The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow

Got my driving test tomorrow and I am bricking it, I really do want to pass first time , does anyone have any tips for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Traww
Got my driving test tomorrow and I am bricking it, I really do want to pass first time , does anyone have any tips for me?

Adjust the central mirror so it's just off, so you have to move your head to see through it - shows examiner every time you look

Dress smart casual, otherwise impression will come across you're just another 'youth', reckless and irresponsible in trackies and a hoodie.

Shake instructors hand and say morning/afternoon - impressions count

Drive slow, double check everything you do.

If you can take the test in an instructors car - lots of reasons but mainly if the examiner gets in a marked car, it's safe, and you're a known quantity as no instructor would let someone take a test if they're not ready.

Don't try an take a gap (at lights), because the longer you stay still the less time you're driving. Also if you're at lights for a longish period of time put it into neutral, handbrake on and relax, also shows you're in control.

How do I know? From turning 17, passed both tests in 2 weeks..... Any more, just ask
Don't drink and drive :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by brimstone131
Adjust the central mirror so it's just off, so you have to move your head to see through it - shows examiner every time you look

Dress smart casual, otherwise impression will come across you're just another 'youth', reckless and irresponsible in trackies and a hoodie.

If you can take the test in an instructors car - lots of reasons but mainly if the examiner gets in a marked car, it's safe, and you're a known quantity as no instructor would let someone take a test if they're not ready.

Don't try an take a gap (at lights), because the longer you stay still the less time you're driving. Also if you're at lights for a longish period of time put it into neutral, handbrake on and relax, also shows you're in control.

How do I know? From turning 17, passed both tests in 2 weeks..... Any more, just ask

Thanks for your advice, but it does not really matter what you wear tbh... i am going to drive in what i feel conferable in , trackies and a top and trainers.
Main thing to remember is that you shouldn't overthink things but shouldn't be overconfident either. Just drive as you normally do, as if it's your instructor sitting next to you. Just give it your all and whatever happens happens.
Original post by Traww

Almost crash on the drive to the test center then you will be expecting to fail so bad the pressure kind of goes.

That's what happened to me anyway.
Reply 6
Just remain calm, and do everything you've been taught to do. Also look online and see what kind of errors you cannot afford to make, for example lane positioning, undue hesitance and all sorts of other things can result in an instant failure.
Reply 7

I had 2 driving tests. Second one passed. Both times I had two older blokes who stared out the window as if they weren't looking. Some instructors are really smart with it and know staring at you won't help.

I don't know where you got this dressing thing from. They are there to judge your driving, not the way you look. The instructor won't even be talking to you so what impression are you trying to make? I wore cargo's, a hoodie and vans.

What the hell are you talking about? They will ask for your name and that's it. You can try and talk to them during the drive but they will mostly ignore you and it could distract you from your drive. They are not there to judge you as a person, just the way you drive. Is it that hard to understand?

Driving slow is terrible advice as you get faults for this, even serious. You will only annoy the instructor by going slow. Get on with it and drive the speed you should be going.

On the driving test report they have areas where they can fault you for going slow.

- 18. Use of speed
- 20. Progress, Appropriate speed, undue hesitation

What does that mean? You turned 17 and then passed the theory test and practical test in 2 weeks? Waiting times don't exist in your world. You obviously lying and have never driven before.

This is why you shouldn't take advice from the internet, especially sites like this. You're on your own when you take that test. It's 30 minutes of focus, that's all.

The examiner wants to see you pass, believe it or not. I was so paranoid during my test that afterwards I thought I failed. I was telling the examiner I thought I failed because he told me to park over a bus stop and double yellow lines. He was like 'Why? I told you to do that'. And then on the manoeuvre I felt like I was too close to to the curb and failed.. And again he was like 'Why? Did you hit it? No so there you go!'. And one last example is I pulled up a little too far away from the curb and he told me to bring it in more.
Best of luck.

I can't offer any real insightful advice other than just drive. Don't try to be clever, don't overthink it, just drive the car :auto:
Isn't it amazing how you can get one really good answer and one that is just filled with drivel in the space of a few minutes.

Original post by ChampEon
Main thing to remember is that you shouldn't overthink things but shouldn't be overconfident either. Just drive as you normally do, as if it's your instructor sitting next to you. Just give it your all and whatever happens happens.

ChampEon - you are absolutely spot on. Just Drive. Deal with what you see in front of you. Prove to the examiner that you can drive and you'll be absolutely fine and safe on the roads when he passes you.

You really think the examiner doesn't know when you are checking your mirrors. The issue isn't just looking - it is seeing what's there and reacting accordingly. Not only will the examiner be able to watch you but will also know by your reaction that you have seen what's there.

Examiners are trained not be swayed by such trivial things as what you are wearing. They will have seen people who dress like maniacs and drive brilliantly and they will have seen people who dress brilliantly and drive like utter maniacs!

It's a much better idea to learn and understand the show me/tell me questions so that it shows that you are interested in safety...

... and fail for not making progress? If you can make progress do; if you can't, then don't. If it looks dodgy, then it IS dodgy, so treat it accordingly.

Oh I wish...

Except that the examiner is following a set test route so it doesn't matter how long it takes - they will complete the route. Anyway, what difference does time make? Being in control (or not) is totally obvious to the examiner - it is not dependent on what you do at traffic lights.

Congratulations on passing. Speaking from the point of view of lots of experience then........
I failed my first time due to nerves so made stupid mistakes. I'd say try to keep calm and focused. . However, I need to take my own advice as I have my 2nd test this Sunday and I'm shaking like a leaf already! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orka
I had 2 driving tests. Second one passed. Both times I had two older blokes who stared out the window as if they weren't looking. Some instructors are really smart with it and know staring at you won't help.

I don't know where you got this dressing thing from. They are there to judge your driving, not the way you look. The instructor won't even be talking to you so what impression are you trying to make? I wore cargo's, a hoodie and vans.

What the hell are you talking about? They will ask for your name and that's it. You can try and talk to them during the drive but they will mostly ignore you and it could distract you from your drive. They are not there to judge you as a person, just the way you drive. Is it that hard to understand?

Driving slow is terrible advice as you get faults for this, even serious. You will only annoy the instructor by going slow. Get on with it and drive the speed you should be going.

On the driving test report they have areas where they can fault you for going slow.

- 18. Use of speed
- 20. Progress, Appropriate speed, undue hesitation

What does that mean? You turned 17 and then passed the theory test and practical test in 2 weeks? Waiting times don't exist in your world. You obviously lying and have never driven before.

This is why you shouldn't take advice from the internet, especially sites like this. You're on your own when you take that test. It's 30 minutes of focus, that's all.

The examiner wants to see you pass, believe it or not. I was so paranoid during my test that afterwards I thought I failed. I was telling the examiner I thought I failed because he told me to park over a bus stop and double yellow lines. He was like 'Why? I told you to do that'. And then on the manoeuvre I felt like I was too close to to the curb and failed.. And again he was like 'Why? Did you hit it? No so there you go!'. And one last example is I pulled up a little too far away from the curb and he told me to bring it in more.

ok ok, you need to back the **** up...... Apologies, I mis-typed...... I turned 17, took my theory 3 days later and passed within a month of turning 17. I was just very lucky.... You need proof, mate, I'll ram it so far down your throat you'll need a proctologist to verify it.

Secondly, the point regarding the mirror - not only was it recommended by a friend, who is a driving examiner, but also in the Learner driver code 2014. Happy?

Thirdly, dressing well and shaking hand. you're right, it's not essential, but you cannot say it helps. I happen to be from a backgroud where first impressions matter, so kindness and manners go a long way from setting you apart from every other person, and can help you if it's borderline.

Fourthly, no f***in s**t, driving too slowly won't help. What I meant by that is drive carefully, in a relaxed manner, without taking any risks.... Obviously making good progress.

So actually, I was just offering 'advice'. Not rules to follow, you fool. I may not have much authority, but you certainly have no right to criticise my advice when you've a worse track record than me.

Also, of course an examiner would like to see you pass, but there is no possibility, even if everyone was perfect, that they would pass everyone. It's a business at the end of the day, £60 a go is pretty nice for them, added onto the fact the guidelines for test centers suggest between 60-75% pass rates.

