The Student Room Group

I got an E in Biology!

I got an E in Biology, I got two As in my other subjects. This was for my AS results. I either have to sit two of my Biology modules or find an alternative. So, I am here to ask. Is it possible to do AS and A2 of another subject in one year or do 6 units of a BTEC in one year so it will make up an extra grade so I don't have to go back to Biology if I don't want to??
That sounds like my daughter last year. She really needed a science A-Level for her chosen course and was devastated with an E in Biology. She also got BBB in other subjects. She dropped Biology and one of the other Bs and did A-Level Applied science in one year (70% coursework and 8 hours of lessons a week) and she got a B today at A2. Total A*BB and a place at a russell group uni.

Try to go for a BTEC or Applied subject if you can, its heavy on the coursework but less/or no emphasis on exams.
I would do a Btec for one year alongside your two subjects from preventing yourself to fail again.
Reply 3
Original post by ViewOnlyMum
That sounds like my daughter last year. She really needed a science A-Level for her chosen course and was devastated with an E in Biology. She also got BBB in other subjects. She dropped Biology and one of the other Bs and did A-Level Applied science in one year (70% coursework and 8 hours of lessons a week) and she got a B today at A2. Total A*BB and a place at a russell group uni.

Try to go for a BTEC or Applied subject if you can, its heavy on the coursework but less/or no emphasis on exams.

With me, I don't need Biology for what I want to do. I want to do Law. I just did Biology because when I started my A-Levels I was unsure about what I wanted to do.

Original post by German123
I would do a Btec for one year alongside your two subjects from preventing yourself to fail again.

I'm just wondering if they offer BTEC that just counts for one subject instead of 2 or 3
Original post by laura.louu
With me, I don't need Biology for what I want to do. I want to do Law. I just did Biology because when I started my A-Levels I was unsure about what I wanted to do.

I'm just wondering if they offer BTEC that just counts for one subject instead of 2 or 3

Any Btec can be equivalent to one, two or three A levels, so it depends and you should check with the college or sixthform.
Reply 5
Original post by German123
Any Btec can be equivalent to one, two or three A levels, so it depends and you should check with the college or sixthform.

I will have to check with them... I'm moving sixth forms so I don't know how things operate over there
Original post by laura.louu

Yes they do, they are called BTEC Subsidiary Diplomas and they count for 1 A-Level. There are lots of different subjects such as Business, IT, Health and Social Care etc

Quick Reply

Latest