The Student Room Group

What's the most embarrassing thing your parents have said?

Or grandparents, because they come out with some crackers too.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by upagumtree
Or grandparents, because they come out with some crackers too.

I've had some hideous moments that I couldn't bear to say on here but when I was younger I was an avid reader and my mum used to tell all of my teachers on parent's evenings that I would read in the bath. Why such information was necessary I will never know!
Reply 2
that they don't like me
Gonna buy your mum some tampons, she's on the blob.

F U DAD!!
Original post by King Leonidas
Gonna buy your mum some tampons, she's on the blob.

F U DAD!!

classy
Well not so embarrassing but at the interview with my Geography teacher my mum said she would take me down to the rivers to illustrate how meanders work. Then the next day he asked if she was serious.
The classic birds and the bees talk. God, I can't remember ever cringing as much as then.
My dad and older brother always talk about sex aswell which is really quite awkward. My dad is almost 60 and he acts like 20.
A few years ago, possibly in year 8, my dad told my tutor that I'm so shy he doesn't know how I'm going to find a husband. Ha ha ha ha. Nice one dad.
My mother has a talent for making words to say what she means.. but badly.

*Christmas day - brother comes over from his house with his family*

Brother: " .... and then I took the dog for a walk before coming over"

Mother: "Oh that's nice. Did you see anyone else out dogging?"
Oh, the joys of Facebook:
- My dad put something on Facebook and then wrote "how about you *****? (my name) To which I replied "I think you need to learn how to spell." The numpty had spelt my name wrong. :rolleyes: :s-smilie:
- He announced that I'd bought a onesie. Or adult romper suirt as he calls them
Original post by Queen Cersei
I've had some hideous moments that I couldn't bear to say on here but when I was younger I was an avid reader and my mum used to tell all of my teachers on parent's evenings that I would read in the bath. Why such information was necessary I will never know!

Did the book not get wet?

Original post by Frostyjoe
Well not so embarrassing but at the interview with my Geography teacher my mum said she would take me down to the rivers to illustrate how meanders work. Then the next day he asked if she was serious.

Was she serious?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ditto, only mine came late on, and with a twist :erm:

What was the twist if you don't mind me asking? :tongue:

I have a much more embarrassing story involving reading, baths and several thousand pounds worth of damage...
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not telling :dry:

Oh wow, if that happened to me I don't think I could ever look my dad in the eye again :laugh:
Original post by Chlorophile
I have a much more embarrassing story involving reading, baths and several thousand pounds worth of damage...

Please expand!
Original post by Olympiad
Did the book not get wet?

Was she serious?

Only a bit damp unless I dropped it... I used to dry them off in the airing cupboard and I had a collection of very wrinkly books!
Please expand!

Basically, I was 10 or something and my mum sent me up to put the bath water on. For some reason, I decided to read a book on the bathroom floor whilst I was waiting for the bath to fill up. Something you should know about me: When I concentrate on something, everything else fades away. A while later, I heard a yell from downstairs and I realised I was sitting in well over an inch of water. I was so engrossed in the book I hadn't even noticed that the bath had overflown, despite the fact that I was sitting on the flooded floor and covered in water. The water had gone through the floor and a sizeable chunk of the living room ceiling had collapsed, leaving a massive hole. It was so big that we couldn't actually finance the repairs for years, we literally had a big hole in the ceiling. I no longer take baths.
(As a Sunday School teacher) 'No, I have never read The Bible, I just have the belief.'

'You hate God therefore God must exist.'

(As a Chinese woman whose father had two wives) 'Why do gay people want to destroy my marriage? Marriage has always been between one man and one woman.' (said someone who married a non-catholic)
Original post by Chlorophile
Basically, I was 10 or something and my mum sent me up to put the bath water on. For some reason, I decided to read a book on the bathroom floor whilst I was waiting for the bath to fill up. Something you should know about me: When I concentrate on something, everything else fades away. A while later, I heard a yell from downstairs and I realised I was sitting in well over an inch of water. I was so engrossed in the book I hadn't even noticed that the bath had overflown, despite the fact that I was sitting on the flooded floor and covered in water. The water had gone through the floor and a sizeable chunk of the living room ceiling had collapsed, leaving a massive hole. It was so big that we couldn't actually finance the repairs for years, we literally had a big hole in the ceiling. I no longer take baths.

Oh my god!!!

This is a great story, completely outstripped my bath tub troubles!

I completely love that you were so engrossed in book to fail to notice your house was falling apart... are you still such an avid reader?

Quick Reply

Latest