The Student Room Group

Second degree

Hi

I previously graduated with third class honours in Politics and International Relations. I'm 25, graduated in 2012, but i was going through a lot of different things and really became disheartened with my course.

I've really thought about it for the past year and realised that i really want to study radiography , but i wasn't sure if having a BA at a young age and applying again for a second would be frowned upon?

Also i'm currently writing up my personal statement, but i wasn't too sure if i should mention that i'm applying for my second degree and if i'd have to speak about the reasons why things didn't work out the first time ?

Any help would be really great.
Reply 1
Original post by Radio54
Hi

I previously graduated with third class honours in Politics and International Relations. I'm 25, graduated in 2012, but i was going through a lot of different things and really became disheartened with my course.

I've really thought about it for the past year and realised that i really want to study radiography , but i wasn't sure if having a BA at a young age and applying again for a second would be frowned upon?

Also i'm currently writing up my personal statement, but i wasn't too sure if i should mention that i'm applying for my second degree and if i'd have to speak about the reasons why things didn't work out the first time ?

Any help would be really great.

You will have to mention your previous degree in your educational background. You should also explain why are now changing careers in your personal statement. I know from personal experience that more competitive universities will reject you if you do not explain! They will assume all applicants will want to be radiographers but that does not mean all applicants are actually suited for the career.

Doing a second degree is not really frowned upon in healthcare as lots of people retrain (myself included), but your degree is in no way linked to radiography so you will have to explain yourself clearly without making it sound like a sob story and show that you have put a lot of thought into this. People often want to change career when they have personal contact with their professional as a patient or through working with a colleague (e.g. if you were a carer then you would see numerous healthcare professionals working with your patient firsthand).
Reply 2
Thanks for the help. I've been working and helping around in care related work the past year...so that sparked my interest into working in the healthcare profession and thereafter i became very interested in radiography.

Also i'm getting some work experience next week at an xray department.

Hopefully everything works out :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending