The Student Room Group
Original post by Zuki
I'm trying to decide between the two roles but I'm having trouble. Can anyone give any insight?

I'm just coming to the end of my phase 2 training for AMM. In the short term, there's no real difference. You get qualified in both which allows you to complete basic mechanical AND avionic maintenance and servicing tasks once you get to your first unit. It's only when you go back to Cosford after 18 months - 2 years that you get trained in your chosen trade as a technician, as oppose to a mechanic.

This is the only first hand info I can give, but I've heard plenty of stories and have a fair amount of info that I've gained from talking to instructors while undertaking training. If you wish to know anything else then I'd be happy to help as much as I can!
Reply 2
Original post by ryan9900
I'm just coming to the end of my phase 2 training for AMM. In the short term, there's no real difference. You get qualified in both which allows you to complete basic mechanical AND avionic maintenance and servicing tasks once you get to your first unit. It's only when you go back to Cosford after 18 months - 2 years that you get trained in your chosen trade as a technician, as oppose to a mechanic.

This is the only first hand info I can give, but I've heard plenty of stories and have a fair amount of info that I've gained from talking to instructors while undertaking training. If you wish to know anything else then I'd be happy to help as much as I can!

Thanks for the reply! How are you finding the experience/ lifestyle so far?
Original post by Zuki
Thanks for the reply! How are you finding the experience/ lifestyle so far?

It's been good overall. I'm definitely ready to leave Cosford now though and get onto my first Squadron. I can't complain at all though. The training environment is very good and most of the instructors are great. There are lots of exams which seem stressful at the time but they really aren't that bad at all.

The lifestyle is good also. There's plenty on offer and even during phase 2 training at Cosford, there's no end of clubs to join and things to get involved in. I started a scuba diving course but unfortunately, I was unable to complete it. Chances are if you're interested in doing something, you'll be able to do it there.
Reply 4
I worked for 7 days with 28 squadron at Benson doing mechanical stuff, only got a peak at the avionics. They were brilliant! The officer in charge seemed pretty bored out of his skull, but the technicians really were good fun and amazing at their job. They let me rivet part of the fuselage on a Merlin. I also met a private contractor who was making these wires to put on the bolts of the Merlin as some kind of anti-vibration device. Apparently the vibrations from the rotors can cause the bolts to unscrew.

I went onto study Avionics at university and absolutely hated it. Incredibly boring.

So based on this, I'd say Mechanical!
Reply 5
HI guys

I've been an aircraft avionics mechanic for the past 20 years, the first 9 in the RAF. Since then I've been a contractor on a variety of rotary and fixed wing platforms, both civilian and military. Hopefully I can give a little advice, in a few short sentences, and help you decide. (Point to note, I've no experience of the AMM thing the RAF do now, they were FMLs in my day!)

Generally the trades are known as light or heavy, light being avionics, heavy being mechanical. There is a reason for this. :-) Avionics guys will deal with electronics and electrics, communication systems, navigation systems etc etc. If logic gates and wave guide theory are your thing, this is the trade for you. Some may also say uckers also features highly on the curriculum, I couldn't possibly comment ;-)

Mechanical guys will deal with engines, airframe, hydraulics etc. Dirty, greasy, oily creatures, they'll be the ones using AVTUR as aftershave, and some have even evolved to stand upright and communicate using a primitive form of speech. Often over worked, and under appreciated, they move in herds of 6 or more.

After you've finished with your RAF time, you may decide to continue into civvy street, and go for the big bucks as a contractor. You'll be required to purchase your own tools. It's easy to spot avionics contractors as we carry around our tools in a small handbag, whilst mechanics generally lug around a huge snap-on tool chest, full to the brim with every tool imaginable, and in debt for the rest of their lives to pay for this. Also worth noting, Avionics often earn a couple of quid an hour more. (This has become less common in recent times however).

Either way, you'll enjoy your time in the RAF as an aircraft techie. All other trades will look on you as gods. At the end of the day, the RAF is about aircraft, not shiny arses ;-) And your training will stand you in good stead for many years to come.

I'm going back to uni to study something completely different, but will still subsidise my studies with contract work.

Good luck in your future careers. Per Ardua Ad Astra.
Reply 6
Original post by ellieg0637
If you chose avionics at first and after the 2 years at cosford want to do mechanics can you?

Not anymore, they’ve changed the way technicians are trained now, both avionics and mech’s do about 16 months at phase 2 and leave as technicians in their trade
Thank you. I’m still trying to decide :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you. I’m still trying to decide :smile:

If you’ve got any questions about the trade give me a message, happy to help out, I remember it was quite hard to find in-depth info about the trade and training
Thank you! How did you find Halton?
Thank you! How did you find Halton?

I enjoyed it, wasn’t a day there were I wasn’t laughing hysterically at something, made a lot of good mates there. I know it’s a cliche but you just have to play the game and do as your told, the instructors are there to help you and will help a lot if you put the effort in.
Wow sounds amazing thank you! I hope you have fun at your first squadron

Latest