The Student Room Group

The Year in Industry (YINI)

Scroll to see replies

Let us know how your interview goes Katwin, hopefully it will go well. Reading that thing Matt posted kinda scares me abut such interviews. I sent in an application for YINI today.
Sephiroth
Hmm well that's good advice. I wouldn't say I fit what you said the typical Yini person is though. While I am doing well at college and plan to go to a respected uni I am a bit older (22) than most people applying for this would be. I still think the experience gained would be very useful to me though.

Since I wouldn't be the typical Yini applicant that's why I can't decide if it's something I should try. And when I look at the vacancies for positions on their website I don't see many, and some don't sound easy either. But perhaps those are only a small selection. I guess I should do what you said and talk to Yini.

Edit, and I suppose I should have looked at their FAQ. "Around two thirds of all applicants are successfully placed with companies." Sounds like the odds are high enough to be worth trying anyway.

Heya there, just to let you know that I'm 20 this year and have managed to secure a YINI placement for 2006-2007. So being 22 years old wouldnt affect your job chances.
yeahyeahyeahs
Heya there, just to let you know that I'm 20 this year and have managed to secure a YINI placement for 2006-2007. So being 22 years old wouldnt affect your job chances.

Yeah, that's what they said on the phone when I asked for advice. When I look on the website they don't have many vacancies listed. I assume they get hundreds of people applying too, so getting a place sounds hard. The northeast only has a few IT vacancies for example. >.<

Oh yeah, I'm 23 now. :P
Reply 43
I think the vacancies on the website are just examples ones as you don't really apply directly to specific companies unless you explicitly ask YINI to do so. I never saw my company advertised online...
Reply 44
Yeah, the vacancies on the site are a bit pre-dated anyway.
I'm currently on a placement and in my opinion YINI has been a rather dissapointing expereince.

The positive points are that you get to meet people doing the same thing as you during the college days, you get a qualification and money in your pocket. I suppose it could be argued that you get a year of decent experience too, whether ot is relevant or not i shall discuss further down.

I do have plenty of issues though. For starters, i applied around october '05, had my meeting with YINI around early january '06 and was promised that i would be updated around february. This did not happen. I contacted them and the reply was that there was no news. I did this a couple of times over the next couple of months and eventually i got a call from unilever offering an interview for a post over in liverpool (i live near harrogate which would meen leaving home). I appreciate that some of you are happy to live away from home but i was not prepared to use roughly half the years income on accomodation, food and transport. This was stated on my application and clearly ignored. I heard nothing and gave up, finding employment through a agency as junior accountant. I finally got a 2nd call mid october 06 offering me an interview that then got me my current placement.

That is a whole year between applying and getting a placement.

The experience i have gained has been immeasurable as it is a small company and i am seeing the full workings of it day to day. It is, however, not particularly relevant to a maths and physics course that i shall be starting in september.

This seems to ring true for alot of people (you may disagree but certainly for my area) that the work can often seem reactive, unproductive and irrelevant to future study plans.

Another issue is with the actually qualification you recieve. It's designed for first line managers. As a result, the assignments that are set usually require alot of creative license and when we have to talk about putting yourself into the shoes of your department leader, as the company employs a total of 10 people and i am the only person in business development, i find it difficult to do this.

YINI tell us it can work for us as we are potential managers and are unwilling to find a more appropriate course.

Remember, this is just my personnel view and you can agree or disagree but i am writing this for anybody deciding whether or not they should apply.

My final thoughts are that there is no 'typical' applicant when looking at peoples grades and other merits. The common denominator of most YINI students is that are wanting some experience and are hard working. With regards to the number of applicants per placement, i really have no idea but you should not be put off if your grades or AAAAAAA, there are people i know who are doing it with nothing above a C. Remember that you dont need to be an academic to impress a company.

Thats my rant/two penneth. Take it as it is and if anybody has actually worked through it then thankyou and well done, i appreciate that alot of the grammer and spelling is awful.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Reply 46
InPictureLoansWeTrust

The experience i have gained has been immeasurable as it is a small company and i am seeing the full workings of it day to day. It is, however, not particularly relevant to a maths and physics course that i shall be starting in september.

This seems to ring true for alot of people (you may disagree but certainly for my area) that the work can often seem reactive, unproductive and irrelevant to future study plans.

