The Student Room Group

Interrailing with a minor

Hi there, any help from someone with experience or a friend who has experience on this matter will be truly appreciated.

My friends and I are hoping to go interrailing this summer. There are 7 of us (a lot of people to go travelling, I know!). We are all going to be 18 by the time we go except one of us who will be 18 a month later (so she's 17)

I'm just wondering how travelling with a minor will inconvenience us?
I am aware that my friend wouldn't be able to go to a lot of hostels without an adult, but do us 18 year olds class as adults to permit her stay? And if so, are these hostels rare?
Another problem is, as we are young after all, we will also want to experience the night life of most cities we intend to go to (including Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague etc.). Will it be an issue getting into places if my friend is not 17? I know it is very strict in the UK, especially in London clubs, however I am unaware of how tight the rules are throughout the rest of Europe, especially heading more towards the east.

Please help and if there are any other problems you think we could experience with this, I'd appreciate if you could highlight this to me (alongside any solutions you may have)
Hard to say, I recommend thoroughly planning your route and what hostels you might stay at so you can email them in advance and ask if it is okay for you to also have a minor accompanying. As for night life, can't help you. Might be best to try to get answers from people from each country/area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending