The Student Room Group

Increasing chances of doing Computer Science at Oxbridge

Hi, I'm year 12 at the moment and want to study computer science at Cambridge however my GCSE grades aren't outstanding. But I'm creating my own app and website and the head and founder of computing society at school yet still I feel that it wont be enough for UCAS. Can anyone give me a hand :/
What AS Levels are you doing?
What are your GCSE grades and AS subjects?
(as well as the grades/subject q's above) What kind of programming skills do you currently have?
Cambridge focus more on your UMS % than your GCSE grades (that's Oxford). Focus on getting 95%+ UMS on your AS's.
Original post by jenkinsear
(as well as the grades/subject q's above) What kind of programming skills do you currently have?

I got 3 A*s 5 A's and 2 B's in my GCSE's and I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Physics and History at AS. I am very confident in Pascal and Python however my Java skills are mediocre and I am yet to start Ruby and Objective-C
Reply 6
Original post by faisal148991
I got 3 A*s 5 A's and 2 B's in my GCSE's and I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Physics and History at AS. I am very confident in Pascal and Python however my Java skills are mediocre and I am yet to start Ruby and Objective-C

Don't spread yourself too thin, I know the most commonly used language in the Cambridge comp sci course is Java so it would be worth improving your skills there. I really wouldn't worry about your GCSE grades and would worry more about your A-Levels than programming languages. As fun as it can be it will not make up for your AS's should you not spend enough time revising and fall short.
Reply 7
For Cambridge: UMS is the first hurdle and the biggest factor, do well here and you'll get an interview. Get 93%+ for a guaranteed pooling as well. Then you've got to interview/test well on the day. Other factors are interesting but not as important probably, they didn't even ask me anything that wasn't maths at my interview. Make sure you start revising early don't make the mistake I did :frown:
Original post by TVIO
For Cambridge: UMS is the first hurdle and the biggest factor, do well here and you'll get an interview. Get 93%+ for a guaranteed pooling as well. Then you've got to interview/test well on the day. Other factors are interesting but not as important probably, they didn't even ask me anything that wasn't maths at my interview. Make sure you start revising early don't make the mistake I did :frown:

Is now a good time to be revising solidly?I've been revising over the Christmas break but not during term time :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Is now a good time to be revising solidly?I've been revising over the Christmas break but not during term time :s-smilie:

Any time is a good time to be revising :P I didn't start until March or something and I only got 92% UMS so don't do that. I've started now this year and hope to get 3-4 A*s. Who knows maybe Cambridge will give me an offer yet (<1% chance...)
Original post by TVIO
Any time is a good time to be revising :P I didn't start until March or something and I only got 92% UMS so don't do that. I've started now this year and hope to get 3-4 A*s. Who knows maybe Cambridge will give me an offer yet (<1% chance...)

Thanks :smile: and good luck with your offer, i'm sure you'll get one! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thanks :smile: and good luck with your offer, i'm sure you'll get one! :biggrin:

Thanks, but the interview went pretty poorly. Doesn't matter, just gotta focus on meeting my Imperial offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending