The Student Room Group

Uni students! Do you say 'semester' or 'term' ?

Scroll to see replies

They have different meanings in an academic sense.

Term should be used specifically in schools/universities where there are three periods.
Semester should be used specifically in schools/universities where there are two teaching periods.

If your Uni has 3 teaching periods and you call them semesters then you're not only pretentious but a bit dim too - go for trimester if you must.

We have Michaelmas, Lent and Summer which in itself seems needlessly pretentious when you could simply say 'term 1, 2 and 3'
Reply 21
At school, term
At Uni, Semester :smile:
I used to say semester while I was at Uni :tongue:
Semester, that's what my Uni calls it so I just go with that. I prefer the word over 'term' anyway...don't ask why :curious:
Reply 24
When I was previously at uni we said Teaching Block 1 and 2 as far as I can remember, because that's what the uni called them. I never used 'term' - because the teaching wasn't arranged into the three terms.

I'm about to start uni again and will be calling them semesters - partly because that's what they're called here, and partly because teaching is absolutely clearly divided - you don't even talk about being in a certain year on this course - you talk about being on a certain semester (because there is course start twice a year, so there are two 'year groups' for each academic year).
Term. I don't know anyone that uses the term semester. It sounds too American.
Reply 26
My uni calls it term and I like it that way. Semester sounds grossly American :s-smilie:
Both terms are fine as long as they are used correctly - they are not interchangeable! Their use depends on what you want to say. :smile:

Generally speaking, one term equals three months and is often accompanied with a break!

Autumn term (ends with the Winter break)
Spring term (ends with the Easter break)
Summer term (ends with the three-month summer break!)

Semesters, however, are like two big chunks of the academic year! Semester one is usually from Sept. to Jan. , and semester two from Feb. to May/ June.

As an aside, "semester" is not an American word at all! You guys are just not used to calling it like that in your country (or just don't know your LATIN! :tongue:). In many other European countries, 'semester' is the formal word used by universities! The academic year is divided by semesters instead of trimesters (a.k.a 'terms' in the UK) like it used to be for us all in high school. I'm quite shocked that you guys think it's only American!
(edited 9 years ago)
At my uni term is the bits separated by the holidays, semester is the timetable modules run on. So we have two semesters, the first ending with January exams and the second with June exams, but three terms, autumn, spring and summer.
Term.
Original post by SophieSmall
Semester just because that's the term my uni uses, if they called it term then I would probably do so also.

Semester is the term your uni uses.
hahaha :cool:
Original post by rayquaza17
Semester is the term your uni uses.
hahaha :cool:

haha good spot.
Reply 32

tinie tempah says semester... its semester.
I say semester also because that's what my uni uses :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StretfordEnd
They have different meanings in an academic sense.

Term should be used specifically in schools/universities where there are three periods.
Semester should be used specifically in schools/universities where there are two teaching periods.

If your Uni has 3 teaching periods and you call them semesters then you're not only pretentious but a bit dim too - go for trimester if you must.

We have Michaelmas, Lent and Summer which in itself seems needlessly pretentious when you could simply say 'term 1, 2 and 3'

This is correct. I discovered what semester actually met when I was looking at studying abroad!
We have Semester 1 and Semester 2 exams, so I just go with 'semester' as it's plastered on everything the uni does.

When referring to high school, I'll go back to talking about terms.
Reply 36
My uni is one of those which has both - three terms and two semesters. They overlap and confuse the hell out of everybody, including the staff.

We were supposed to be switching to a completely 'semesterised' system, to facilitate teaching modules over a single semester with exams at the end (one semester ending in January, the other in June). However there's been some sort of political internal wrangle and some departments are clinging to delivering modules over the first and second terms with exams only in the third term.

We're just waiting to see which faction wins, but it might involve another couple of years of confusion.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
We have Semester 1 and Semester 2 exams, so I just go with 'semester' as it's plastered on everything the uni does.

When referring to high school, I'll go back to talking about terms.

That Bath logo in your sig cracks me up btw
I call them "how many more weeks until we break up and have holidays"
Reply 39
At my Uni, they have 2 semesters - one running between start of year and until Xmas/Jan Exams and Semester 2 from then until end of year. They use term as the same as school/college do.

I don't really use Semster/Term when I was at Uni. But I guess Semester is what I said I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending