The Student Room Group

Disability hate crime up by 213% since 2007/8

Poll

Is it the Conservatives fault disabled hate crime has increased by 213%?

Since the financial crisis disability hate crime has risen by 213%.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/551327/EXCLUSIVE-Hate-crimes-on-disabled-rise-by-213

Now there are official statistics of recorded hate crime. I welcome this kind of conviction. To me and others like myself who have been shouting from the roof tops of hate crime and oppression which disabled people have been suffering from since the recession.

Things where already tough during 2007/8 but I guess people can see that the Tories have just made things worse for disabled people. The whole striver vs scrounger narrative has caused this. A 213% increase doesn't come from just a recession. There was the dot com recession in the early 2000s and nothing like this happened under Labour.

I've been personally attacked in dozens of brutish assaults by people. Majority of them where disability hate crimes. I know what fuels them. It is class war and nothing else. If a good enough reason is given to justify hurting someone weaker; people will do it because they feel it is socially acceptable.

And why is it socially acceptable? Because of the striver vs scrounger narrative preached by the Conservative Government.

Proof that the Tories have increased disability hate crime.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/551327/EXCLUSIVE-Hate-crimes-on-disabled-rise-by-213

Scroll to see replies

Need I remind you that correlation (and a weak one at that) does not prove causation?
No.

A rise in the narcissistic society would be the real answer to your question, and I don't blame any government for that.
Reply 3
No. The Tories have not explicitly laid any negativity on the disabled.
Well seeing as being fat was recently ruled as a potential disability, does this mean every time some tubster gets their feelings hurt it's a hate crime? In which case it's just a moving of the goal posts.
However, if it is people mocking the genuinely disable then that's a disgrace, but I wouldn't blame the tories, labour have been banging the benefits scroungers drum as well, and the tabloids are probably the biggest **** stirrers around.
Furthermore, the financial crisis has been tough on everyone, meaning people that work are unfortunately less likely to be sympathetic to those that cannot due to disability
Original post by Rakas21
No. The Tories have not explicitly laid any negativity on the disabled.

Of course not. I mean the disabled have practically been a champion of disability rights these last 5 years.
Reply 6
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Of course not. I mean the disabled have practically been a champion of disability rights these last 5 years.

I thought you weren't disabled, you seem to be a champion (a rubbish one but hey) of disability rights.
Original post by Quady
I thought you weren't disabled, you seem to be a champion (a rubbish one but hey) of disability rights.

He's a day trading, software developer, student with a mild form of dyslexia.
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
He's a day trading, software developer, student with a mild form of dyslexia.

Successful day trader too...
Original post by Quady

Earns £160k a year
Reply 10
Original post by MatureStudent36
Earns £160k a year

Although illegaltobepoor has failed to come clean on their tax avoidance activities :frown:
Original post by Quady
Although illegaltobepoor has failed to come clean on their tax avoidance activities :frown:

For me it's a credibility issue.

If he makes up that much stuff about himself, I have to assume most of his posts are made up
Original post by Quady

That will be quant trader soon and I expect you to bow down and beg me to get you a job at goldman sachs :tongue:
That will be quant trader soon and I expect you to bow down and beg me to get you a job at goldman sachs :tongue:

But you're still currently a fantasist.
Reply 14
In terms of a serious answer: when you're dealing with such a small number of events, it is unsurprising that there are considerable statistical fluctuations. All could easily be explained by better reporting, more prosecutions, awareness-raising and so on.

There's a general downward trend in violent crime, not only in the UK but around the developed world. That is why I'd struggle to believe that there has been a serious growth in this sort of thing.

I've been personally attacked in dozens of brutish assaults by people. Majority of them where disability hate crimes. I know what fuels them. It is class war and nothing else.

Oh yes? Have they all been upper class landowners, spilling Veuve on their dinner jackets as they boot you in the stomach?
Reply 15

Unless they start having offices in civilisation then I doubt that.

I'd have to bow down a long way since you're a wheelie.
Original post by Quady
Unless they start having offices in civilisation then I doubt that.

I'd have to bow down a long way since you're a wheelie.

funny.
yep no1 cares about this huge rise
Reply 18
yep no1 cares about this huge rise

Nope.

The broken folk can top 'emselves, because we hates them.
Original post by Quady
Nope.

The broken folk can top 'emselves, because we hates them.

Actually I think I've given you all "disabled fatigue". Topic overload I guess. I guess everyone understands we live in a Neo-Liberal, Neo-Con hell hole and instead of doing anything about it people are dropping to sleep.

Then again January is Exam time for A level students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending