The Student Room Group

student finance mallarky

So, I've had my share of problems with student finance. They held back my money so long that by the time I actually got it from them I was heavily into my overdraft.
My student finance payments now just cover my overdraft, so as soon as I get paid I instantly chip away at my overdraft again, pure frustration.
But that's besides the point. My problem is that I get a low, low amount for my student finance because I live with my parents. Presumably the student finance people assume my parents pay my bills, buy my shopping, etc. Unfortunately, 'tis not so. I pay rent, I buy my own shopping, I pay for supplies for uni, blah blah blah and as I reach the end of my first year I'm beginning to see that this uni life is really not at all feasable with what they give me. I was wondering if there is some way for me to resolve this issue when I reapply for next year's finance, some way to make them understand I still have bills and a living to pay for despite the fact I live with my parents for convenience?
I m so sorry but unless you can convince them you meet the independent student criteria then you cant get anymore student finance :frown:

Doubt it makes you feel any better but most people go into their overdraft at uni, have you check to see how much you would recieve if you moved out , could possibly be worth it if your uni city has cheap accomodation?
That's upsetting to hear

I had considered moving out, people who live on their own (that I know) get 4x what I get which is far more than they need. It's just a hell of a lot more convenient living here with my parents. Maybe in second year I'll look into moving out. For now though, I'll do my best to get a summer job and scrape by on what I have.
Reply 3
You only get a small amount extra SF for living away from home. Have a look at rents where you're planning to live. If you're struggling to afford living with your parents, then I'm not sure that living away from parents is going to be any better (unless your parents already charge you a market rent). Plus you would need to put down an advance deposit as a lump sum for private rented accommodation, and it sounds like this might not be feasible for you.
How much rent are your parents making you pay?
My out just gotta roll with it this year and move out next year bud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheDoubleTap
So, I've had my share of problems with student finance. They held back my money so long that by the time I actually got it from them I was heavily into my overdraft.
My student finance payments now just cover my overdraft, so as soon as I get paid I instantly chip away at my overdraft again, pure frustration.
But that's besides the point. My problem is that I get a low, low amount for my student finance because I live with my parents. Presumably the student finance people assume my parents pay my bills, buy my shopping, etc. Unfortunately, 'tis not so. I pay rent, I buy my own shopping, I pay for supplies for uni, blah blah blah and as I reach the end of my first year I'm beginning to see that this uni life is really not at all feasable with what they give me. I was wondering if there is some way for me to resolve this issue when I reapply for next year's finance, some way to make them understand I still have bills and a living to pay for despite the fact I live with my parents for convenience?

Can you explain to your parents you are struggling? Unfortunately the amount you get from student finance is non negotiable. Your friends you have a lot more money most likely have a lower household income than you.
Hey everyone, thanks for all your replies, I've took all of this into consideration and have set the wheels in motion to move out for next year, moving in with a couple friends of mine from uni who are also struggling.
Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending