The Student Room Group

Would oxbridge/UCL/LSE accept me?

I got 7A*s at GCSE in maths, physics, chemistry, biology, history, philosophy and ethics and economics. 2A's in both english Lang and Lit and finally 1C in Spanish. My state school average was about 3A's 4B's 2C's compared to my 7A*s 2A's 1C (I took an additional GCSE economics and further maths which isn't a GCSE but I have a further maths qualification which prepares you for A level. Please reply saying honestly if you think I have a possibility of getting in with those GCSE grades (I want a degree in economics)
Original post by OhAnotherStudent
I got 7A*s at GCSE in maths, physics, chemistry, biology, history, philosophy and ethics and economics. 2A's in both english Lang and Lit and finally 1C in Spanish. My state school average was about 3A's 4B's 2C's compared to my 7A*s 2A's 1C (I took an additional GCSE economics and further maths which isn't a GCSE but I have a further maths qualification which prepares you for A level. Please reply saying honestly if you think I have a possibility of getting in with those GCSE grades (I want a degree in economics)

Your GCSEs are obviously very good, but in reality, they will form only a small part of your application. For really competitive courses- such as economics at LSE, the vast majority of applicants will have excellent GCSEs- you will also need to do well at A-level, produce an excellent personal statement, and have a good reference. At Oxford or Cambridge, you would also have to interview well.

If the average student at your school achieves 9 A*-C grades, it's very unlikely you would receive a contextual offer from any university unless there are other circumstances involved.

No-one can really comment on your chances of getting into a specific university based just on your GCSEs.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Your GCSEs are obviously very good, but in reality, they will form only a small part of your application. For really competitive courses- such as economics at LSE, the vast majority of applicants will have excellent GCSEs- you will also need to do well at A-level, produce an excellent personal statement, and have a good reference. At Oxford or Cambridge, you would also have to interview well.

If the average student at your school achieves 9 A*-C grades, it's very unlikely you would receive a contextual offer from any university unless there are other circumstances involved.

No-one can really comment on your chances of getting into a specific university based just on your GCSEs.

as stated by above no one can tell you whether you will get in. these unis are highly competitive but you have as good a chance as anyone. many unis require maths a level for economics and lse prefer further maths as well. look closely into the unis to ensure you are taking the correct a level subjects. also for these unis check whether doing step might be useful. only 1 in 5 get into Oxbridge 1 in 6 so ensure your other options are less competitve
When I applied in 2012 I didn't have any A*s at GCSE but I got an offer from UCL. I've applied again this year for a course at LSE, lets see how that goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending