The Student Room Group

recovery time for wisdom teeth extraction?

I have my operation to remove 3 wisdom teeth(all impacted) on monday. How long do you think the recovery time will be? Do I really need a week off work?
I had 4 taken out and was out for about 2 weeks. Although I did get dry socket in 3 of them. It was agony.
Reply 2
Oh sheeeeeeeeet.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh sheeeeeeeeet.

It was the most painful thing that's ever happened to me :tongue:

I basically lay in bed counting down the seconds until I could have another painkiller.

Heh, I'm sorry about teasing you :biggrin: You might be fine, like I said, I was unlucky with the 3 dry sockets. I wouldn't book anything for at least a week certainly if I was you. :smile:
I went strait back to work after having my wisdom tooth out due to it causing me intense pain. I only had 1 removed tho. Couldnt have done this with a route canal.
It varies a lot, depending on your age, sex, health, oral hygiene, and the difficulty of the extractions. You'll definitely be sore and perhaps a bit swollen for a few days after the surgery, but if you keep everything clean and pay attention to the post-operative instructions you should be fine. If you're a smoker, give it up for at least 3-4 days afterwards - smoking wreaks havoc with your ability to heal properly and will irritate the sockets.

Full healing will take weeks-months, but you should start to feel better after a few days. If the dentist has recommended a week off work, take a week off work.

Quick Reply

Latest