The Student Room Group

Should I do this EPQ?!

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of doing the EPQ. The topic I chose was "nanotechnology in medicine", I decided on this topic a few months back when I was thinking of studying chemistry/biology at uni.

However recently I have decided I want to do law (this is for definite now lol). I asked and I'm not allowed to change my EPQ... I don't know if it's worth it for me to continue, since it's unrelated to law, or should I just concentrate on other things which will boost my application, such as outside reading etc.

Anyone have any opinions/personal experiences? Thank you so much!! :smile::biggrin:

(P.S I'm aiming to go to a russell group uni hopefully)
Reply 1
Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would drop the EPQ and concentrate on doing some outside reading and other related activities in order to boost your application and personal statement. You could argue that continuing it would show a good variety and range of skills and knowledge, but it's a lot of work to do just to show that a student has other interests outside of law, so, overall I wouldn't continue it. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tia-mariaa
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of doing the EPQ. The topic I chose was "nanotechnology in medicine", I decided on this topic a few months back when I was thinking of studying chemistry/biology at uni.

However recently I have decided I want to do law (this is for definite now lol). I asked and I'm not allowed to change my EPQ... I don't know if it's worth it for me to continue, since it's unrelated to law, or should I just concentrate on other things which will boost my application, such as outside reading etc.

Anyone have any opinions/personal experiences? Thank you so much!! :smile::biggrin:

(P.S I'm aiming to go to a russell group uni hopefully)

I think you should carry on with the EPQ as it isn't just about the topic but the skills you learn from doing it that are important. Wait until results day and see if it is worth it as your results are the main priority. However, it could be the difference of getting an offer or not so keep that in mind. Why can't you change BTW?
Reply 3
I really think you should be able to change - given how limited the time you've invested is. I changed after developing an idea enough that I realised I didn't know enough to be able to do it justice.
But if you can't, I would spend the time doing outside reading, show an interest in your subject, particularly given if you made your mind up quite recently you won't have a massive amount.
Reply 4
Original post by RKA28
Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would drop the EPQ and concentrate on doing some outside reading and other related activities in order to boost your application and personal statement. You could argue that continuing it would show a good variety and range of skills and knowledge, but it's a lot of work to do just to show that a student has other interests outside of law, so, overall I wouldn't continue it. Hope this helps! :smile:

Yeah I think you're right tbh it is a lot of work and I think usually universities prefer to see an interest in the subject itself, it might look a bit weird doing a whole EPQ on something else.Thanks a lot for your help!! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by iodo345
I think you should carry on with the EPQ as it isn't just about the topic but the skills you learn from doing it that are important. Wait until results day and see if it is worth it as your results are the main priority. However, it could be the difference of getting an offer or not so keep that in mind. Why can't you change BTW?

I think my As results will really determine if i continue or not, if they aren't as good as I need it might be better for me to focus on revising... Its mainly to do with that we are submitting them in around Oct/Nov so there isn't that much time left (I don't know if that's the same for other schools or not) and if I change it they will have to find me a new mentor and stuff. Idk it's kinda annoying :/
Reply 6
Original post by chloeap
I really think you should be able to change - given how limited the time you've invested is. I changed after developing an idea enough that I realised I didn't know enough to be able to do it justice.
But if you can't, I would spend the time doing outside reading, show an interest in your subject, particularly given if you made your mind up quite recently you won't have a massive amount.

Yeah you're right I decided recently and I think I really need to devote this summer to showing an interest in my subject. Thanks for your help!!
I also think you should be able to change it. If definitely not, however, then I think you should continue with the EPQ considering the competitiveness of Law. Most applicants have competitive personal statements and an EPQ is something quite able to enhance this and is also useful in the event of an interview.

My advice would be to consider the possibility of an alteration in the project to make 'nanotechnology in medicine' compatible with a legal area. For instance, relate it to medical ethics and then legality/applicable legal principles in relation. This may seem obscure but Cambridge Law did an essay competition on the topic of whether people should be able to sell their organs; a topic encompassing ethics and obviously a large amount of law.

If done correctly this may actually enhance your personal statement and thus prospects upon application as instead of a general run of the mill topic which may make your interest appear superficial and seems just like everyone else's, you will have picked a topic that really stands out showing a genuine interest and wider ability. As someone above mentioned, broader reading is indeed very important but if the EPQ was done as described you would not be skirting the extra reading but adding to it. I'm unsure of the content of an LLB but you could check and relate it further specifically to an area included. Furthermore, since you picked that topic initially it's likely you have an interest in that area and can enjoy and make the most of the project.
Reply 8
Original post by Onlyme123B
I also think you should be able to change it. If definitely not, however, then I think you should continue with the EPQ considering the competitiveness of Law. Most applicants have competitive personal statements and an EPQ is something quite able to enhance this and is also useful in the event of an interview.

My advice would be to consider the possibility of an alteration in the project to make 'nanotechnology in medicine' compatible with a legal area. For instance, relate it to medical ethics and then legality/applicable legal principles in relation. This may seem obscure but Cambridge Law did an essay competition on the topic of whether people should be able to sell their organs; a topic encompassing ethics and obviously a large amount of law.

If done correctly this may actually enhance your personal statement and thus prospects upon application as instead of a general run of the mill topic which may make your interest appear superficial and seems just like everyone else's, you will have picked a topic that really stands out showing a genuine interest and wider ability. As someone above mentioned, broader reading is indeed very important but if the EPQ was done as described you would not be skirting the extra reading but adding to it. I'm unsure of the content of an LLB but you could check and relate it further specifically to an area included. Furthermore, since you picked that topic initially it's likely you have an interest in that area and can enjoy and make the most of the project.

Hmm yeah that is a very valid point actually! I think I might try and do that, it would be quite a unique way of doing things too. Thanks a lot for your help!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending