stand she's gotten overly attached to. She's only thinking about the future, just like most girls and since it's a sensitive subject it obviously must be weighing on her more.
Reply 37
Original post by FishOuttaWater
Why are you trivialising her relationship? She lost her virginity to her boyfriend whom she's still with, not some one night stand she's gotten overly attached to. She's only thinking about the future, just like most girls and since it's a sensitive subject it obviously must be weighing on her more.

Bro, she lost her virginity to the guy and thinks she's in love. No more needs to be said. All I'm saying comes with pure intentions.

Whatever, I don't agree with telling people to do whatever they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Bro, she lost her virginity to the guy and thinks she's in love. No more needs to be said. All I'm saying comes with pure intentions.

Whatever, I don't agree with telling people to do whatever they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But don't most people intend to lose it to someone they love? I agree that the OP should think long and hard about it since she knows about her families objections before she's even told them but you never know it could work out.
Reply 39
Original post by FishOuttaWater
But don't most people intend to lose it to someone they love? I agree that the OP should think long and hard about it since she knows about her families objections before she's even told them but you never know it could work out.

That's cute, but a lot of people wanna just lose it.

I'm sorry but this is so unlikely to ever work out lol, why try for the half percent chance? I'm just being a realist, i'm very far from an idealist

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending