The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accommodation??

Hiya Reading is my firm choice and now I'm thinking about accommodation. The cos of rent seems quite expensive but then again I'm comparing it to Liverpool uni who's most expensive accommodation is the same price as Reading's cheapest. I'm going to go for a self-catered en-suite room (not premium) such as St George's halls. What are you going for and what were your thoughts on the range of accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
St George's is a fun hall, just off campus and if you have lectures in some places could take you 25 minutes to walk there. I was worried about what hall and obsessed over where to go but it really doesn't matter as you meet people from loads of different halls
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Et96
St George's is a fun hall, just off campus and if you have lectures in some places could take you 25 minutes to walk there. I was worried about what hall and obsessed over where to go but it really doesn't matter as you meet people from loads of different halls

Ooh I'm really excited now is there a particular building in that off campus complex that is best as I've only seen st George's. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
Hiya Reading is my firm choice and now I'm thinking about accommodation. The cos of rent seems quite expensive but then again I'm comparing it to Liverpool uni who's most expensive accommodation is the same price as Reading's cheapest. I'm going to go for a self-catered en-suite room (not premium) such as St George's halls. What are you going for and what were your thoughts on the range of accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

At the University of Reading there are lots of choices that you can look into that are self-catered and en-suites including Benyon (off campus), Sherfield, St George's (off campus) and Greenow and McCombie. Whilst a few of these are off campus it makes very little difference as to the time it takes you to get to your lectures!
I'm currently in my first year at the University and although I am in Bridges Hall I've visited many of the other halls and you won't be disappointed in any of the accommodation - I've had a really great time in mine! Your choice of halls will make very little difference to the people that you know as you will easily get to know those around you, especially as the JCR puts on lots of social activities and you will also meet lots of other people from all the other Halls though your course and societies - so you will be happy wherever you end up!

I know that the cost of the accommodation can seem quite high however it is defiantly worth it as you get everything you need in your rooms and the kitchens, its well looked after, cleaners help out and you can take advantage of Halls Hotline who can help sort out almost anything!

I hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions or have a look at the accommodation on our website! (http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/acc-halls-list.aspx)

Amelia, first year studying History and Archaeology :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hi!

At the University of Reading there are lots of choices that you can look into that are self-catered and en-suites including Benyon (off campus), Sherfield, St George's (off campus) and Greenow and McCombie. Whilst a few of these are off campus it makes very little difference as to the time it takes you to get to your lectures!
I'm currently in my first year at the University and although I am in Bridges Hall I've visited many of the other halls and you won't be disappointed in any of the accommodation - I've had a really great time in mine! Your choice of halls will make very little difference to the people that you know as you will easily get to know those around you, especially as the JCR puts on lots of social activities and you will also meet lots of other people from all the other Halls though your course and societies - so you will be happy wherever you end up!

I know that the cost of the accommodation can seem quite high however it is defiantly worth it as you get everything you need in your rooms and the kitchens, its well looked after, cleaners help out and you can take advantage of Halls Hotline who can help sort out almost anything!

I hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions or have a look at the accommodation on our website! (http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/acc-halls-list.aspx)

Amelia, first year studying History and Archaeology :smile:

Thanks i have a few questions
1) will we know our flatmates before we move in?
2) Do you need to pay a deposit when applying for halls? If so how much is it?
3) Are all the off campus ones similar? (like the same as St George's as I've only visited that)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks i have a few questions
1) will we know our flatmates before we move in?
2) Do you need to pay a deposit when applying for halls? If so how much is it?
3) Are all the off campus ones similar? (like the same as St George's as I've only visited that)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I currently live in Mackinder halls, so i'll try answer this for you.

1) No, but you can try link up with flatmates on the halls Facebook page before you start.
2) I paid £250, which we get back when we graduate from the university apparently and I've heard you don't get back £50 of it if you don't sign up to the JCR during freshers ( the people in charge of social events)
3) I'm not sure about St. Georges, has that got ensuites? I know that some off campus halls have ensuites are just as good/expensive as the ensuite rooms on campus

Hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by zedaa
I currently live in Mackinder halls, so i'll try answer this for you.

1) No, but you can try link up with flatmates on the halls Facebook page before you start.
2) I paid £250, which we get back when we graduate from the university apparently and I've heard you don't get back £50 of it if you don't sign up to the JCR during freshers ( the people in charge of social events)
3) I'm not sure about St. Georges, has that got ensuites? I know that some off campus halls have ensuites are just as good/expensive as the ensuite rooms on campus

Hope this helps

Thanks I just wanted to check because I've only visited St George's out of the off campus ones and yes it does have ensuites.
1)When do you find out what halls you've been put in?
2)And also (sorry for all the questions) the application for halls opens on a Thursday at 12 of which I'll be in school... In a lesson what am I to do, take the day off? Wait till lunch?
3)How long will it take and what details will I need I could bring it to school with me.
Reply 7
Thanks I just wanted to check because I've only visited St George's out of the off campus ones and yes it does have ensuites.
2)And also (sorry for all the questions) the application for halls opens on a Thursday at 12 of which I'll be in school... In a lesson what am I to do, take the day off? Wait till lunch?
3)How long will it take and what details will I need I could bring it to school with me.

1)Uh, Reading was my insurance choice, so I found out quite late.. but I reckon you'll find out in like July maybe early August.
2) No problem :smile:, I doubt the application process is going to be that intense esp. if its your firm. Where do you plan to go? I think there is a substantial demand for the ensuite rooms like Stenton and Bridges Halls.. It depends on your accommodation choices, but I doubt it will make a difference if you wait till lunch so don't worry
3) Uh, I remember sending my application for accommodation at work on my phone lol.. I didn't really need anything except maybe student number which should be emailed to you by now... I don't really remember needing alot of info - I just had to choose my choices and enter info like my name and other stuff.. overall it took like 15 mins max
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by zedaa
1)Uh, Reading was my insurance choice, so I found out quite late.. but I reckon you'll find out in like July maybe early August.
2) No problem :smile:, I doubt the application process is going to be that intense esp. if its your firm. Where do you plan to go? I think there is a substantial demand for the ensuite rooms like Stenton and Bridges Halls.. It depends on your accommodation choices, but I doubt it will make a difference if you wait till lunch so don't worry
3) Uh, I remember sending my application for accommodation at work on my phone lol.. I didn't really need anything except maybe student number which should be emailed to you by now... I don't really remember needing alot of info - I just had to choose my choices and enter info like my name and other stuff.. overall it took like 15 mins max

Cool that is really helpful thank you! I'm really excited now!

Hi,

I'll try not to repeat anything already said however I do know that you will find out your hall in mid August and then most people discover their housemates though the fresher's Facebook page soon after. Once you have your offer in August there is a limited amount of time in which you have to accept the offer and pay the £250 deposit to secure it!
Don't worry about applying exactly at 12 as there will be many people applying throughout the day and even later throughout the week! If you do however apply at school then you will need to know your login details (student number &password), top 5 choices of accommodation, (you do need all 5!) any medical issues, and general details about yourself - it doesn't take long at all as long as you know which 5 accommodations you will choose and whether you would like a 40 week contract or a 51 week contract.

I hope some of this was useful!
Amelia :smile:

Hello I've just out reading as my firm but haven't received any info about accomodation? When did they let you know when the applications open? And also what is the date? Thanks
Hey there! I'm looking to apply for Greenow/McCombie halls and I'd just like to quickly know:

Are you allowed to put up posters on the walls of your room with white tack?

I'm a little worried that the communal area doesn't look too cosy and the kitchens for Greenow/McCombie aren't featured anywhere. Maybe they're a downside, I can't be sure.
Reply 12
Original post by Anna1437

Hello I've just out reading as my firm but haven't received any info about accomodation? When did they let you know when the applications open? And also what is the date? Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get any info tbh I was just curious so I checked the site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Pokegirl3000

I'm a little worried that the communal area doesn't look too cosy and the kitchens for Greenow/McCombie aren't featured anywhere. Maybe they're a downside, I can't be sure.

Is it similar to st George's hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna1437

I had put Reading through as my firm choice about 4 weeks ago and then got an email through from the uni a couple of weeks later saying about accommodation applications with the date and my student no etc
I haven't yet set Reading as my firm choice but i'm 80% sure I will go there and am planning to make my full mind up during the week. However i'm still waiting on my student finance and need to see how much I get before I can know for definite which halls are within my price range. I am worried that if I apply in two weeks time or later for accommodation it will be too late and I won't get the one I was hoping for (especially as i would like an en-suite).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending