The Student Room Group

Where does the limitation in a friendship between a female and male lie?

What do you guys think? I know a lotta people say that a man and a woman can be friends like they can be with their same gender friends but what are the difference in their limitations? Like can a girl text a boy every single day like she does to her girlfriends and still have her boyfriend or even her other friends think that the relationship with the boy friend normal and nothing more...? Plus do you think that feelings may start off from friendships and further as time goes in these types of situations? I'm just curious as to what others think.
It depends. Some guys you can just stay friends with( the betas) but I've always found that it's been almost impossible to just be friends with an alpha male because they want to involve sex sooner or later into the mix or are extra flirtatious,hence why I keep my distance to avoid ruining our friendship
Original post by queen-bee
It depends. Some guys you can just stay friends with( the betas) but I've always found that it's been almost impossible to just be friends with an alpha male because they want to involve sex sooner or later into the mix or are extra flirtatious,hence why I keep my distance to avoid ruining our friendship

But do you think that friend zoning these alpha males will keep your friendship alive? What if they initially started off being friends with you to get closer to you...
Original post by CrystalMath101
But do you think that friend zoning these alpha males will keep your friendship alive? What if they initially started off being friends with you to get closer to you...

You can't really friendzone an alpha male who's in high demand because then he just ups and leave.

Yeah but then you kind of have to distance yourself when you know things are getting a little complicated
Reply 4
The limitations are annoying. I have a female friend that I work with and we get on great. We are very similar people in the way we think, the things we like, sense of humour, etc. She has a boyfriend who she's been with for about five years. We text each other quite a lot as we tend to tell each other most things. Her boyfriend knows about it, he's fine with it, although I could understand why some guys wouldn't be. Just for the record though, I don't have any romantic feelings for her, she's not bad looking by any means but she's just not my 'type'. Now the limitations to our friendship our obvious. For example, we cant go out together as just the two of us, for a drink, lunch or whatever because it'd be 'weird' as it just not socially acceptable. However, if there's a third person, it becomes completely fine.
Original post by Wyrley
The limitations are annoying. I have a female friend that I work with and we get on great. We are very similar people in the way we think, the things we like, sense of humour, etc. She has a boyfriend who she's been with for about five years. We text each other quite a lot as we tend to tell each other most things. Her boyfriend knows about it, he's fine with it, although I could understand why some guys wouldn't be. Just for the record though, I don't have any romantic feelings for her, she's not bad looking by any means but she's just not my 'type'. Now the limitations to our friendship our obvious. For example, we cant go out together as just the two of us, for a drink, lunch or whatever because it'd be 'weird' as it just not socially acceptable. However, if there's a third person, it becomes completely fine.

Hmm I see your point there, that's sadly true, that sometimes people's prejudices come before the actual facts.
I don't think there are any limitations.
Original post by HuggleyDuck
I don't think there are any limitations.

Why and how?
Reply 8
At least for guys, I think, sex is the natural extension of a great friendship. Unless your otherwise committed, why wouldn't you?
Reply 9
There shouldn't be any limitations, but socially lots of things are seen as "unacceptable" if you're not dating. I don't understand why people want to try and segregate the sexes. But then, I might see this differently because I'm bisexual and involved in the LGBTQ+ community, so I tend not to assume people are straight all the time - like I'll see a guy and a girl together and I won't assume they're "together". It really annoys me when people do though, I have a ton of guy friends and it makes me uncomfortable knowing that people look at me and *insert male friend here* when we're hanging out and assume we're dating, or that there's something going on between us. I've even had people raise their eyebrows at me for going over to a guy friend in the common room to chat for a minute or so... It really sucks...
Original post by Zarek
At least for guys, I think, sex is the natural extension of a great friendship. Unless your otherwise committed, why wouldn't you?

that's no longer just being friends...it's called being friends with benefits plus sometimes complications come about because of it. Like one of them could get more into it than the other and start to try to take the relationship further than wanted etc
Original post by Bethius
There shouldn't be any limitations, but socially lots of things are seen as "unacceptable" if you're not dating. I don't understand why people want to try and segregate the sexes. But then, I might see this differently because I'm bisexual and involved in the LGBTQ+ community, so I tend not to assume people are straight all the time - like I'll see a guy and a girl together and I won't assume they're "together". It really annoys me when people do though, I have a ton of guy friends and it makes me uncomfortable knowing that people look at me and *insert male friend here* when we're hanging out and assume we're dating, or that there's something going on between us. I've even had people raise their eyebrows at me for going over to a guy friend in the common room to chat for a minute or so... It really sucks...

That is soo true!! I think it's because of the vast heterosexual mind set our community is atm, I think it may change overtime tho
Reply 12
Original post by CrystalMath101
that's no longer just being friends...it's called being friends with benefits plus sometimes complications come about because of it. Like one of them could get more into it than the other and start to try to take the relationship further than wanted etc
You're right but the intimacy of sex is very friendly in my view.
Original post by Zarek
You're right but the intimacy of sex is very friendly in my view.

Can you apply this to any friend of yours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending