The Student Room Group

The impatient and hopeful fresher...

Whilst waiting for university to start and by that i mean the drinking, the stress and the ultimate experience the margin between college and university is lonnggg. So what would be a better idea than to write a freshers blog (chorus of "anything")
Reply 1
Hello fellow TSR members :smile:
When waiting for my official adult life to start aka university it seems as if preparation is the only thing I can think of, that and my cat (yes i'm a single cat lady). It seems as if not many people really document this transitional period between college and uni focusing more on freshers drunken sessions rather than the mental and physical progress of leaving home and forming your own identity. Hence this blog is the opportunity for later generations of prospective freshers, or indeed those in my situation to feel as if someone is there. Not only to show what the experience is like, but to indicate that what you're feeling is perfectly normal; slightly terrifying but normal none the less.

Anyway ignoring my rambles, maybe this is the opportunity to tell you a little about myself. Firstly I'm a soon to be Sheffield Hallam university student studying business economics. I ramble quite a bit (if you haven't noticed) and I while feel arrogant making a blog about myself, hopefully this experience as both a perspective student and fresher will be one of fun, thrills and a high likelihood of clumsiness. :biggrin:
P.S. Sorry for the sad jokes that will follow throughout this blog.
Reply 2
Ahhh the life of a student one to be admired in the younger years and loathed in our older years(mainly because of the lack of money) speaking of money did you know that the average debt for a student after a 4 year course is around £45,000. That's right £45,000 and what for? A certificate and a level of prestige. Hmm i wonder if cows feel like that when they were branded by cowboys as if their constant grass chewing is one of amazement. Whilst yes i mock the money aspect of things I do imagine student life being one of liberation and noodles- lots of noodles.
Discovering the facts of figures of it all is just a small/expensive aspect of a life that many people on TSR, including myself are going to pursue within a couple of months.So what do we do before then? Open a student bank account to know that if I manage to get into an overdraft I'll have some security in a 0% interest rate. Great! What next? Create a budget in order to ration my student loan thrilling -_- Especially in concern to the fresher's week budget hopefully under £80; haha no but a girl can dream. Oh and don't forget the large checklist of possessions required for uni including bulk cleaning supplies, an array of colorful clothes, shoes, scarfs and all. As well as drinking games and the fresh new duvet set you'll need *happy dance* new stuff!!!
Although, what about the other stuff? How can a person fully prepare of university? Wondering whether you'll be able to make friends, worrying about who you're actually going to live with, whether the course you have desired to learn is all it adds up to; not forgetting the fact that you may not like professors. So okay there area lot of questions still surrounding the university life regardless of numerous tips and guides, and perhaps the misconceptions surrounding the lifestyle are partially to blame for this. However, hopefully the closer it comes to it the more confident I will feel in the outcome, which if I continue to write about you'll know :tongue:
Thankyou for anyone who actually views my mumblings :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
On to the next chapter of uni preparation: The checklist *dramatic chorus of dun, dun,dunnnnn*

Throughout the separate blogs and youtube videos it becomes quite clear that major aspect on everyone's mind would be the stuff that you actually have to bring, that and making friends but there isn't exact science or list for that sort of thing.Although I've kinda brushed on the subject previously it's good to have a morethorough approach to the subject including tips on storage and the kitchensupplies.

Firstly, the list that you're likely to compile will be long, like mine was 3 pages including everything from alcohol (the most essential aspect for freshers week of course:tongue: ) to ear plugs (post freshers week) and if you're looking for suggestions on what to bring the best place to look would be the wondrous creation of TSR. After compiling this list It kind of makes you wonder how you're able to use that many cleaning products without turning into a bar of soap. However, asubject not often touched upon would be the dilemma of what to bring in termsof cookery seeing as everyone of your soon to be housemates is likely to bringjust as many pots and pans making your small flat kitchen look like an episodeof "help I'm a hoarder".

So on to some top tips...

Use cardboard boxes to carry you stuff rather than big suitcases as small dorms are unlikely to accommodate large suitcases and the boxes can be used for storage

Unpack as soon as possible because then there's a more comforting environment and you can make friends

Doorstop

Try to remember that there's only so much space available so don't get carried away with packing

Step 1: If your university gives you information on who your flatmates are then talk to them before you get there so you at least know someone before you get there and there's always facebook

Step 2: Discuss with prospective housemates on what one another are bringing (very helpful concerning what kitchen supplies to bring)

When you get to your accommodation along with your flatmates have a discussion on house rules (dull but necessary)

Multiple plug thing and extension cable

Fairy/lamp/desk lights!

fancy dress

drinking games

Hope this has been helpful. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending