The Student Room Group

2.1 for final year

Hi

I have achieved a 2.2 in the last two years of university studying mechanical engineering. I want to achieve a 2.1 overall. Is it possible?
First year - 55%. Second year - 52%. I need a minimum of 64% and I'm currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
I look forward to hearing responses.
Original post by NeverGivingUp
Hi

I have achieved a 2.2 in the last two years of university studying mechanical engineering. I want to achieve a 2.1 overall. Is it possible?
First year - 55%. Second year - 52%. I need a minimum of 64% and I'm currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

You haven't mentioned which university you're at, or how it weights the results from each year to arrive at your final degree classification. However, the fact that you say, "I need a minimum of 64%" suggests that you've done this calculation already and that you've worked out the weightings (perhaps they're 10%, 25% and 65%, for example).

So it seems you're really saying that you're in your final year and are "currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation" and you're trying to work out if you can increase that 53% to 64% based on the modules from Semester 2 and the remainder of your dissertation. Is that really the question you're asking?

Mathematically, it's almost certainly possible. However, given that've you've been very consistent thus far (55%, 52% and 53%) it doesn't seem terribly likely. All you can do is put a monumental effort in from hereon and hope that things go your way. Good luck. :crossedf:
Original post by DataVenia
You haven't mentioned which university you're at, or how it weights the results from each year to arrive at your final degree classification. However, the fact that you say, "I need a minimum of 64%" suggests that you've done this calculation already and that you've worked out the weightings (perhaps they're 10%, 25% and 65%, for example).

So it seems you're really saying that you're in your final year and are "currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation" and you're trying to work out if you can increase that 53% to 64% based on the modules from Semester 2 and the remainder of your dissertation. Is that really the question you're asking?

Mathematically, it's almost certainly possible. However, given that've you've been very consistent thus far (55%, 52% and 53%) it doesn't seem terribly likely. All you can do is put a monumental effort in from hereon and hope that things go your way. Good luck. :crossedf:

2nd year - 1/3. 3rd year - 2/3.
2nd year - 1/3. 3rd year - 2/3.

Yup. Those weightings work too. Do you have a plan to get your current 53% for this year up to 64%?
Yup. Those weightings work too. Do you have a plan to get your current 53% for this year up to 64%?

I changed my study plans compared to the previous 2 years. Less extracurricular activities. Less time on piano. Trying to study without getting distracted or watching something while studying.
I changed my study plans compared to the previous 2 years. Less extracurricular activities. Less time on piano. Trying to study without getting distracted or watching something while studying.

All sounds like excellent changes. I hope they manage to do the trick!
All sounds like excellent changes. I hope they manage to do the trick!

I have completed 51% of the course now and currently on 55%. How would you rate my chances?
I have completed 51% of the course now and currently on 55%. How would you rate my chances?

You've left a lot to do in the last 49% but even if u can only realistically get a 2.2 now I think u should stil aim for high grades in Ur last modules. U might be able to get on to a decent masters with a high 2.2

Well, a few days ago you said "I'm currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation" and now you're saying that you're "currently on 55%" - so it's heading in the right direction! :smile:
Well, a few days ago you said "I'm currently on 53% based on all the modules I have done for Semester 1 and part of my dissertation" and now you're saying that you're "currently on 55%" - so it's heading in the right direction! :smile:

Hi. I'm sorry to disturb you about this but when I was looking at my scores, I realised when I did the calculations, I didn't take into account the credits each module is worth - some is worth more than others, especially the dissertation. I did that and now realised some differences. For the second year (which is worth 1/3 of the module), I got 52.4 (52). Right now, third year (2/3 of the module) - with semester 1 modules, 20% of dissertation and other parts of coursework from the semester 2 modules, I am currently at 58% for 51% of the year. Maybe I have a chance of getting that 64%, right?
Hi. I'm sorry to disturb you about this but when I was looking at my scores, I realised when I did the calculations, I didn't take into account the credits each module is worth - some is worth more than others, especially the dissertation. I did that and now realised some differences. For the second year (which is worth 1/3 of the module), I got 52.4 (52). Right now, third year (2/3 of the module) - with semester 1 modules, 20% of dissertation and other parts of coursework from the semester 2 modules, I am currently at 58% for 51% of the year. Maybe I have a chance of getting that 64%, right?

I agree. You still have a chance to get the current 58% (for third year) up to 64%.

As that 58% for the third year so far is based on your results from "51% of the year", you'd need to average about 70% for the remaining 49% of the year to get your third year average up to 64%. Is that plausible, do you think?
I agree. You still have a chance to get the current 58% (for third year) up to 64%.

As that 58% for the third year so far is based on your results from "51% of the year", you'd need to average about 70% for the remaining 49% of the year to get your third year average up to 64%. Is that plausible, do you think?

Minimum is a 63% and you know what, I'm going for it. I have God by my side.
Hi

Yes, its possible. The good thing about engineering is it is very analytically driven meaning that whilst your knowledge needs to be very very strong to achieve high marks in exams and coursework there is nothing really stopping you from getting 80%+ on assignments (unlike some subjects where this would be very exceptional...).

Now realistically are you going to get scores this high, based on your track record its unlikely but what im getting at is engineering has a very high ceiling, if you change your work habits, find the right techniques and match it with effort then you can achieve great things.

Push yourself, work hard and see what you can achieve, best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending