The Student Room Group

How to tell my mum I wear boxers?

I'm female, and I prefer to wear boxer briefs most of the time.

I'm going to be moving home for the summer, and my mum will definitely end up seeing them at some point while doing laundry or while they are drying.
How do I explain wearing boxers to her? Or alternatively do I just suck it up and wear "normal" underwear for the summer?- but then I'd have to buy some more, hide my boxers somewhere and it just feels a bit dishonest tbh.
I'm not doing anything wrong, but I don't know how she (and my dad as well) will react.
Original post by Storme

I'm going to be moving home for the summer, and my mum will definitely end up seeing them at some point while doing laundry or while they are drying.
How do I explain wearing boxers to her? Or alternatively do I just suck it up and wear "normal" underwear for the summer?- but then I'd have to buy some more, hide my boxers somewhere and it just feels a bit dishonest tbh.
I'm not doing anything wrong, but I don't know how she (and my dad as well) will react.

Depends on your mother. Will she make a big deal? I wear boxers too and my mother-in-law hasn't ever said anything. My mum is fine with it too. Totes depends on the parent.
It's underwear. I fail to see why this is a big deal in any way. Just wear them, if it comes up just say they're comfier. End of.
Reply 3
Yeah, I have no idea how she'll react *shrug*. She'll be surprised at the very least.

She'll probably act ok with it with me, but she might be a bit upset about it- I've heard her crying to my dad about how I'm not the girly daughter she wanted :frown:

Without being creepy, which brand of boxers do you guys wear? I'm trying to find some without a massive "package pouch"! Seriously tempted to see if I fit in M&S boys ones because they have star wars :colone:
Why would she or you for that matter care? Girls can wear boxers just as guys can, now if she was having to wash those thongs that are little more than a strip of cloth then i'd personally want to keep them hidden :L
Um just tell them it's not like your telling them your lesbian or something. Just an example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What the actual ****?

Is this even a thing?
Original post by Storme

I know this doesn't matter at all but I'm just curious, are you a lesbian and/or a tomboy?

Of course it doesn't matter, whatever you're comfortable with you should be allowed to do/wear this doesn't harm anyone. However it depends whether you think it's something you want to discuss with your parents, if it was me I'd rather just wear normal than discuss something like that with my parents, I'd just find it a hassle to have to explain. But if you want to just say you know it's unusual but you just find them a lot more comfortable and that if that makes them uncomfortable you're sorry but that's just how it is and they'll only have to put up with it over summer.
(edited 8 years ago)
You - "Mum, can you buy me boxers please, as I find them more comfortable"
Mum - "ok dear"

Job done. Does this really require internet advice?
Reply 9
Original post by Little Popcorns
I know this doesn't matter at all but I'm just curious, are you a lesbian and/or a tomboy?

Of course it doesn't matter, whatever you're comfortable with you should be allowed to do/wear this doesn't harm anyone. However it depends whether you think it's something you want to discuss with your parents, if it was me I'd rather just wear normal than discuss something like that with my parents, I'd just find it a hassle to have to explain. But if you want to just say you know it's unusual but you just find them a lot more comfortable and that if that makes them uncomfortable you're sorry but that's just how it is and they'll only have to put up with it over summer.

Yeah I'm a huge tomboy, don't think I'm a lesbian though :wink: (My parents might think I am but they've never asked me about it)

I wear mostly men's clothing and my mum is ok with it- she's a bit disappointed I guess but she wouldn't say anything to my face. She would probably not totally freak out over men's underwear, but she would definitely think it was really weird!

I think I'll just wear them and see how she reacts....maybe not a good idea to take them when I go to stay with my grandma though! She'd probably have a heart attack.. :tongue:
Why should your mom care whether you wear female boxers or knickers or other panties? If you find female boxers more comfortable than knickers or other panties then there is nothing wrong with it, if your mom has a problem with it then you could wash your own panties
Reply 11
Original post by scorpion95
Why should your mom care whether you wear female boxers or knickers or other panties? If you find female boxers more comfortable than knickers or other panties then there is nothing wrong with it, if your mom has a problem with it then you could wash your own panties

They're not female boxers, they are men's- which is mostly the issue! I wore "girl boxers" as a child sometimes, but I think my mum would think it seriously weird to be wearing men's underwear. That said, its not doing any harm so I think I will just chuck them in the laundry basket and see if she mentions it. It's possible she might think they are my brother's and I am going commando lol.
At home all the washing gets done communally and it's a bit of a waste of water/electricity to do a separate wash just for my underwear!

Am I the only one who finds the word "panties" super creepy? :tongue:
Original post by Storme
They're not female boxers, they are men's- which is mostly the issue! I wore "girl boxers" as a child sometimes, but I think my mum would think it seriously weird to be wearing men's underwear. That said, its not doing any harm so I think I will just chuck them in the laundry basket and see if she mentions it. It's possible she might think they are my brother's and I am going commando lol.
At home all the washing gets done communally and it's a bit of a waste of water/electricity to do a separate wash just for my underwear!

Am I the only one who finds the word "panties" super creepy? :tongue:

Oh okay, I thought they were female ones. Are they tight ones or loose ones? I think that it is a bit weird for girls to be wearing men's boxers which is why I thought that women's boxers were invented.

As for just putting them in the washing basket then I would agree that either your mom will think that they are your brothers and you go commando or however she might put two and two together and realise that they are yours and as she would notice new ones not seen before with you coming back. But be careful your mom could put them in with your brothers boxers when they are dry.

I would just put them in the washing basket and see what happens, the worst that would happen is her having a talk with you about it, the other is just them getting washed and you having them back.

As for the 'panties' word being creepy I don't think it is, I use the word 'panties' to incorporate all different styles, knickers/thongs/g-strings etc etc. Panties is easier to write/type than putting all the styles down, 'underwear' is more masculine and associate with male items rather than womens. I know 'panties' is an american term rather than English but I like the word
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by scorpion95
Are they tight ones or loose ones?

Mainly tight ones, I do have a couple of loose ones that I experimented with, but they're not as comfy under jeans so I only wear them to sleep or under a tracksuit.

Womens boxers are equally comfortable (unless they are tiny ones), but they are harder to find, generally more expensive and are usually just plain black or white....whereas I can get a 3 pack of funky patterned boxers from H and M's kid section (don't judge :colondollar:) for 5.99

Thanks for your advice, I think I will just put them in the wash and see what happens...
If it helps, the female lead in John Hughes' 'Some Kind of Wonderful' wore boxer shorts and pulled them off; compared to some female underwrar I've seen, boxers are totally more attractive. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending