The Student Room Group

Unsure on employment?

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'm just generally looking for some advice. Around 3 years ago, I tried to get an apprenticeship and whilst only went to around 4 interviews for the most part, none of them really interested me and I ended up deciding on going to university.

I ended up doing two years at university, passing 6 modules in total (was foundation degree) and I now have a qualification of some sort, making me unable to do an apprenticeship.

So I have a half-arsed degree, with no other alternative than to find a full time job, which is really hard as most sectors require either a full degree or they are offering an apprenticeship type which I am unable to apply for.

Does anyone have any alternatives I can take where I can learn and earn money together without my stupid degree getting in the way?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
A degree shouldn't stop you from being able to do an apprenticeship if you wanted to do one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

99.9% of apprenticeships are level 3 qualification and a degree is level 4, meaning that you can't get the funding or something I was told. So basically every apprenticeship I've applied for, have told me this.
Original post by J-SP
Funding hasn't worked like that previously. Sure, there would be little point putting someone through a qualification in the same subject, but I recruited apprentices with degrees who were basically retraining to start a new career and there were no issues with their funding whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the OP's defence I have seen quite a few apprenticeships state 'Not for graduates' like the Civil Service one, here https://www5.i-grasp.com/fe/apprenticeships.asp?newms=info5#Eligibility - it states 'not have a degree' and I've seen that elsewhere too.
Original post by Port
Hi Guys,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'm just generally looking for some advice. Around 3 years ago, I tried to get an apprenticeship and whilst only went to around 4 interviews for the most part, none of them really interested me and I ended up deciding on going to university.

I ended up doing two years at university, passing 6 modules in total (was foundation degree) and I now have a qualification of some sort, making me unable to do an apprenticeship.

So I have a half-arsed degree, with no other alternative than to find a full time job, which is really hard as most sectors require either a full degree or they are offering an apprenticeship type which I am unable to apply for.

Does anyone have any alternatives I can take where I can learn and earn money together without my stupid degree getting in the way?

Thanks

Honestly I think your best bet is to just stick it out at uni for another year and top up your degree. Even if you don't want to work in that area, you can use your degree for a job in any sector with some work experience.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
In the OP's defence I have seen quite a few apprenticeships state 'Not for graduates' like the Civil Service one, here https://www5.i-grasp.com/fe/apprenticeships.asp?newms=info5#Eligibility - it states 'not have a degree' and I've seen that elsewhere too.

Original post by J-SP
Funding hasn't worked like that previously. Sure, there would be little point putting someone through a qualification in the same subject, but I recruited apprentices with degrees who were basically retraining to start a new career and there were no issues with their funding whatsoever.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jelly1000
Honestly I think your best bet is to just stick it out at uni for another year and top up your degree. Even if you don't want to work in that area, you can use your degree for a job in any sector with some work experience.

Thanks for the replies! Here is a quote from a apprenticeship advertisement that I was going to apply for.

Individuals who already have a Level 4 qualification are now eligible for a Level 5 or above Higher Apprenticeship only. They are not eligible for funding for an Intermediate Level, Advanced Level or Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship
If you hold a degree level qualification in most cases this will make you ineligible for apprenticeship funding and your application will not be successful. If you do not list ALL qualifications you currently hold (or are waiting results for) Creative Pioneers cannot be held responsible for giving correct advice with regard to your eligibility for training and funding.

I am really unsure on what to really do, as I don't want to settle for a basic job as I know I am much more capable, although the gateway into jobs in most fields are either with a full degree or apprenticeship scheme.

I really believe that going back to university would be such a waste of an extra year, as I wouldnt really benefit much from passing in my opinion!
You can always go back to university and do an undergraduate degree - this will put you on the same playing field as everyone else. And a foundation is good preparation for that. Alternatively you can do freelance work (in design/coding/writing/translating etc.) on websites like this: http://www.talentcupboard.com/student-graduate
Original post by Port
Thanks for the replies! Here is a quote from a apprenticeship advertisement that I was going to apply for.
Individuals who already have a Level 4 qualification are now eligible for a Level 5 or above Higher Apprenticeship only. They are not eligible for funding for an Intermediate Level, Advanced Level or Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship
If you hold a degree level qualification in most cases this will make you ineligible for apprenticeship funding and your application will not be successful. If you do not list ALL qualifications you currently hold (or are waiting results for) Creative Pioneers cannot be held responsible for giving correct advice with regard to your eligibility for training and funding.
I am really unsure on what to really do, as I don't want to settle for a basic job as I know I am much more capable, although the gateway into jobs in most fields are either with a full degree or apprenticeship scheme.
I really believe that going back to university would be such a waste of an extra year, as I wouldnt really benefit much from passing in my opinion!

But as you said most jobs want a full degree or an apprenticeship so it would open up more job opportunities to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending