The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Speciez99
However i think that it is also worth pointing out because many of these things are true, if you are bright (am not suggesting for one moment this is me) then you can be sterotyped into this model of bright but socially poor. I personally believe that a conversation can be made between any two people if both want to have it. I think often with people who are bright the oposite sex are put off by the image projected by the media of intelligent people who are clueless in social situations. This in term has a knock on effect that the bright person cannot feel confident and thus is more nervous and fails more in social situations.

That's very true, like those Yakult or whatever it is adverts, with the stereotypical science geek.
Reply 61
What does the girl do though?
If found out about 'good bacteria' you wouldn't suddenly use it as an amazing comeback would you? Anyone?
Speciez99
I personally believe that a conversation can be made between any two people if both want to have it.

Paragon of virtue and intellect - i wholeheartedly agree
elpollodiablouk
That's very true, like those Yakult or whatever it is adverts, with the stereotypical science geek.
That advert really pisses me off since it has no factual basis what so ever.
Reply 64
Speciez99
However i think that it is also worth pointing out because many of these things are true, if you are bright (am not suggesting for one moment this is me) then you can be sterotyped into this model of bright but socially poor. I personally believe that a conversation can be made between any two people if both want to have it. I think often with people who are bright the oposite sex are put off by the image projected by the media of intelligent people who are clueless in social situations. This in term has a knock on effect that the bright person cannot feel confident and thus is more nervous and fails more in social situations.

but as i've pointed out, there's a big difference between a geek and an intelligent person. In more upperclass social circles it seems the more popular people (blokes at least) are the more intelligent ones, whereas it tends to be the chavs in loweclass situations. The only intelligent people in these instances are the geeks who have no social life and lock themselves up with their books (there's a lot of generalising going on here, please don't eat me)
Reply 65
LoStInIdEaFlOoD
Are intellectual women desirable to men or are too many four-syllable words a turn-off?
I very rarely see intellect and achievement presented as a desirable trait in women. To me it's usually the women who play the ''dumb blonde'' game that are popular with the men. Are men driven to become biologically excited by what a woman can offer them physically foremost? Or is being challenged mentally an aphrodisiac of sorts also? What are your thoughts?
Intelligence is the quality I value above all in a prospective girlfriend, and is very much a feature in my current one.
edders
Intelligence is the quality I value above all in a prospective girlfriend, and is very much a feature in my current one.

intelligence is important but looks matter without a doubt
grace
but as i've pointed out, there's a big difference between a geek and an intelligent person. In more upperclass social circles it seems the more popular people (blokes at least) are the more intelligent ones, whereas it tends to be the chavs in loweclass situations. The only intelligent people in these instances are the geeks who have no social life and lock themselves up with their books (there's a lot of generalising going on here, please don't eat me)
I wouldnt dream of eating you. I agree, I am mearly saying that i think media pressures can lead to people being/appear more geekish
grace

hehe - you are probably right on all counts - and we wont unless you want us to... :wink: ok that was out of character...
Reply 69
Nothing is better than an intelligent cute girl, and fortunately my university course is full of them. :tongue:
Reply 70
Does anyone here trust IQ though?
Reply 71
Speciez99
I wouldnt dream of eating you.

I would :tongue:
Reply 72
elpollodiablouk

well you're a chicken devil, of course you would! :biggrin:
Kurdt Morello
intelligence is important but looks matter without a doubt
It is a mixture, no one wants a person who is only intelligent or only beautiful. You want a mix. I dont think on this basis intelligence is the most important thing or beauty for that matter. It is finding someone you want that also wants you and its that relationship between people that I think personally is the most important.
elpollodiablouk

hehe my sentiments exactly ....
Reply 75
piggysqueak
Does anyone here trust IQ though?

IQ is by no means entirely indicative of intelligence!
Speciez99
It is a mixture, no one wants a person who is only intelligent or only beautiful. You want a mix. I dont think on this basis intelligence is the most important thing or beauty for that matter. It is finding someone you want that also wants you and its that relationship between people that I think personally is the most important.

again i cannot disagree :smile:
elpollodiablouk
I dont think for one moment you are using the word eat in the same context.
Reply 78
Speciez99

i have two words for anyone who watches Newlyweds...Jessica Simpson.
Reply 79
Speciez99
I dont think for one moment you are using the word eat in the same context.

Hehe, how could you possibly tell that?

Latest