Another issue is with the actually qualification you recieve. It's designed for first line managers. As a result, the assignments that are set usually require alot of creative license and when we have to talk about putting yourself into the shoes of your department leader, as the company employs a total of 10 people and i am the only person in business development, i find it difficult to do this.

YINI tell us it can work for us as we are potential managers and are unwilling to find a more appropriate course.

Remember, this is just my personnel view and you can agree or disagree but i am writing this for anybody deciding whether or not they should apply.

I agree with a lot that you have said. YINI definitely has plus and minus points.

Moving away from home - important to consider this, I moved away and I certainly spend a lot more money than I would had I stayed at home. It is also interesting to note this seems to have limited the companies you could apply to and slowed down your application. I have never heard of an application that slow, bad luck :frown:. Did you apply with NW YINI in Manchester? They were pretty good with me. I applied for economics/business based placements and had no luck until I expanded my criteria for a place I was willing to work - maybe you experienced something similar?

Small business - I'm in a small business and at first seemed not very relevent to my career as it is Maths based. However being here has introduced me to some ideas about careers I had not previously thought of which is fun! As a small business though (only *counts* 7 of us in the office) it is very quiet! Too quite really, adds to the boringness of the work sometimes when it is so quiet and sometimes a lack of work to do. I am undecided on whether a small business increases or decreases the variety of work for a YINI student...

CMI course - I love this!! We all get together sleep on each others' floors and go clubbing. The course is odd, difficult to understand sometimes as you have to talk about people/things you're managing and it gets a bit confusing when you don't! However a course designed for first line managers will hold more sway/look better on a CV? Meh.

Good points are definitely my mates, the work experience, the fun works trips (I've been on a press conference, 2 training days and will be going to a conference where I'm giving a demonstration and our big 2 day conference), having money!, being able to save money for next year, being away from home and I think there's some others but I can't remember...

Good post btw.
tourist

It is also interesting to note this seems to have limited the companies you could apply to and slowed down your application. I have never heard of an application that slow, bad luck :frown:. Did you apply with NW YINI in Manchester? I applied for economics/business based placements and had no luck until I expanded my criteria for a place I was willing to work - maybe you experienced something similar?

I'm in a small business and at first seemed not very relevent to my career as it is Maths based. However being here has introduced me to some ideas about careers I had not previously thought of which is fun!

CMI course - I love this!! We all get together sleep on each others' floors and go clubbing. The course is odd, difficult to understand sometimes as you have to talk about people/things you're managing and it gets a bit confusing when you don't! However a course designed for first line managers will hold more sway/look better on a CV? Meh.

Good points are definitely my mates, the work experience, the fun works trips (I've been on a press conference, 2 training days and will be going to a conference where I'm giving a demonstration and our big 2 day conference), having money!, being able to save money for next year, being away from home and I think there's some others but I can't remember...

With regards to where i applied through, it was with the Yorkshire region based in York. Very handy as this isn't very far away at all and even better with the college days in York too. I think one of the main factors in it being such as slow process was me sending a bit of a stroppy email to them just before summer telling them i wasn't impressed with the lack of communication and i'd find work else where.

My employer did apply for a student around August time, however, and heard nothing of it until he phoned up again in october and they finally got the ball in motion. Not very impressive.

I do have to admit that the work i am doing is far more varied than working in an accounts office and, like you say, being introduced to new career options has certainly been food for thought.

Like you say, the social side of the CMI course is a big plus and however much we may moan about the course content, you're spot on about it looking great on the CV. It was however revealed to us that only 5 out of the 12 that completed the course at York college (I think about 8 others dropped out before that) actually gained the certificate. This does frustrate me as i was given the impression at my YINI interview that the course is easy with a high pass rate. This doesn't exactly create an honest relationship between scheme and student if what we're being told isn't true.

With regards to the positive bits again, the major one for me was organising a stand at the autosport exhibition in Birmingham. Free entry, personally forming strong relationships with major firms and free food made it a rather satisfying (and exhausting) week.

I would certainly recommend the experience but, as with most things, there are issues that, in time, will hopefully be assessed with the intention to resolve
Reply 48
InPictureLoansWeTrust
It was however revealed to us that only 5 out of the 12 that completed the course at York college (I think about 8 others dropped out before that) actually gained the certificate. This does frustrate me as i was given the impression at my YINI interview that the course is easy with a high pass rate. This doesn't exactly create an honest relationship between scheme and student if what we're being told isn't true.

I think the pass rate of those who complete the course is high. People do seem to drop like files though, everytime I go to a f2f weekend there seem to be fewer students! If you stick the course out you will pass, it's all coursework based... It's just about making a tiny bit of effort and actually *doing* the assignments I think. Lots of people can't be bothered but at the end of the day it's not a lot of work for a decent (and free!) qualification. Easier to do it now then when (if) you're actually trying to be a line manager! /2 cents
Very true

(my two penneth is worth more than your two cents, almost twice as much infact! :p: )
Reply 50
Yeah yeah whatever :smile:
Oooh I got word yesterday of an interview near Liverpool in a little town. Hmmm I asked to go somewhere near London or Oxford or sometihng but Liverpool.. Anybody know Runcorn??
Reply 52
Runcorn is commonly known as "a big chavvy blister just outside Liverpool."
Reply 53
I've just had an interview for Mott MacDonald, based in Croydon, which I think (hope!) went quite well. Seems like a good company.

YINI do seem to be extremely disorganised. I only found out about the interview on Monday, and was only told where and when it would be last night. Mott also only received the very first draft of my CV, which was annoying as I've updated it a hell of a lot since I sent it in. I'm based in London, and said I didn't want to move away from home, but they keep sending my stuff from Devon and Bristol, which is interesting but not what I asked for!
I have an interview on Monday with YINI to start the application process. Can people please give me some advice for this interview and what to expect? It's not a job interview so it can't be that bad surely.
Reply 55
PurpleO
I've just had an interview for Mott MacDonald, based in Croydon, which I think (hope!) went quite well. Seems like a good company.

YINI do seem to be extremely disorganised. I only found out about the interview on Monday, and was only told where and when it would be last night. Mott also only received the very first draft of my CV, which was annoying as I've updated it a hell of a lot since I sent it in. I'm based in London, and said I didn't want to move away from home, but they keep sending my stuff from Devon and Bristol, which is interesting but not what I asked for!

Three 3 YINI students I know work at Mott MacDonald - they are really enjoying themselves.

I kept on receiving interviews for Newport (Wales) and crazy places like Kent when I specifically stipulated London only! Other than thlat I think YINI were great...for me anyway.
Reply 56
Sephiroth
I have an interview on Monday with YINI to start the application process. Can people please give me some advice for this interview and what to expect? It's not a job interview so it can't be that bad surely.

I went to my YINI interview expecting it to be "an interview" turned up in a suit ready to answer questions etc. All it turned out to be was the YNI representitive going through my CV with me expanding on bits as I talked to him and him explaining the YINI process. Also at this point I was asked about which areas of work I would be interested in and amended this section of my application, I was also asked if there were any specific companies I wanted them to approach.

Then I went home, waste of a trip to Manchester!
tourist
I went to my YINI interview expecting it to be "an interview" turned up in a suit ready to answer questions etc. All it turned out to be was the YNI representitive going through my CV with me expanding on bits as I talked to him and him explaining the YINI process. Also at this point I was asked about which areas of work I would be interested in and amended this section of my application, I was also asked if there were any specific companies I wanted them to approach.

Then I went home, waste of a trip to Manchester!

Ah thanks. That's made me feel less worried about it. ^_^
Can still imagine it being hard though.
Although I can't see why that would last an hour.

Following on to what Dimez said, going to all those interviews sounds costly. I don't mind relocating for a placement, but going to a lot of interviews like that could cost a fortune. Especially if not informed weeks in advance like PurpleO wasn't. I think I would only consider relocating to the big cities, so not exactly an "anywhere in uk" person.
Reply 58
Sephiroth

Following on to what Dimez said, going to all those interviews sounds costly. I don't mind relocating for a placement, but going to a lot of interviews like that could cost a fortune. Especially if not informed weeks in advance like PurpleO wasn't. I think I would only consider relocating to the big cities, so not exactly an "anywhere in uk" person.

When I did my interview for the company I was placed with they paid my travel expenses. They're a small and very friendly company though, not sure if others will do this... Worth asking I guess?
Reply 59
Sephiroth

Tourist is right. The "Assessment Day" was an absolute joke. The interview was merely a chat about my CV and which field I wanted to work in.

It won't last an hour - I don't mine took me anymore than 10-15 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest