The Student Room Group

Good grad school and job opportunities after open university?

Hi everyone, I'm currently in my second year studying for a BA in Business Studies and International Development. I have an average of about 65% in all my work and I was just wondering whether my average would be good enough for me to get into grad school? I'm really interested in studying corporate finance?

Thank you so much for your help/advice!
Reply 1
"Grad school" isn't really a thing in the UK. You'll be a postgrad in a uni, usually in the same buildings and facilities as undergrads.

A 2:1 (60%+) is normally the base entry requirement for a Masters, but finance-based courses are particularly competitive. Corporate finance especially so, as these attract candidates being sponsored by employers. The higher you can push that result, the better. Two excellent academic references would also be helpful, along with some idea of what your own research interests might be.
If you're studying at the open university there's a different grading scale. This means you need at least a 70 for a 2.1 and an 85 or better for a 1st.
Reply 3
Original post by xenophile
If you're studying at the open university there's a different grading scale. This means you need at least a 70 for a 2.1 and an 85 or better for a 1st.

Yes I knew that was why I was wondering about the grading scale. Why is it different? The workload does not feel less than a normal uni and they are really strict graders.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
"Grad school" isn't really a thing in the UK. You'll be a postgrad in a uni, usually in the same buildings and facilities as undergrads.

A 2:1 (60%+) is normally the base entry requirement for a Masters, but finance-based courses are particularly competitive. Corporate finance especially so, as these attract candidates being sponsored by employers. The higher you can push that result, the better. Two excellent academic references would also be helpful, along with some idea of what your own research interests might be.

Thanks! I just have really strict markers at the moment. Really struggling to bring up the average
I'm not sure why the OU uses a different marking scale. In theory this shouldn't change your chance of earning a particular degree classification though, just the numerical mark. Keep at it and good luck!
Reply 6
There are a fair few places who accept 2:2 applicants. I don't think having studied at the OU will have a detrimental impact on your app :smile: It may even work in your favour.
Reply 7
My mum studied at the OU, got a 2:1 and was offered a place for a masters at Warwick. Assuming your grades are good enough, being an OU grad won't hold you back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending