The Student Room Group

Deadly Comparisons - House mates

Hey,

I've been on here before, I know haha, oops, I just wanted some advice/reassurance really, basically I reallyy want to be an early years primary school teacher when I graduate but I've found out today my house mate does too (we don't really talk), now I keep comparing myself to her and thinking she'd be so much better at it than me! She's so bubbly and chatty and lovely whereas I'm more introverted and don't make much conversation! She knows I want to be a teacher too and I wonder whether she thinks I might not be as good as her (although she is really nice!)

Added to this, she has a job in a kids club part time, and I have just gone to apply for one too! I would feel super awkward telling her about it if I got it as it would just be like comparison-central and she might feel I copied the idea!!

Obviously I'm still aiming to be a primary teacher but does anyone have any advice on how to stop the deadly comparisons especially as this girl is actually a lovely person. And do you reckon she'd be bothered about the job thing or am I being a bit silly here?
Thank you!
Hey there, just stumbled across this - I do music and have no interest in teaching per-se, but I can understand the worry of comparing yourself to others. There have been many times when I've looked at other musicians and thought "Wow their songwriting is better than mine" or "That person is a much better instrumentalist than me", so I do know how difficult it can be.

But the crux is this: You're at university studying something you love, something you feel passionate about - and I'm really happy for you. Just because you're an introvert it doesn't mean that you're any worse at what you do than someone who is more expressive. If we all lived our lives comparing ourselves to other people, I don't think we'd get much done! Your future career is about YOU and the work you put in - I'm sure that you and this girl can learn from each other, there doesn't need to be rivalry when you both love the same thing.

If this girl is as lovely as you say she is, she would never think anything bad about you. You don't think anything bad about her, so why would she? Regarding the job, if she doesn't support you then maybe she isn't as lovely as you think she is. You're both working towards the same goal and trying to advance your careers - that's the common ground you should be thinking about. :smile:

Jack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending