The Student Room Group

Personal statement trouble - law or finance?

I would like to study Law or Finance but in a personal statement you write about your chosen subject. Is it possible to write about both?
Original post by Vizionz
I would like to study Law or Finance but in a personal statement you write about your chosen subject. Is it possible to write about both?

A PS needs to be focussed on the subject that you want to study. If you try and write a PS about two subjects, then you will make yourself look confused an indecisive, especially as law and finance are such different subjects. That will not make you an attractive student to any admissions tutor who is considering you for a competitive course.

You're going to have to choose between the two subjects sooner or later, so you may as well do so now, and submit the best application you can.
Yeah, two subjects in a PS only work when the subjects are similar or subjects that you can connect somehow, like for example someone who wants to do languages and business - those are entirely different subjects but if you talk about wanting to work in a multinational company and use your language skills as an international businessman etc than it works a PS. Are you actually applying to a course that is Law with finance on the side? If not, I think there are some out there where you can do both, but otherwise you would get rejected from a pure Law degree if you wrote about anything other than Law in your PS because it is so competitive.
Reply 3
Original post by Vizionz

If you want to study one or the other then it seems you don't actually know what you want. A university will pick up on this and wonder 'why should we offer a place to someone who clearly is stuck between two courses?'

Do a bit of soul searching and exploring and see which one you would like best. I'm a law student so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
There might be a uni which offers the two together!!! look it up
The deadline to apply isn't for 6 months yet!

Write a PS for each of them - expressing what you like and enjoy about each will help you focus your mind. You'll probably find one PS a lot easier to write than the other....that's the subject to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending