The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

soon-to-be-freshers ask me your questions about what lifes like in Sheff Uni

I've just finished my undergrad (English Lit, though I have friends in Journalism, Geography and working full-time at the SU) at Sheffield and I'm doing an MA there starting this September. Any questions about accommodation, Ranmoor/Endcliffe/Opal?
The students union? Societies? Registration? Nightlife? Where to eat? Where you go when you're sick?
Just general worries? I was really anxious just before I came and sites like this and facebook were my lifeline trying to figure out what it was going to be like!
Two things I can say with certainty
1) freshers is crazyyyy and you will sign up for a hundred things just so you can get their free biros, placemats and goody bags. Also look out for the dominoes stall at freshers fair, free pizza.
2) you do not need everything your mother has packed for you

(: Amber
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiii :smile:
When would you suggest to apply for jobs in the area as I don't know my timetable/schedule for uni yet?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I think personally the best thing to do would be enjoy first couple weeks, register for your modules (you will be introduced to uni job website 'myvacancies' which has loads of bar/retail/admin work going) and then look into getting a job at the SU in one of eateries (theres tonnes) and my friends who work there say theyre really good because theyll be flexible when you have class/deadlines.
If you want to work in town (quite lot of shops have staff wanted signs atm) id still wait because they want immediate starts right now (all their old student staff have left and theyre desperate) and if your accom contract doesnt start for a while youre not gonna be able to work right away, if you do have accom right thissecond and you want to get a head start before you begin class then apply now and make it clear youre a full-time student (cant work 15hrs plus pw) and might have to take less shifts when class begins. Best of luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Where's the best campus I could either be at endcliff or the city campus what's the rep for those two places and which has best location....anything really to help me choose would be good! Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by maxormond
Hi Where's the best campus I could either be at endcliff or the city campus what's the rep for those two places and which has best location....anything really to help me choose would be good! Thanks!

Hey
I was on Ranmoor personally (Wimberry and then Windgather for any wondering!). Basically Endcliffe is the party accomodation, theres always house parties, noise and drama. All the blocks of flats surround the main hub, the 'Edge' which is where they hold different dance/yoga/health classes, theres a bar and canteen, sometimes clubbing events in the evening during freshers (it was a beach party theme in my first year).
Problem with Endcliffe is although majority of flats are really modern, up to date, there are a few older models which you might get if youre unlucky (my friends endcliffe flat we joked was like a doctors surgery with everything faintly green, small and cramped, the kitchen in particular was ridiculous).

The city campus (from what I hear, no first hand exp) is pretty similar to Ranmoor, newly furnished and modern, the odd party but generally more quiet. It also has the highest concentration of International students. Some of my closest friends (and later housemates) are International (from Hongkong, Signapore, Switzerland and Finland). But that is not the norm, the university has a serious problem with integration. You will find hardly an 'British/home students' at the city campus, because theres been a precedent set up that only Internationals go there! So the cycle continues. I think its a real shame that there's such a divide, and I would urge anyone whose torn between the 2 quieter accommodations ranmoor and city (thats if you prefer a night in watching a movie than a 1am taxi to Corp nightclub)... to choose city [the location is much better anyway] and learn about some different cultures or a new language (I now know some Cantonese and Mandarin).
Anyway, onto location. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are a mile or just over walk away from campus, in the beginning it took me 40 mins- by the end i could do it in 15/20. City is much closer to the main campus and obviously the station/city centre. However there are buses every 5 mins down to campus from Endcliffe (£1 with a student card) but they will be rammed full in winter.
Endcliffe has on an onsite shop (extremely over priced but good for emergency milk) otherwise theres a 10 min walk to a bunch of small shops. I honestly cant say about shops nearest City campus, but a quick google map search should tell you. Hope this helped.
Original post by amber_c_m
Hey
I was on Ranmoor personally (Wimberry and then Windgather for any wondering!). Basically Endcliffe is the party accomodation, theres always house parties, noise and drama. All the blocks of flats surround the main hub, the 'Edge' which is where they hold different dance/yoga/health classes, theres a bar and canteen, sometimes clubbing events in the evening during freshers (it was a beach party theme in my first year).
Problem with Endcliffe is although majority of flats are really modern, up to date, there are a few older models which you might get if youre unlucky (my friends endcliffe flat we joked was like a doctors surgery with everything faintly green, small and cramped, the kitchen in particular was ridiculous).

The city campus (from what I hear, no first hand exp) is pretty similar to Ranmoor, newly furnished and modern, the odd party but generally more quiet. It also has the highest concentration of International students. Some of my closest friends (and later housemates) are International (from Hongkong, Signapore, Switzerland and Finland). But that is not the norm, the university has a serious problem with integration. You will find hardly an 'British/home students' at the city campus, because theres been a precedent set up that only Internationals go there! So the cycle continues. I think its a real shame that there's such a divide, and I would urge anyone whose torn between the 2 quieter accommodations ranmoor and city (thats if you prefer a night in watching a movie than a 1am taxi to Corp nightclub)... to choose city [the location is much better anyway] and learn about some different cultures or a new language (I now know some Cantonese and Mandarin).
Anyway, onto location. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are a mile or just over walk away from campus, in the beginning it took me 40 mins- by the end i could do it in 15/20. City is much closer to the main campus and obviously the station/city centre. However there are buses every 5 mins down to campus from Endcliffe (£1 with a student card) but they will be rammed full in winter.
Endcliffe has on an onsite shop (extremely over priced but good for emergency milk) otherwise theres a 10 min walk to a bunch of small shops. I honestly cant say about shops nearest City campus, but a quick google map search should tell you. Hope this helped.

You mentioned the older and more modern flats, I don't suppose you happen to know which ones fall under which category?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by buxtonarmy
You mentioned the older and more modern flats, I don't suppose you happen to know which ones fall under which category?

Thanks

The older block was called "cresent flats", theres another block opposite thats similarly small but not sure of the name. So 2 out of 20/30? You have good odds, my friends just werent v fortunate (i have to add they still had a lovely first year but ...theres no comparison between their old block with no cupboard space, tiny fridge etc to the spacious new builds). Then again compared to the nightmare properties you see second year when you go house hunting its luxurious!
but all this aside, you wont be able to select which flat youre put in all you can do is wait for them to alot you a random block.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey, my flatmates have all gotten in contact with each other over facebook and are at that point where we are planning to buy tickets to freshers week. Are there any standout events we should definitely go to? Or any which we should totally avoid? Also the union offers a tickets for free entrance to ROAR on wednesdays if we buy a £75 pass for the year, is it worth it? Do many people go to ROAR on wednesdays?
Reply 8
Oh also would you happen to know how many rooms there are to a block in Derwent Endcliffe? Is it 10?
Reply 9
Original post by JakeDaw
Hey, my flatmates have all gotten in contact with each other over facebook and are at that point where we are planning to buy tickets to freshers week. Are there any standout events we should definitely go to? Or any which we should totally avoid? Also the union offers a tickets for free entrance to ROAR on wednesdays if we buy a £75 pass for the year, is it worth it? Do many people go to ROAR on wednesdays?

I'm going to be honest I went out less than a dozen times through the duration of my degree. To Corporation nightclub, a couple SU events (LGBT night is so much fun, good music too) and Itchy Feet (itchy feet used to be amazing got new management and went downhill, not sure how it is now).

I do remember ROAR being very popular so i'd definitely go to that if I were you....but maybe as an occasional thing rather than a years subscription? Because as term starts, it will be quieter, and I dont know anyone who went to every single ROAR event. As you explore the city centre youll branch out from SU events. Poptarts is very popular though. The freshers themed party they put on in the very first week is usually quite anticlimactic at The Ridge (thats Ranmoors main communal centre), but better at The Edge although most people might use it as a pitstop before going into town.
Don't worry about noone going out on a Wednesday, its Freshers...most people will be going out multiple times a week (THAT SAID, if someones reading this thats a nondrinker like moi theres a group called Lemonfresh the alternative events society who do non-acoholic events, also try having a look at GIAG give it a go events, I guarantee youll make likeminded friends).

Plus Wednesday is a kind of unofficial student night because of the swarms of people that go to the Wednesday event night at Corp (usually school uniform or some other fancy dress but you can go in whatever, there's various floors that play different kinds of music) and Fridays and Sats itll be packed.
West Night Live, Rev da Cuba and Leadmill (the only more indie club) are popular places to go in town.
Great Gatsby does really nice cocktails (£4 if you go before a certain time) and Bloo88s drinks are pretty nice.
I'm sure you know your limits but if anyones reading this, dont leave someone alone after they've been throwing up, don't lose each other on a night out, if your friend is really drunk don't let someone take them home. There have also been a lot of sexual assaults around Sheffield university campus, I had an email off my tutor in first year warning us that a man had been following girls home from West Street (thats the main row of pubs and bars). Don't walk home near parks, e.g. Endcliffe Park, girls have been attacked there. It is always better to share a taxi home or walk together in a group.

I realize I've spoken more about places in town to visit sorry but I'm afraid thats where most my knowledge lies.
On Derwent I really couldn't say, I was in a flat of 5 people in Ranmoor and so were most my friends.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow after your last post I'm a bit freaked out I thought Sheffield was a really safe place :s-smilie: isn't there like a night bus service that takes you to the accom from the centre for £1?? How does that work?
I wanted to ask about snowy days and whether that's problematic but it sounds a bit stupid now
Reply 11
Original post by marinanutshell
Wow after your last post I'm a bit freaked out I thought Sheffield was a really safe place :s-smilie: isn't there like a night bus service that takes you to the accom from the centre for £1?? How does that work?
I wanted to ask about snowy days and whether that's problematic but it sounds a bit stupid now

Basically Sheffield Universitys in a wealthy area, there's private schools and expensive properties...but it is still a city, I presume that the men who commit these kind of crimes know that there will be vulnerable students walking home at night [as those who have been arrested arent even from the area and are normally older].
I guess the university won't want to advertise this kind of thing for publicity's sake, but it happens around all major unis. I don't mean to scare you unnecessarily, I want to warn other girls not to take a risk with their safety. It's not worth it.
I come from a small agricultural town where I could easily walk home at night, I got a real shock coming here and you do just have to be more concious of your safety.I just want female students to look out for each other like me and my friends learnt to do. Like:
> texting to make sure you get home safe
> Offer to stay on the phone until they get to the door
>checking that they're comfortable leaving with someone they've just met in the club
>checking if hes being aggressive or pressuring them
>deciding if they're so intoxicated theyre not even in a position to make a decision

Yes! it's great you've heard about it. There is a womens minibus, I used it a couple times, you get it from directly outside the SU main entrance, you seem to think its available from the city centre though and thats not the case, you would have to walk back to the SU first or pay for a black cab straight from the club back to your flat:

Running 7 nights a week during term-time the Women's Minibus takes you from outside the Students' Union building, or Information Commons, directly to your door (max 2 miles from the Students' Union), for just £1.50.To use the bus

Before midnight you can buy a ticket from the Students' Union Box Office or the driver when he arrives (space permitting).

After midnight wait at the minibus stop outside the Students' Union entrance by the main doors and pay the driver when you board

The driver will pick you up and drop you off at your doorstep!

Your question on winter weather, invest in a good pair of wellies [or hiking boots, better grip when its icy] and waterproofs [these'll come in handy if you want to visit the Peak District anyway]. In my first year it snowed really heavily but the ice was the worst, walking down from Ranmoor/Endcliffe I'd see about 5 people slip over each morning lol. But like I said there's always regular buses down to campus, its just they'll be pretty full. A couple times in my first year there just wasn't room so i'd have to wait for the next one. I ended up just walking and enjoying it. Sometimes when its really bad roads out in the Peaks might get closed, transport will be slowed [my friends went out there once in the snow and struggled to get back, they hitchiked]. But tbh, it won't affect you, you'll be in the main city where they grit all the roads and transport carries on as usual. You might notice fewer people show up to lectures though ...lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe I can add a little?

Honestly I wouldn't bother getting tickets for anything during freshers week except maybe the thing the SU has on the first night, otherwise just play it by ear as you'll get to explore the city and bond a bit more, and the more popular events you'll end up going over the next few weeks anyway without having to pay a bunch for tickets or get them in advance. I wouldn't get the ROAR pass, if you're really into sports then it might be worth it in second year but I'd wait and see (ROAR is usually seen as the night out for sports societies, most others will go out to Corp on Wednesday).

I want to say it's 8-10 in Derwent flats.

To edit amber's advice, I'd say avoid West Street Live where you can, it's more of a last ditch effort for when you can't get in anywhere else, or just can't be bothered to walk there. Revs da Cuba, Great Gatsby and Bloo88 are more the kind of places you'd stop off at during a bar crawl as they're all quite expensive and far away from the student areas, with the exception of City but most people from there will go to the Cavendish or Wetherspoons, Endcliffe and Ranmoor students will go to the Edge, Fox and duck, Nottingham House, and everyone will go to Bar One and Interval.

The clubs which will be a safe bet on most nights are going to be Leadmill, Plug, Corp, DQ and the SU (although avoid fridays there), these won't necessarily be the best nights, especially as you'll go to these quite often, but they won't be bad. There are also places like Replica, Tank and Night Kitchen but look into those a bit more first, and I'm fairly sure I've forgotten a couple.

Sheffield is safe, for a major city with a large student population, but to be honest the advice Amber has given about travelling home in groups and staying with your drunk friends applies to any place you go. Taxi's are also dirt cheap here and absolutely everywhere so even if you end up alone as long as you're in a state where you can get in a cab you'll get home fine, and we have uber now so even if there aren't any taxis around and you're too drunk to call for one you should still be able to get a lift. I think the night bus is only from the SU, but I'm a guy so don't really know much about it. As far as I know there haven't been many sexual assaults of students around the villages in the two years I've been here, I can only think of one which happened in Endcliffe park and people were talking about that for days.

Snowy days are a bit annoying because of the hills, but we don't get that many and the university will usually help accommodate students, e.g. they'll be more lenient if you're late for a lab, or they sometimes cancel lectures. The only problem is that it can happen during exam time and some of the exam halls are quite far away, but a lot of people won't have exams then and again they'll accommodate for it if it'll be a problem.

Original post by JakeDaw

Original post by JakeDaw
Oh also would you happen to know how many rooms there are to a block in Derwent Endcliffe? Is it 10?

I'm going to be honest I went out less than a dozen times through the duration of my degree. To Corporation nightclub, Crystal (eh, average, once they had a guy welding something and making sparks fly over the dancefloor but i was just worried about my hair catching fire), a couple SU events (LGBT night is so much fun, good music too) and Itchy Feet (itchy feet used to be amazing got new management and went downhill, not sure how it is now).

I do remember ROAR being very popular so i'd definitely go to that if I were you....but maybe as an occasional thing rather than a years subscription? Because as term starts, it will be quieter, and I dont know anyone who went to every single ROAR event. As you explore the city centre youll branch out from Su events. Poptarts is very popular though. The freshers themed party they put on in the very first week is usually quite anticlimactic at The Ridge (thats Ranmoors main communal centre), but better at The Edge although most people might use it as a pitstop before going into town.
Don't worry about noone going out on a Wednesday, its Freshers...most people will be going out multiple times a week (THAT SAID, if someones reading this thats a nondrinker like moi theres a group called Lemonfresh the alternative events society who do non-acoholic events, also try having a look at GIAG give it a go events, I guarantee youll make likeminded friends).

Plus Wednesday is a kind of unofficial student night because of the swarms of people that go to the Wednesday event night at Corp (usually school uniform or some other fancy dress but you can go in whatever, there's various floors that play different kinds of music) and Fridays and Sats itll be packed.
West Night Live, Rev da Cuba and Leadmill (the only more indie club) are popular places to go in town.
Great Gatsby does really nice cocktails (£4 if you go before a certain time) and Bloo88s drinks are pretty nice.
I'm sure you know your limits but if anyones reading this, dont leave someone alone after they've been throwing up, don't lose each other on a night out, if your friend is really drunk don't let someone take them home (one of my housemates was unconcious from drinking and woke up to find a boy having sex with her...that was on the first night, the police were called). There have also been a lot of sexual assaults around Sheffield university campus, I had an email off my tutor in first year warning us that a man had been following girls home from West Street (thats the main row of pubs and bars). Don't walk home near parks, e.g. Ponderosa Park, Endcliffe Park, girls have been attacked and dragged into there. It is always better to share a taxi home or walk together in a group.

I realize I've spoken more about places in town to visit sorry but I'm afraid thats where most my knowledge lies.
On Derwent I really couldn't say, I was in a flat of 5 people in Ranmoor, and i honestly dont know anyone who was in a flat bigger than that even in Endcliffe..but the accom is vast.

Original post by marinanutshell
Bit of a lazy-person's question to ask, but does anyone know if there is a lift in Endcliffe flats? As I recently found out I am on the 4th floor and the thought of doing stairs doesn't fill me with delight lol
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95

Honestly I wouldn't bother getting tickets for anything during freshers week except maybe the thing the SU has on the first night, otherwise just play it by ear as you'll get to explore the city and bond a bit more, and the more popular events you'll end up going over the next few weeks anyway without having to pay a bunch for tickets or get them in advance. I wouldn't get the ROAR pass, if you're really into sports then it might be worth it in second year but I'd wait and see (ROAR is usually seen as the night out for sports societies, most others will go out to Corp on Wednesday).

I want to say it's 8-10 in Derwent flats.

To edit amber's advice, I'd say avoid West Street Live where you can, it's more of a last ditch effort for when you can't get in anywhere else, or just can't be bothered to walk there. Revs da Cuba, Great Gatsby and Bloo88 are more the kind of places you'd stop off at during a bar crawl as they're all quite expensive and far away from the student areas, with the exception of City but most people from there will go to the Cavendish or Wetherspoons, Endcliffe and Ranmoor students will go to the Edge, Fox and duck, Nottingham House, and everyone will go to Bar One and Interval.

The clubs which will be a safe bet on most nights are going to be Leadmill, Plug, Corp, DQ and the SU (although avoid fridays there), these won't necessarily be the best nights, especially as you'll go to these quite often, but they won't be bad. There are also places like Replica, Tank and Night Kitchen but look into those a bit more first, and I'm fairly sure I've forgotten a couple.

Sheffield is safe, for a major city with a large student population, but to be honest the advice Amber has given about travelling home in groups and staying with your drunk friends applies to any place you go. Taxi's are also dirt cheap here and absolutely everywhere so even if you end up alone as long as you're in a state where you can get in a cab you'll get home fine, and we have uber now so even if there aren't any taxis around and you're too drunk to call for one you should still be able to get a lift. I think the night bus is only from the SU, but I'm a guy so don't really know much about it. As far as I know there haven't been many sexual assaults of students around the villages in the two years I've been here, I can only think of one which happened in Endcliffe park and people were talking about that for days.

Snowy days are a bit annoying because of the hills, but we don't get that many and the university will usually help accommodate students, e.g. they'll be more lenient if you're late for a lab, or they sometimes cancel lectures. The only problem is that it can happen during exam time and some of the exam halls are quite far away, but a lot of people won't have exams then and again they'll accommodate for it if it'll be a problem.

Thats a good point about cancelled lectures and tutors being more lenient if youre late, youll just get a notification on your university email the morning of or day before. And I'd completely forgotten about Bar 1 and Interval, think you're much better equipped to answer that Q!
Want to add that if any other old-timers/second years can add to my advice please do, I'll try to answer to the best of my ability
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Katie Green
Bit of a lazy-person's question to ask, but does anyone know if there is a lift in Endcliffe flats? As I recently found out I am on the 4th floor and the thought of doing stairs doesn't fill me with delight lol

The majority of flats definitely have lifts , the only ones i knew that didnt had only 2 floors. They dont expect you to lug all your suitcases up 4 flights luckily though there will be attendants to help you move in (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95

Basically Sheffield Universitys in a wealthy area,

Thank you both for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 17
I've just been offered windgather despite my preference being endcliffe, just wondering will my social experience of university be damaged by this?
Reply 18
Original post by Lgb123
I've just been offered windgather despite my preference being endcliffe, just wondering will my social experience of university be damaged by this?

I was in windgather a few months (after i didnt get on with my first set of housemates) and it was quiet (kinder was known as the party block in ranmoor for some reason) but i definitely wouldnt say your social exp would be lessened, theres still people who like to party in ranmoor who (like you) first applied for Endcliffe so. If you were finding it quiet youll make friends on your course. Plus theres always GIAG (give it ago events) 100s of societies that youll meet people at and a lot of them have their own weekly pubcrawls etc theres also your course society (e.g. i joined Engsoc 'english society' we got tshirts with bookworms on which we had to write our names on then got taken on our first pub crawl) the SU makes a big effort with activities for students so youll never be short of opportunities dont worry. Plus when you have an exam coming up you might even be grateful for the quiet
Reply 19
Hi, just wondering about 2 things:

1) Are all buses £1 for students as long as you have your student ID? and what routes do the buses take? Like through student accommodation to the uni, does it go near the train station and the student union for example?

2) For freshers week, can other people join events as long they have a ticket? Or do you have to present a student ID of the uni of Sheffield to be able to go to events?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending