The Student Room Group

What's the use of having friends?

Now, without making any assumptions as to why I'm asking this, please tell me what you think.

Why do we want friends, or other people around us?

Is there a personal, individual use of relating to others (apart from, well, survival and the basic structure of our society; I mean: I can have a job that doesn't require any unprofessional connection to others, have my own life and my own solitary hobbies without needing others)?
Note that I'm asking this question with a tone similar to "Why should I care about interacting at a very personal level (friend, love, etc.) with other humans, when I can do so many other things in this world?"

Could we happily live without anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Friends are there to help each other, by making us happy, helping us when we are down.
for company, I've often drank alone and trust me, it's alot better with friends and plus they know alot about you so you can talk to them more with regards asking for advice e.t.c. or whatnot and friends can do things for you that strangers won't if I ask a stranger can he lend me his X-box game or something or can he help me out with my essay; I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
Reply 3
u drink alone? sounds a bit worrying
Reply 4
friend= somebody emotionally close to another: somebody who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another.
The-Lennon
u drink alone? sounds a bit worrying

sometimes
Reply 6
why?
Anonymous
Now, without making any assumptions as to why I'm asking this, please tell me what you think.

Why do we want friends, or other people around us?

Is there a personal, individual use of relating to others (apart from, well, survival and the basic structure of our society; I mean: I can have a job that doesn't require any unprofessional connection to others, have my own life and my own solitary hobbies without needing others)?
Note that I'm asking this question with a tone similar to "Why should I care about interacting at a very personal level (friend, love, etc.) with other humans, when I can do so many other things in this world?"

Could we happily live without anyone else?

No, we couldn't.

Answers your question, really.
The-Lennon
why?

because I like a drink, I don't need someone to hold my hand while I have one
britishseapower

What a crap answer. No one is holding your hand while you're having a drink, it's just generally enjoyable to have other people around you while you are drinking.
britishseapower

er.... i meant why dont you have any friends? most people dont drink unless theyre in social situations
generalebriety
What a crap answer. No one is holding your hand while you're having a drink, it's just generally enjoyable to have other people around you while you are drinking.

sorry, I didn't know I was being assessed :biggrin: well I only have one mate at uni and seeing as his attendance is lacking and he lives a distance from me, I'm on my own mostly....obviously it's better to have peoles company when having a drink but I don't always have that luxury
The-Lennon
er.... i meant why dont you have any friends? most people dont drink unless theyre in social situations

I don't know, maybe I smell.
Reply 13
depends on each individual ''friend''. Some people are crap at being friends. All taking no giving, make you wanna ..... ********
Reply 14
But what if there is a really independent person who doesn't need anyone's help to survive and follow her interests? Who can get things done without needing to share with others the joy and the pain of doing so?

If there was such an extreme case of independence, would friendship still have an honest meaning?
Reply 15
no we can't be happy without having emotional bonds with people.

it's human nature. just like judging somebody on first impressions. people say they don't do it, of course they do. it's just something that happens naturally. just like how we all crave love/someone to listen to us/someone to show interest in us and know who we are, what we like, etc/someone to talk to/etc. list is long, but you get the idea.

friends are awesome. they're free fun, ha ha. i never forget the times i've had with my friends. i could get As in all my exams, be absolutley OVER the moon for that day and longer, but so what? i'll get the dream job i wanted, yeah, ok, then what?

there's only so far and so much a human can literally accomplish on their own.

who would we have to be proud of us/relax with/laugh with/share the good news with/etc (again, lol).

i don't know. i'd've liked to explain my point further because i really really love my friends and i can appreciate them so much because i used to literally HATE the friends i had before. i was such a loner. i don't know how i survived.

friends rule - moral of this post. haha.
most people enjoy company?
Anonymous
But what if there is a really independent person who doesn't need anyone's help to survive and follow her interests? Who can get things done without needing to share with others the joy and the pain of doing so?

If there was such an extreme case of independence, would friendship still have an honest meaning?

I don't think that person exists, obviously some people have more independence than others but nobody go through life completely on their own
britishseapower
I don't know, maybe I smell.

where do you drink alone?
yeah I dont know about you but my friends are fun

Latest

Trending

Trending