The Student Room Group

How much for a new clutch? Parts+labour

I think the clutch on my 55 plate Nissan Micra is coming to the end of it's life. And I'm seeing such a broad range of figures when looking into cost of parts and labour online, that I've no idea what to expect. Is there anyone on here who is knowledgable in this kind of thing, and can give me a rough idea?

Also, I do not want to be told just to get rid of my car.
Reply 1
It can vary. You'll probably want to get in touch with a few garages for the best quote but you may be looking at £250-£300 (rough guesstimate) for parts and labour.

Original post by Twinpeaks

I know you don't want people telling you this but sometimes it's justified. If you're car isn't worth that much and it's old, there may be little point in spending a few hundred quid on it.
Reply 2
Original post by UKTomm
It can vary. You'll probably want to get in touch with a few garages for the best quote but you may be looking at £250-£300 (rough guesstimate) for parts and labour.

I know you don't want people telling you this but sometimes it's justified. If you're car isn't worth that much and it's old, there may be little point in spending a few hundred quid on it.

Yeah but what people forget on here is that a, people have a budget, and b, the price of cars varies considerably by area. In my area, older first buyer cars which are cheap on insurance are considerably more expensive than in other areas. I was looking more or less daily for about 4 months when learning to drive, with a budget of about £2000. This car was actually in better condition, a little newer and had a considerably lower mileage than lots of other cars in my price range. It's been well looked after but I think an older person had it that must've ridden the clutch a lot which I've been told older people tend to do. So I really fail to see how I'd benefit from selling it! I'd just end up with another similar car which could have other problems. :frown:

Thank you for the reply though. If I pay about £250 I'd be alright with that!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I think the clutch on my 55 plate Nissan Micra is coming to the end of it's life. And I'm seeing such a broad range of figures when looking into cost of parts and labour online, that I've no idea what to expect. Is there anyone on here who is knowledgable in this kind of thing, and can give me a rough idea?

If you live in North West or if you are willing to travel though not wise if your clutch is possibly faulty, I can fix it for you.

In fact I replaced a whole engine block on your exact make and model but a 2007 model for my sister, her dealership wanted £1100 all in, but that was for the engine not clutch. I did the job in 2 days and charged her £280.

I'll do your clutch for around £150, £220 if it needs a flywheel.

source: 19 years old and work at a back street garage

Looking online gives you a very rough idea.

Look up your local garages, check their reviews. Call them up and ask for a quote and note them all done. Do your checks properly, sometimes the cheapest quote may mean a bodged job or a good job, research is key.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending