The Student Room Group

5 years old - 20k mileage - only £4k - is there a problem?

Hi

After a bit of advice regarding buying my first car. Passed my test yesterday (yay!) and I've been looking around for a while and decided between two cars.

I've sourced a Kia Picanto 1.1 2009 with 37k mileage for £3400 and a Hyundai i10 1.2 2011 with 20k mileage for £4110. I'm tempted with the i10 as it's a bit bigger and the mileage is super low but being a brand new driver I don't know if there's a reason the mileage is so low for such a decent price? Most i10's I've seen with this kind of mileage have a price tag around £5k.

It says there's only 1 registered keeper so could this be because the car hasn't been used alot? Is this a bad thing? Also, if anyone could recommend if the Picanto or i10 would be a better choice for a first time driver?

Help! Any advice is welcome as I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing to be honest....
Its your first car. Buy a 600 quid clio or something.

Spending 4k on such a low quality awful car. Yuck!
Original post by kpizzle17
Hi

After a bit of advice regarding buying my first car. Passed my test yesterday (yay!) and I've been looking around for a while and decided between two cars.

I've sourced a Kia Picanto 1.1 2009 with 37k mileage for £3400 and a Hyundai i10 1.2 2011 with 20k mileage for £4110. I'm tempted with the i10 as it's a bit bigger and the mileage is super low but being a brand new driver I don't know if there's a reason the mileage is so low for such a decent price? Most i10's I've seen with this kind of mileage have a price tag around £5k.

It says there's only 1 registered keeper so could this be because the car hasn't been used alot? Is this a bad thing? Also, if anyone could recommend if the Picanto or i10 would be a better choice for a first time driver?

Help! Any advice is welcome as I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing to be honest....

That is about half the price of the regular Picanto. Don't buy that particular Picanto.
Reply 3
Original post by Sam Walters
Its your first car. Buy a 600 quid clio or something.

Spending 4k on such a low quality awful car. Yuck!

I'm 28 and want to use it for getting to and from work, not messing around in. I want something reliable that'll last years, I've got the money and have read nothing but great reviews about the i10 in particular. Exactly what is wrong with it?
I'm 28 and want to use it for getting to and from work, not messing around in. I want something reliable that'll last years, I've got the money and have read nothing but great reviews about the i10 in particular. Exactly what is wrong with it?

They are awful on fuel for one. Despite the reviews.

30-32mpg is what you can expect as an average.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Ibiza-1-9TDI-Sportrider-2008-08-/271938846725?hash=item3f50d18005

Now you could get something like that. It will last longer then either of the cars you suggested. If you want something reliable. Don't get a KIA or a Hyundai.

It has a better build quality and is overall a better car.

Oh and will do 45mpg average.
Reply 5
Original post by Sam Walters
They are awful on fuel for one. Despite the reviews.

30-32mpg is what you can expect as an average.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Ibiza-1-9TDI-Sportrider-2008-08-/271938846725?hash=item3f50d18005

Now you could get something like that. It will last longer then either of the cars you suggested. If you want something reliable. Don't get a KIA or a Hyundai.

It has a better build quality and is overall a better car.

Oh and will do 45mpg average.

Thank you, any other suggestions for something with a smaller engine? I really wanted sonething small with low road tax, hence my current choices! 1.9 is way too much for me
Thank you, any other suggestions for something with a smaller engine? I really wanted sonething small with low road tax, hence my current choices! 1.9 is way too much for me

There is small then there is shoebox like you seem to be after. Honestly they are hateful cars to live with.

The Ibiza is a small car. They do the 1.4TDI. That's 110 a year to tax.

Its more then the two cars you suggested by perhaps 90 pounds a year. But its 31 percent better on fuel.

Say you did 8,000 miles a year. An average of 33MPG in the cars you suggest. £1.16/L of petrol. £1265.46 per year.

Now if you did the same in the 1.4tdi at 48MPG. £1.19/L. £892.5

That's a difference of £372.96. £282.96 saving after the difference in tax.

You'll soon realise than anything 1.2 and below can become tedious, putting in an extra passenger and luggage slows you down a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get through the first year of driving without damaging the car, you've done well/been lucky - you've been taught to pass a driving test, now you're gonna get out there and face a bunch of stuff you've never dealt with, and statistically you're highly likely to be involved in some sort of incident in your first year whether it be with another driver or coming into contact with a stationary object. Something cheap and cheerful for your first year, hopefully get a year's NCB on board and then go for something nicer that you plan on keeping, that's the way.
Reply 9
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you get through the first year of driving without damaging the car, you've done well/been lucky - you've been taught to pass a driving test, now you're gonna get out there and face a bunch of stuff you've never dealt with, and statistically you're highly likely to be involved in some sort of incident in your first year whether it be with another driver or coming into contact with a stationary object. Something cheap and cheerful for your first year, hopefully get a year's NCB on board and then go for something nicer that you plan on keeping, that's the way.

I've got 4 friends I can think of off the top of my head that passed in the past 3 years and havent had any accidents, I'm aware passing a test doesn't mean i know how to drive properly as the real test is being out in the wide world! But i don't want to buy a super cheap car! Id like to be optimistic and enjoy a decent car. Thanks anyway
Reply 10
Hi

owner is likely to be old and may not want to drive any longer, also doesn't know true value or looking for a quick sale. how long is it mot'd and taxed for as well as if they are running low people may be looking for a quick sale to not pay out. how much would your insurance be, because i am seeing lots of people saying about getting bigger cars but the insurance for a first time driver would be astronomical. tbf both have good mileage for age as on average its about 10k a year. you should probably test drive them both and see how they feel to drive and do a quick insurance quote on them as well
Reply 11
Original post by Cowy97
owner is likely to be old and may not want to drive any longer, also doesn't know true value or looking for a quick sale. how long is it mot'd and taxed for as well as if they are running low people may be looking for a quick sale to not pay out. how much would your insurance be, because i am seeing lots of people saying about getting bigger cars but the insurance for a first time driver would be astronomical. tbf both have good mileage for age as on average its about 10k a year. you should probably test drive them both and see how they feel to drive and do a quick insurance quote on them as well

Both cars are from dealers, the Hyundai is from a franchised dealer. Both MOTd for a year and I've been quoted £710 for my first year of insurance for both. Going to test drive the Hyundai at the weekend and find out more about what appears to be a bargain!
Reply 12
Both cars are from dealers, the Hyundai is from a franchised dealer. Both MOTd for a year and I've been quoted £710 for my first year of insurance for both. Going to test drive the Hyundai at the weekend and find out more about what appears to be a bargain!

fair enough, they may have just been sitting around for a while then, and that insurance actually sounds quite good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending