The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im pretty sure you can but i could be wrong. I think you need a minimum of 12 for your HL subjects, and a 24 overall. If thats the case its even possible to get 2 2's and still recieve the diploma, but im not entirely sure so maybe someone else can confirm.
Reply 2
You cannot get a 1 or more than one 2 in a HL and pass.

The IB
Failing conditions for the IB....
For higher level (HL) subjects: a grade of 1; or more than one grade of 2.
and thats quoting The IB, the monder in the sky :p:
Reply 4
andy_cole2
and thats quoting The IB, the monder in the sky :p:

IB = GOD
Simple As.. :cool:

:king1:
Reply 5
yea as long as u get over 12 for ur HL subjects, and a score of over 24, theres no reasn y u shudnt get ur diploma

of course if u hvnt done ur EE, TOK or CAS, u wnt be given ur diploma either
yeah but I dont think you can get 2's in all your SL and stil get your diploma. but 1 grade 2 at SL should be all right.
Read the requirements.

I think u cannot get ANY 1s for your SLs and ANY 2 for yours HLs, on top of getting a certain number of points for HLs and stuff.
Reply 8
rawkingpunkster
Read the requirements.

I think u cannot get ANY 1s for your SLs and ANY 2 for yours HLs, on top of getting a certain number of points for HLs and stuff.

Wrong :smile:

Faliing conditions for the IB:

the IB AKA God

For higher level (HL) subjects: a grade of 1; or more than one grade of 2.

For Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge: a grade of E on both components.

For overall results: more than three grades of 3; or more than one grade of 3 if there is a grade of 2 at the standard level.
yeah isnt there a whole page in teh Vade Mecum devoted to failing condition?
yes but the thing is most UK unis won't specify that you have to pass the IB, they always forget this/ don't understand it taht even with 45 points you could be a lazy ars who never did sport :p: and has no action hours
Reply 11
Thank you people!!!

But what about compensating grades? For example I get a 2 in Bio standard level and a 6 in Eco higher level. Can I (or do I have to) use the 6 in eco to arrive at a 4 in Bio(Eco 6-2=4 -> Bio 2+2=4) and therefore pass? Or is compensating not necessary at all? Crap... I think I am talking nonsense... would someone inform me how that works?

Thanks a lot
Reply 12
You cant compensate.. its in the rules that if you get a 2 in your SL you can't get more than one 3 at all in any other subject.

likewise you still need 24 points overall but cant have any more than two 2's at higher level or a grade 1.

Compensating with a 7 in something else is irrelevant, if you get a failing condition, in any way, you fail.
instaed of doing these randomjuggling tricks with grades why don't you save yourself the time and reallocate it to revise economics and biology :wink:
Reply 14
Actually bio (7) and eco (6) are my strongest subjects :cool:. It's just that I am very curious about extreme cases and find the way the problem is solved very intersting and smart.

Thank you a lot :tsr2:
lol i got told :p: still seemed weird
Reply 16
But if you fail a course doesn't it mean you can't get the diploma?
Isn't a 4 a pass... and a 3, 2 or 1 a fail??
Reply 17
... Apparantly not :p:

Otherwise it would void those Rules stated in the Vade Mecum
No...I dont think there's 'failing grades' strictly speaking. My friend got a 2 in Bio and still ended up with 32 points nad got her diploma (bio at SL obviously).

but yeah the common misconception is that if you get anything under a 4 you fail. but you don't. don't know if that's actually a good thing or not. I suppose it's good...you still have a chance at the diploma even if you suck at something bugt I guess I doesn't look particularly good on the diploma.
HMSChocolate
yeah but I dont think you can get 2's in all your SL and stil get your diploma. but 1 grade 2 at SL should be all right.

ok...just saw that someone neg repped me for this post. *raises eyebrow* I'm confused. would someone explain why anyone might neg rep this post?
though whoever neg repped me didn't have enough postcounts and/or rep anyway so the neg rep didn't count for anything but still...

Latest

Trending

Trending