The Student Room Group

The Year in Industry (YINI)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
katwin
I got YINI info about some placements at QinetiQ today. I don't know whether I want to apply. I mean, it's ubercool, and with prospects for sponsorship and a graduate job, but I would have to move away. To Worcestershire.

i put qinetiq down as one of the companies i'd like them to put send my app to on the app form for yini! some of the stuff on the website looks pretty gd.... also they do placements specifically for pre-uni ppl by the looks of it. whats so bad about worcestershire??

thanks for the pm tourist, was rly useful (as long ago as it was... should rly probs check my pms more regularly lol)

got my assessment day coming up this wed in dartford.
Reply 81
wr3012
i put qinetiq down as one of the companies i'd like them to put send my app to on the app form for yini! some of the stuff on the website looks pretty gd.... also they do placements specifically for pre-uni ppl by the looks of it. whats so bad about worcestershire??

there's nothing particularly bad about worcestershire, it's just far away :frown: and don't know anything about it.
A colleague at work is on YinI and knows people at qinetiq, I think they like it.
Reply 83
wr3012
thanks for the pm tourist, was rly useful (as long ago as it was... should rly probs check my pms more regularly lol)

No probs!

On another note I know someone at QinetiQ and they're spending half their time in Cambridge on some "project" that seems to involve paid accommodation and food. *bitter*
QinetiQ sounds nice. I wonder if that was the company YINI said to me today is very good. I had my application interview today. It seemed to go smoothly and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Lasted like 80 minutes though!

I didn't realise I was wearing jeans instead of trousers until I got there. I apologised and he didn't mind. Luckily it wasn't a real interview because it would have ruined my chances. I felt like a plank in reception because some student in a suit walked in. He was with us. Funny thing is; me, him and the interviewer were all called David.
Reply 85
I decided to tell them to send my CV to QinetiQ. It sounds like a great opportunity, even though I would have to move away. And I'm not confident with being placed at the place I interviewed yesterday, so I need to apply to as many places as possible.
Ooh ok so this thing is slightly more costly than I would have liked!
I'm flying out from Dublin tomorrow night and staying in Liverpool on Wed night because I couldnt get any flights to get me into Runcorn for 9am, dammit, and flying back again. Whoooooops. There goes my kitty for summer travelling :frown:

I don't think i'll even like the place, but I'm really trying to keep an open mind, y'know. Jeeebus. Happy Pancakes people!
What do I wear to the assessment centre ... a suit?
Reply 88
You can always apply and, if you get the offer, decide whether you want to relocate to worcestershire for a year. If you don't apply then you'll never know whether you'd get the offer or not.

Incidentally I just came back from a gap year careers event at a posh public school. I had my own YINI stall but little did I know that I was competing against other projects like Ski Instructor, volunteering abroad and Deloittes Scholars' scheme. But I think I definitely managed to pull a few clients - too bad I'm not getting commission for every student I get on YINI. :frown:
Reply 89
Candy_Shop
What do I wear to the assessment centre ... a suit?

Preferably. That's what I and all the other students I met on the day wore. You cannot go wrong with a suit, unless, of course, it's an extremely flamboyant extravagant colour like pink or something.
Reply 90
Is YINI a government organization or a private sector company?
its run by the engineering development trust, not associated with the government as far as i am aware (not really much information was given to me when i went through the application process)
Reply 92
I got it!

I had my interview Friday and they said they weren't interviewing anyone else 'till next month and couldn't give me any sort of time scale for a reply, but would write to me when they had a better idea of how long it could take. Today I got a letter offering me a job, for the first position I applied for! I need to write back accepting, but that should all go smoothly. I'm thrilled! ! !

:biggrin:
so what exactly is it you're going to be doing,who for and where?

Congratulations by the way! That seems like an exceptionally quick process, especially when the Yorkshire coordinater is still finding out which companies with current placements are interested in having another next year
Reply 94
InPictureLoansWeTrust
so what exactly is it you're going to be doing,who for and where?

Congratulations by the way! That seems like an exceptionally quick process, especially when the Yorkshire coordinater is still finding out which companies with current placements are interested in having another next year

I am going to be working for these people, a software development/IT consultancy company in Durham. I'm not really sure what I'll be doing yet, except that it will probably be to do with developing software for use by the company themselves, rather than for clients.
looks good, is there anybody there at the moment
Reply 96
InPictureLoansWeTrust
looks good, is there anybody there at the moment

yeah, they've taken on YINI students for a while now. Some of the ex-YINI students who have finished their degrees work for them now.

Also, there might take on an undergraduate student from 2nd or 3rd year also (not through YINI) next year.
sounds like it can give some rather handy prospects
Reply 98
Howard
Is YINI a government organization or a private sector company?

It's a charity, funded by companies (and us, well, partially!). So, yes, it's essentially private sector.

Congrats Katwin. :smile:
So this isn't the one you had an interview for on Monday?
I hope I have some luck and get some interviews. I'm not expecting to hear anything for at least a month or two though.

Quick Reply

Latest