So many thanks for your outburst, but it is not needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Traww

Use your mirrors for everything, and make sure you make it obvious you're using them, I was looking at my central literally every 4 seconds.
Other then that be calm, and think before you respond, also be prepared to stop by the side of the road a lot.
Good Luck
I passed first time. I 'got into the zone' lol. What I did was I imagined I was a taxi driver taking some one on a drive and they were just giving me directions. Gives you a sense of control.
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Isn't it amazing how you can get one really good answer and one that is just filled with drivel in the space of a few minutes.

ChampEon - you are absolutely spot on. Just Drive. Deal with what you see in front of you. Prove to the examiner that you can drive and you'll be absolutely fine and safe on the roads when he passes you.

You didn't need to take my 'drivel' as literally as you could ;/ I wouldn't mind but you're not perfect either.

See my response previously, but I think what the OP was looking for was a mixture, not just from a driving instructor such as yourself, but from the experience of someone who has passed, i don't know, this millenium?

reports I've heard about your school also leave a lot to be desired, darling.

So please, instead of ripping apart friendly advice, try to understand everyone thinks differently? This is merely what I found, your experiences, though plentiful, are varied
Reply 15
ok ok, you need to back the **** up...... Apologies, I mis-typed...... I turned 17, took my theory 3 days later and passed within a month of turning 17. I was just very lucky.... You need proof, mate, I'll ram it so far down your throat you'll need a proctologist to verify it.

Secondly, the point regarding the mirror - not only was it recommended by a friend, who is a driving examiner, but also in the Learner driver code 2014. Happy?

Thirdly, dressing well and shaking hand. you're right, it's not essential, but you cannot say it helps. I happen to be from a backgroud where first impressions matter, so kindness and manners go a long way from setting you apart from every other person, and can help you if it's borderline.

Fourthly, no f***in s**t, driving too slowly won't help. What I meant by that is drive carefully, in a relaxed manner, without taking any risks.... Obviously making good progress.

So actually, I was just offering 'advice'. Not rules to follow, you fool. I may not have much authority, but you certainly have no right to criticise my advice when you've a worse track record than me.

Also, of course an examiner would like to see you pass, but there is no possibility, even if everyone was perfect, that they would pass everyone. It's a business at the end of the day, £60 a go is pretty nice for them, added onto the fact the guidelines for test centers suggest between 60-75% pass rates.

So many thanks for your outburst, but it is not needed.

I can tell by your outburst and the bs you keep typing that you're an ignorant child. I don't even know what you're trying to prove here. Now all of a sudden you have a friend who is a driving examiner lol.

This is just really pathetic. You're an idiot. You're liar. You're a kid. Grow up. Just stop replying in this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by orka
I can tell by your outburst and the bs you keep typing that you're an ignorant child. I don't even know what you're trying to prove here. Now all of a sudden you have a friend who is a driving examiner lol.

This is just really pathetic. You're an idiot. You're liar. You're a kid. Grow up. Just stop replying in this thread.

haha all I was trying to prove was that my advice is as valid as anyone else's. Fine, you don't believe me.... Wow, I'm so hurt, really deeply affected, but at least one of us knows the truth. If it hurts you so much just ignore the thread, take some time off TSR and come back with a friendly, non-judgmental attitude- you should try it.... It helps.

This is a comment that you need to justify. What reports? From whom? And refrain from calling me 'darling'. Unnecessary and patronising.
Original post by Emma-Ashley
This is a comment that you need to justify. What reports? From whom? And refrain from calling me 'darling'. Unnecessary and patronising.

Then get off a 'student' forum.

2 friends in particular started learning to drive with yourself, and dropped out, instead learning, and passing easily with a different instructor. Also word of mouth around the area doesn't help your case.

You didn't need to take my 'drivel' as literally as you could ;/ I wouldn't mind but you're not perfect either.

See my response previously, but I think what the OP was looking for was a mixture, not just from a driving instructor such as yourself, but from the experience of someone who has passed, i don't know, this millenium?

So please, instead of ripping apart friendly advice, try to understand everyone thinks differently? This is merely what I found, your experiences, though plentiful, are varied

You also don't know when I passed so maybe you should keep that view to yourself as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending