The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield - Which accommodation?

So for sheffield city accommodation is pretty close to just about everything, whereas endcliffe and ranmoor are fairly far, maybe about 20 mins away.

What do people tend to go for as I saw that there aren't really that many undergrad places available for the city accommodation but loads for the others, so I'm wondering if there's more of a student vibe at ranmoor and endcliffe accommodation?
Original post by MrKlaus
So for sheffield city accommodation is pretty close to just about everything, whereas endcliffe and ranmoor are fairly far, maybe about 20 mins away.

What do people tend to go for as I saw that there aren't really that many undergrad places available for the city accommodation but loads for the others, so I'm wondering if there's more of a student vibe at ranmoor and endcliffe accommodation?

Hi,

All our accommodation is within easy walking distance of the main campus (and there's a very regular bus to Endcliffe and Ranmoor for when the weather's rubbish!) so most of our students don't find the distance between their accommodation and the campus an issue. The advantage of the City accommodation is that it is, as the name suggests, closer to the city centre, so you might want to consider if that's a priority for you. The majority of students do say there is more of a community feel in Endcliffe and Ranmoor, as they have the social hubs of the Edge and the Ridge respectively, and also because they're so much bigger. Ranmoor is considered slightly quieter than Endcliffe (it's smaller) so again it depends on your personal preference as to which one you'd favour.

Hope that helps you out a little bit!

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
does any shef acommodation have a common room for catered?- i went up to stay with a friend and he had no common room and it was really annoying- had to cram into each others rooms for pres.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

All our accommodation is within easy walking distance of the main campus (and there's a very regular bus to Endcliffe and Ranmoor for when the weather's rubbish!) so most of our students don't find the distance between their accommodation and the campus an issue. The advantage of the City accommodation is that it is, as the name suggests, closer to the city centre, so you might want to consider if that's a priority for you. The majority of students do say there is more of a community feel in Endcliffe and Ranmoor, as they have the social hubs of the Edge and the Ridge respectively, and also because they're so much bigger. Ranmoor is considered slightly quieter than Endcliffe (it's smaller) so again it depends on your personal preference as to which one you'd favour.

Hope that helps you out a little bit!

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.

is accomodation allocated on a first come first served basis?
Original post by hdindak
is accomodation allocated on a first come first served basis?

Hi,

No, it isn't. If Sheffield is your first choice University and you meet the conditions of your offer then you are guaranteed University accommodation. You're asked for several preferences when you apply and the Accommodation Team will try and match you based on these as best they can.

Kind regards,

Georgie
Reply 5
Hi,

No, it isn't. If Sheffield is your first choice University and you meet the conditions of your offer then you are guaranteed University accommodation. You're asked for several preferences when you apply and the Accommodation Team will try and match you based on these as best they can.

Kind regards,

Georgie

ok thankyou!
also i was wondering about catered accomodation- does any catered acom have a communal area,common room?- not a very important issue i know but am curious
Original post by hdindak
ok thankyou!
also i was wondering about catered accomodation- does any catered acom have a communal area,common room?- not a very important issue i know but am curious

Hi,

Yes, I think the majority of catered accommodation has a communal area where you can hang out - Stevenson Hall definitely does, and there are lots of events held there by the Residence Life team too. You'll also have a little kitchenette where you can make snacks and things which you'll share with other people.

Kind regards,

Georgie
Generally, the city is mostly international students, ranmoor is the quieter village slightly farther away and Endcliffe is the biggest and usually most popular. This is just in general and there are plenty rowdy people in ranmoor and non international students in opal
Reply 8
Hi,

Kind regards,

Georgie

if sheffield is your insurance are you still guaranteed accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending