The Student Room Group

In my Semester 1 exams, I averaged on 65.6%. Can I get a distinction?

The highest year average was 68.5.

I got 59% for an exam and that's worrying me, although a larger percentage failed. My course tutor said that the marks go up in second semester, so there is a good chance mine would. But I am not sure.

What can I do?

Can anyone who has done a master's offer me any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Kasa
The highest year average was 68.5.

I got 59% for an exam and that's worrying me, although a larger percentage failed. My course tutor said that the marks go up in second semester, so there is a good chance mine would. But I am not sure.

What can I do?

Can anyone who has done a master's offer me any advice?

Well it depends what your exam weighting is. If it's 40% in sem 1 and 60% in sem 2, then you'll need to get something like 73% in semester 2 to get an average of 70% for the year.
Reply 2
Original post by k3ro
Well it depends what your exam weighting is. If it's 40% in sem 1 and 60% in sem 2, then you'll need to get something like 73% in semester 2 to get an average of 70% for the year.

40% Semester 1
40% Semester 2
20% Semester 3 -- Disseration
Reply 3
Original post by Kasa
40% Semester 1
40% Semester 2
20% Semester 3 -- Disseration

Well then you need to get an average of 73% across sem2 and sem3 to get 70% overall.
Reply 4
Original post by k3ro
Well then you need to get an average of 73% across sem2 and sem3 to get 70% overall.

And on a pg level, how difficult would you say that is/?
Reply 5
Original post by Kasa
And on a pg level, how difficult would you say that is/?

I'd say it's doable. It mostly depends on your course and how much time/effort you're able to put into it. If you're worried that you'll fall short on the exam, aim for 60-65% and then try to pick up the slack on your dissertation. If you're struggling, it's a good idea to talk to your supervisor so you can see how you might improve in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending