The Student Room Group

How to go through life without an intern/gradaute job and progress career wise

Throughout uni I was promised an internship then a graduate job but I never got them at all

now I am forced to work for agencies doing temp work with little or no hope of a permanent job
how is one suppose to go through life with out an internship or graduate job and how are you suppose to progress in your career if your can get your foot in the door or even progress with a graduate job or even any internship at all while everyone else has or had a internship and even in a graduate job then now become managers how are you suppose to go on in life
Original post by J-SP
Who promised you the internship and graduate job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the Uni and the companies I applied to including all guest speakers that came to uni
Reply 2
Original post by tmckinnin56
Throughout uni I was promised an internship then a graduate job but I never got them at all

now I am forced to work for agencies doing temp work with little or no hope of a permanent job
how is one suppose to go through life with out an internship or graduate job and how are you suppose to progress in your career if your can get your foot in the door or even progress with a graduate job or even any internship at all while everyone else has or had a internship and even in a graduate job then now become managers how are you suppose to go on in life

Who promised and why haven't you got one?

You're not forced to do temp work, you can work for yourself.

60%+ of people manage to go on in life...
Reply 3
Original post by tmckinnin56
the Uni and the companies I applied to including all guest speakers that came to uni

Promised you? :s-smilie:

How? :s-smilie:

Quite suprised every company you applied to offered you a grad job, yet you don't have a grad job...
Reply 4
Quite simply you just have to find that permanent job and then be better than everybody else. Push yourself for pay and promotions and each year.
Retrain with a vocational qualification. I'm guessing you have a non-vocational degree? This is what happens to a lot of people - you either retrain or do entry level work and hope to progress. Personally, I don't like basing my future on hope, so I'm retraining. It's a harsh reality to face and you're bound to feel upset about it to begin with but rather than complaining or feeling down, you need to look at how to fix it. You can either go to college and do something vocational or return to uni and do something employable (most NHS funded courses, a PGCE in subject that needs more teachers). If you don't fancy that then there are TEFL courses that can allow you to teach abroad pretty quickly. But if you don't want to go back to education then find an industry that you are interested in and try to get an entry level position and work up the ladder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending