Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling disconnected in terms of career options and professional society. watch

ReputationRep:
    In the sense that I do not really feel any desire for what the idea of a career offers me. I just want money, however at the same time I feel pressured to go into a graduate scheme even though I have hated every experience I have had of office life. It is like death by endless repetition.

I graduated in June 2013 with a 2.1 in law from a RG. I have had one temp graduate job for a month since then with many final interviews. Something is just not clicking for me. I am more than qualified for these jobs in terms of experience they ask for... but I am just getting nowhere past final interviews. I just don't feel like I am connecting to what they offer at all. My ultimate goal has always been to start my own business, and the career being a means to that end.

I guess this great realisation has become even more apparent when I got rejected by EY the other day after the final interview. I more than met their requirements and hit the competencies, but they just did not like me. I felt like I was talking to a robot in my interview, an autistic type of guy. The other guy was very normal though, I just cannot connect to that society at all. There was no rapport, I was just answering using developed technical answers but the guy looked like he did not want to be there.

In general, I feel no connection to people. I also feel no real envy of anyone apart from those with so much money that they don't need to work. Those with good careers of course they earn well, but I just feel so bored when I hear about the work they do.
    All I care about is money, the one thing that I lack in my life. I could not give a damn about the rest. But at the same time I feel so powerless at the moment, having to pretend to be someone else just to get £25k or so a year at a corporate gig that I feel no passion for whatsoever.

I know from many times I step into these offices for final interviews that I just do not belong there. I am a gym rat, I have a northern accent, I am from a state school etc. I.e. I am the total opposite of what they are. I don't pretend otherwise and that is why I most likely do not get anywhere. I am a mixed race minority kid from a suburban former council housing estate. I hang around with local
    meatheads and other minority kids/E.Europeans. I read books on philosophy in my spare time. I am complete contradiction. I.e. I do not belong in their idea of civilized society, I am very much on the fringes of what they find acceptable.

I don't know how else to articulate how I am feeling, but it is not that I am not happy in many ways, I am happy in many regards. I know the people who I belong with, I know home. But, at the same time I feel so disconnected from where my potential could have been in terms of making money. I just lack that sense of self-actualisation and feel like I am existing for the sake of existing.

And FYI: I live off my savings of which I have enough to live on but not enough to live on.

ReputationRep:
    Business? If Richard Branson and many others without a degree were capable of it, what makes you (with a degree) incapable?
    (Maybe you might want to learn a few things about starting and running a business, then identify the thing that you want to sell)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Business? If Richard Branson and many others without a degree were capable of it, what makes you (with a degree) incapable?
    (Maybe you might want to learn a few things about starting and running a business, then identify the thing that you want to sell)
    I have ideas, but I have no knowledge in terms of the actual running of a business. So, I need experience to get a good grasp on that. Hence why a job for now is essential. I am going in blind otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing constructive to add, but I feel exactly the same as you, and funnily enough have a very similar background including being mixed race, state school etc. I just don't have the northern accent.

I think the only way to get through all this graduate crap is to just see it as a means to an end. I try to imagine how having a settled job like that will help me afford my hobbies, for example.

If you're interested in starting a business, does your uni not have a start-up incubator or similar? Many unis seem to have one these days, they will be able to help with that as long as you have the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    I have ideas, but I have no knowledge in terms of the actual running of a business. So, I need experience to get a good grasp on that. Hence why a job for now is essential. I am going in blind otherwise.
    The actual knowledge of running a business is a myth. Your idea is your business, how it is run, is based on your idea. Very simple.

Do more, won't happen overnight.

I am on this path currently. Will happen, even if it means I die in the process.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.