The Student Room Group

The future of GEM

Ive read a few comments on here saying that the future of GEM is uncertain. What do people mean by this? Will GEM be totally scrapped or will the number of applicants be significantly reduced? Tbf with the current Tory government the NHS will be hit hard so these worries aren't unfounded

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump?
I've heard that there was a move to increase GEM places?

I know one GEM course was cut last year but not heard anything about a decrease other than that, and I regularly look at the BMJ site
Reply 3
[QUOTE=ThatHealthyLife;56216069]I've heard that there was a move to increase GEM places?

I know one GEM course was cut last year but not heard anything about a decrease other than that, and I regularly look at the BMJ site

I know that SGUL cut their GEM places to create more room for their undergrad. I wasn't aware that they want to increase GEM places. I hope they do
Original post by Nucleotide
I know that SGUL cut their GEM places to create more room for their undergrad. I wasn't aware that they want to increase GEM places. I hope they do

For me I feel there's more of a problem with accessibility of grads to the undergrad course due to the lack of available funding. I do hope they keep on with GEM though and widen participation that way. But really I don't mind, as long as it is accessible one way or the other... the additional 1 year of undergrad isn't all that off putting.
Reply 5
A couple of years ago SGUL cut GEM places by 50%, Imperial changed their GEM from 4 years to a 5 year course and Leicester have announced 2015 is the final intake for their GEM.

In addition there are moves to change the point of registration to the end of degree, in contrast with the end of FY1 as it stands now. This will result in 4 year courses be one non-compliant with regulations.

Finally discussions have begun concerning the removal of the foundation years altogether, which will only reinforce the above point.

All of this points to a big change in the medical education system, with a push to make the profession more accessible to overseas medical graduates. Whether or not this results in the end of GEM is uncertain, it will however mean a significant change in GEM if these actions come to pass. Given the actions of some medical schools, as above, it seems they aren't confident it will remain.
Reply 6
Ive read a few comments on here saying that the future of GEM is uncertain. What do people mean by this? Will GEM be totally scrapped or will the number of applicants be significantly reduced? Tbf with the current Tory government the NHS will be hit hard so these worries aren't unfounded

Hopefully, too big a burden on us tax payers. Make it private.
Reply 7
[QUOTE=Zorg;56216503]A couple of years ago SGUL cut GEM places by 50%, Imperial changed their GEM from 4 years to a 5 year course and Leicester have announced 2015 is the final intake for their GEM.

In addition there are moves to change the point of registration to the end of degree, in contrast with the end of FY1 as it stands now. This will result in 4 year courses be one non-compliant with regulations.

Finally discussions have begun concerning the removal of the foundation years altogether, which will only reinforce the above point.

All of this points to a big change in the medical education system, with a push to make the profession more accessible to overseas medical graduates. Whether or not this results in the end of GEM is uncertain, it will however mean a significant change in GEM if these actions come to pass. Given the actions of some medical schools, as above, it seems they aren't confident it will remain.

Well that's err.. Worrying.

A massive upheaval of the medical education system isn't going to come about overnight, so won't GEM (in its current form) have a few more years left?
Reply 8
Original post by hellodave5
For me I feel there's more of a problem with accessibility of grads to the undergrad course due to the lack of available funding. I do hope they keep on with GEM though and widen participation that way. But really I don't mind, as long as it is accessible one way or the other... the additional 1 year of undergrad isn't all that off putting.

In the grand scheme of things a move from a 4 year graduate course to a 5 year one isn't a big deal. I just don't want GEM to completely scrapped. I'm an A level student and medicine is something I'm hell bent on getting into. If I flop my A levels I want the reassurance that there's going to be a way for me to get into medicine, and graduate entry is the most likely route.
Reply 9
Well that's err.. Worrying.

A massive upheaval of the medical education system isn't going to come about overnight, so won't GEM (in its current form) have a few more years left?

The proposal for changing the point of registration was put forward in 2013.
I'd say it has a good couple of years yet, but I'd be apprehensive if I were about to start a degree hoping to enter GEM afterwards.

I'm just hoping I can get through FY1 before they get rid of it.
Reply 10
In the grand scheme of things a move from a 4 year graduate course to a 5 year one isn't a big deal. I just don't want GEM to completely scrapped. I'm an A level student and medicine is something I'm hell bent on getting into. If I flop my A levels I want the reassurance that there's going to be a way for me to get into medicine, and graduate entry is the most likely route.

There's no tuition fee funding for graduates on a 5 year course. As things stand I would be very surprised to see funding from 4 year courses brought over to 5 year courses, not unless there is a cap on the number of graduates that a course might accept.
Original post by Zorg
There's no tuition fee funding for graduates on a 5 year course. As things stand I would be very surprised to see funding from 4 year courses brought over to 5 year courses, not unless there is a cap on the number of graduates that a course might accept.

Is this really true? I'm not a graduate so I don't pretend to know much at all, but I'm 99.9% sure the grads on my course (non-GEM course, obvs) have been receiving some student loan £££. Unless it's a recent change then it doesn't seem to fit.
[QUOTE=Zorg;56217797]There's no tuition fee funding for graduates on a 5 year course. As things stand I would be very surprised to see funding from 4 year courses brought over to 5 year courses, not unless there is a cap on the number of graduates that a course might accept.

Urgh.

I think if I don't get the grades this year, then I won't apply for something like biomed. Because if GEM dies, I'll be stuck with a degree which doesn't exactly have great prospects career wise.

I'd go for a degree which gave me more job security even if it's not biologically related. If GEM is still knocking around then I'll apply to the non-science unis
Reply 13
Original post by seaholme
Is this really true? I'm not a graduate so I don't pretend to know much at all, but I'm 99.9% sure the grads on my course (non-GEM course, obvs) have been receiving some student loan £££. Unless it's a recent change then it doesn't seem to fit.

They get a maintenance loan, can't remember whether they receive the income assessed part but I'm inclined to think they do. No grants however and most universities will turn you away for scholarships/grants. Hardship funds being the exception.

The only funding for tuition is from the NHS from 5th year onwards. That's still £36,000 one needs to procure, doable but certainly not easy.
Original post by Zorg
A couple of years ago SGUL cut GEM places by 50%, Imperial changed their GEM from 4 years to a 5 year course and Leicester have announced 2015 is the final intake for their GEM.

Looks like the UK is thinking of moving to the US system.
Urgh.

I think if I don't get the grades this year, then I won't apply for something like biomed. Because if GEM dies, I'll be stuck with a degree which doesn't exactly have great prospects career wise.

I'd go for a degree which gave me more job security even if it's not biologically related. If GEM is still knocking around then I'll apply to the non-science unis

You can do something like chemistry or physics right, they tend to have decent job prospects.
[QUOTE=Okorange;56218715]You can do something like chemistry or physics right, they tend to have decent job prospects.

Chemistry is the subject which might cost me my place at uni :s B****y OCR!

And without maths can't do physics or engineering.

It's medicine or nothing
Reply 17
Original post by Okorange
Looks like the UK is thinking of moving to the US system.

Eh? Not at all, it's the UK looking at moving to a more European system.

In the US (and Canada) all their medical students are graduates, having done a previous undergraduate degree and usually picking up "pre med" credits alongside their overall degree subject. This means they exit medical school in their late 20s and early 30s, as opposed to 23/24 as is typical in the UK.

The proposed move of the point of registration in the UK will likely end up with the removal in its entirety of 4 year graduate programmes, as they won't meet the training hours requirements once FY1 is removed from the picture. Whilst it's likely that changes will be made to accept graduates on five year courses, there's huge funding implications for that right now. It's also suggested that we move to a six year medical school, which is an exact match for the EU, essentially bringing FY1 in house.

Same pal. Regardless of GEM specifically, I think it will always be open to graduates - just because of their push for different types of people in medicine.
Many courses seem to have lower GCSE and A level requirements for graduates. So I wouldn't worry too much about the A levels.

I think the point about scrapping GEM has come from a conflict with international medical regulations suggesting that 4 years isn't long enough. Then I think I read somewhere else that they are changing around the FY years, or something. Guess we have to see how it goes.

Hopefully they keep it - but not in the know re regulations. With GEM, there is a nice level of flexibility - often taking all applicants with a degree into account, on individual merits. Undergrad just seems like too much box ticking - not to say that GEM doesn't have that too.
Urgh.

That limits your options unfortunately, plus the non-science ones, except for Warwick, require the GAMSAT or BMAT which are difficult without a science background. I'm your classic example of ''stuck with a degree which doesn't exactly have great prospects career wise'' and I've got a choice of 5 that I can apply to with my non-science degree (assuming the entry criteria don't change/the courses continue). I also have non-science A-Levels so Southampton/Cambridge are off the table. If I could do it all again I'd have held off from uni and done another set of A-levels but at the time that seemed ridiculous knowing it would take me 2 years to do that when I could get a degree in 3 years and still apply to med....little did I know.

Personally, I'm now looking at an AHP role and weighing it up against Medicine. Either way, I'm going back to uni to retrain so my advice, if you're not keen on taking your chances with Biomed is to choose a degree that will ultimately lead to an NHS career.Then if GEM is still around and you still fancy it, you'll be in an excellent position and will have a lot more experience than if you'd done a purely academic degree. It also means that you will have a career to fall back on should your application be unsuccessful. If my application is unsuccessful this year, well basically I'm ****ed because I have no career hence my hesitance to apply at all. I could train in another NHS role where the competition is less intense and still have an enjoyable career and I could do Medicine as a 3rd degree, I'll still only be 29/30 by the time I'm qualified Physio. But yeah, the idea of a 3rd degree isn't great. So save yourself the bother and do a science related degree, preferably an NHS funded one with a career at the end of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending