The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Desmond Tutu Scholarship 2015

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to know who's applied for the Desmond Tutu scholarship this year! Have you sent everything off? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Just sent it off! I enjoyed writing he essay and learning more about King's; even if I don't receive the scholarship, I feel like I am far more prepared for studying there.
How do you feel yours went?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Kantismyfave
Just sent it off! I enjoyed writing he essay and learning more about King's; even if I don't receive the scholarship, I feel like I am far more prepared for studying there.
How do you feel yours went?

I totally get what you mean! Only 40 people get it, which means it's super competitive, but I'm glad I gave it a shot too.
I liked writing the essay as well. What did you write about? And what did you mention in your CV?
Original post by tellmeimmageek
I totally get what you mean! Only 40 people get it, which means it's super competitive, but I'm glad I gave it a shot too.
I liked writing the essay as well. What did you write about? And what did you mention in your CV?

I wrote about how my degree of choice in particular will aid in developing my service within society :smile: I also mentioned some of the things I am looking forward to next year- like the diplomacy society, and said how it will also help me serve society more effectively.
I wrote about any community work that I have completed and about the Russian Speaking Community of my local area (I am a part of it and volunteer :smile: ).
What did you write about? (sorry for replying so late!!)
I wrote about how my degree of choice in particular will aid in developing my service within society :smile: I also mentioned some of the things I am looking forward to next year- like the diplomacy society, and said how it will also help me serve society more effectively.
I wrote about any community work that I have completed and about the Russian Speaking Community of my local area (I am a part of it and volunteer :smile: ).
What did you write about? (sorry for replying so late!!)

Wow! It seems like you've done a lot! What course are you applying for?
I think I pretty much just winged it...in the essay I just spoke about how I would like to use my degree as an example to kids from state schools in deprived areas like mine, and encourage state school students to take up more oppportunities, and reduce inequality in the education system. I think I mentioned a bit about further research and joining societies and networking with people, it was so bad!
Hey! I applied for this, I'm studying Religion, Philosophy and Ethics hopefully so I wrote about stuff like the under-representation of women in theology/philosophy, how my degree would be useful in modern day society, and why King's/London in particular would help me to serve society. I didn't really tailor my CV to it but I have a lot of volunteering on there so I'm hoping its okay. Good luck guys!
Reply 6
Is it still possible to apply for the Desmond Tutu scholarship? They haven't updated the page to 2015 students so I've been just waiting :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by MashiePotatoes
Is it still possible to apply for the Desmond Tutu scholarship? They haven't updated the page to 2015 students so I've been just waiting :frown:

The page for the scholarship has actually been updated for quite a while, it was a bit hard to find but it was updated, you can find it here. Unfortunately the deadline was the 1st April on 5pm according to the website.

------------------------------------------------------------

Talked about knowledge and how my department was different to any other conventional uni department and how that would benefit me, after that I spoke about how I would go on to make a difference merely by being an informed member of society. Talked a bit about what I would do after I graduated but I didn't specify because I don't know what I want to do. On my CV I included my family's charitable activities, being club president for my school's charitable society, donating hospital equipment to a local hospital, an aid trip to Romania I made along with some friends, creating a sustainable micro-financing for my school, being a student buddy, and a couple of awards I won. Didn't realise I had been so busy in the last couple of years :biggrin:
Wow! It seems like you've done a lot! What course are you applying for?
I think I pretty much just winged it...in the essay I just spoke about how I would like to use my degree as an example to kids from state schools in deprived areas like mine, and encourage state school students to take up more oppportunities, and reduce inequality in the education system. I think I mentioned a bit about further research and joining societies and networking with people, it was so bad!

It doesn't feel like I have really :smile: European Politics! I am very excited about it haha
that sounds like a good approach, and something that I didn't think of writing in my essay at all! It sounds like it was very good, and exactly what they were looking for!
Did you say what you were applying for? sorry!
It doesn't feel like I have really :smile: European Politics! I am very excited about it haha
that sounds like a good approach, and something that I didn't think of writing in my essay at all! It sounds like it was very good, and exactly what they were looking for!
Did you say what you were applying for? sorry!

European Politics sounds so cool! Good luck with that, I hope it all goes well! I've actually applied to study English lit, so lets see how they take that! :smile:
Anyone heard back yet?
Original post by sunshinebeem
Anyone heard back yet?

YNah, it was a long shot for me anyways. Totally winged the essay and CV! You?

Ahhh same. And nope I haven't :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by sunshinebeem
Ahhh same. And nope I haven't :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think anyone has heard back yet to be fair, it says on their website:

Successful applicants will be notified if they are successful by 30 April 2015. Only successful applicants will be contacted.

Which in King's speak means we'll message everyone on 29th April at 23:59
(edited 9 years ago)
Also still waiting.......
Nope 😁
I've applied too and not heard anything back, so i'm assuming I haven't got it!
Apparently a guy emailed and they said they are sorry for the delay but its gonna be late and they will let us know by May 11th! (theres a facebook group where its being discussed) https://www.facebook.com/groups/431096170387318/455251204638481/?notif_t=group_comment_reply
Anyone heard back?
Has anyone heard?

Quick Reply

Latest