The Student Room Group

how to tell parents i got a U grade?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
FSMQ seems to be handy as most people do not to have it, would be good for uni to make you stand out a little. Also, if you have any intention on A-level maths, then this course will sort you for C1 and a lot of C2.
While the FSMQ does have benefits for college, I remember that I was put onto the course at my secondary school and taken out of some GCSE maths lessons for it. I found it very challenging, and I was definitely not good at it. A few people got low marks in the mock, but I definitely got the lowest - it was either an E or a U. I spoke with my teacher about it and we decided that the best thing to do was to keep my GCSE grades high. At the end of the day, no matter how useful the FSMQ is in terms of making you look good, your GCSE is what matters.

Unless your parents are pressuring you in any way to keep up with it, then I would just explain your decision to them and why you feel it would be better to focus on your GCSE instead. They may not be pleased about it initially, but over time they should come to see your point of view. Eventually they should realise that getting a high GCSE should be a priority over the extra qualification you could gain here.
Reply 22
thanks for the posts mum phoned but it is too late to pull out and teacher wants me to go to this a level class school and get my head down...i know i cant do it so i am preparing myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
tell the that Ure a ****.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

My excuse to everything: "but the whole class failed..."

works like a charm.
Original post by studentLynch
i wouldn't tell my parents .... they have there own **** to do anyway i suggest you grow up , and fast doing a levels and being worried what your parents think \? i could never live like that in fact id move out

Some parents care what their child got in mocks and if they got a u in mocks they hate it!
Say 'mum, dad, I got' and point at them. They should get it then.
Sit them down with a nice cuppa and bourbon cream and tell them you love them dearly then just come out with it
Do you want to do maths for actual a-levels?

I usually blast my parents with good results slip in the low ones and then blast them again with the high ones

Say it in you got a U in FSMQ, not that you got 4 Us??
Original post by TheGreatImposter
My excuse to everything: "but the whole class failed..."

works like a charm.

Or say I got higher than the person they always compare me to haha
just tell em that you were never cut out for academic life but your not going to be a burden on them and your going to achieve something with your life, good parents will say WTF! whose bothered!

We are only here on a visit don't get hung up on exam results in the overall scheme of things they mean F---All, I haven't ebven got an o level but having a great life!

KRO
Further maths isn't that hard, especially if your getting A* in normal maths...
Original post by Mad Vlad
"Hello Parents, I need to make you aware that I have been awarded 4 U grades because of this meaningless FSMQ bull**** which is having a clear impact on my ability to perform in the qualification that actually matters to my academic career."

This happened to me with statistics gcse. It wasted so much time that could have been spent on maths I actually needed and I didn't get the grade I needed :frown:
Reply 34
Gay
Original post by DanyaI
Also, if you have any intention on A-level maths, then this course will sort you for C1 and a lot of C2.

So would having half a brain...
FSMQ is not A level Further Maths - just tell them you don't want to do it.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by-type/fsmq/
Original post by hasii
Tell them that U stands for 'unbelievably outstanding'

I got a U for U did really good well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ha27
i was entered into this fsmq unwillingly and i got 4 u's in 4 tests i want to pull out to focus on getting a* in actual gcse maths how do i tell my parents who believe the school does things for a reason??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which FSMQ level did you do, Intermediate or Advanced?
Reply 39
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Which FSMQ level did you do, Intermediate or Advanced?

i think i am doing intermediate in june

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest