The Student Room Group

Massively regret turning a guy down- HELP!

Ok. So last week, a close male friend of mine asked me out, and I freaked out a little bit. I had a massive crush on this guy about 4 years ago, but we lost touch- until about a month ago. Since then we've been talking more and more, and my old feelings were starting to reignite, but when he asked me out I panicked and turned him down. I have a lot of anxiety issues and was in the middle of a particularly bad spell when it happened, which contributed heavily to my decision.

However, I'm now out of that anxiety spell, and I've realised that I messed up HUGELY. I do actually like him as more than a friend, and all of the worries I had before no longer matter- I want to give things a try.

How on earth do I go about telling him all this?! What if he's like "no, you had your chance"? We've spoken almost every day since it happened, but I just don't know how to bring it up, and I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Please help!
Original post by wholock95
Ok. So last week, a close male friend of mine asked me out, and I freaked out a little bit. I had a massive crush on this guy about 4 years ago, but we lost touch- until about a month ago. Since then we've been talking more and more, and my old feelings were starting to reignite, but when he asked me out I panicked and turned him down. I have a lot of anxiety issues and was in the middle of a particularly bad spell when it happened, which contributed heavily to my decision.

However, I'm now out of that anxiety spell, and I've realised that I messed up HUGELY. I do actually like him as more than a friend, and all of the worries I had before no longer matter- I want to give things a try.

How on earth do I go about telling him all this?! What if he's like "no, you had your chance"? We've spoken almost every day since it happened, but I just don't know how to bring it up, and I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Please help!

Say nothing, just kiss him when you're in close enough proximity.

Please help!

Go for it
Reply 3

Please help!

Anxiety relapse?

Remember: he actually wanted to ask you out! If he is not now with someone else, you should definitely ask him out. The chances of rejection are nominal, since you know he actually likes you already, and you have everything to gain.
Bring it up gently (i.e. "I've been meaning to say this for a while but remember when...") and then gradually tell him that you only turned him down because you had other things on your mind and it just wasn't the right time for you to think about a relationship. Let him know that you do have feelings for him and that, if he likes, you want to hook up. It only happened a week ago after all. The way I think of it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by annieprincess
Say nothing, just kiss him when you're in close enough proximity.

I would but I'm now 150 miles away for the next week so it may be a while before I can take that route.... :P
Reply 6
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Go for it

Thank you!! I think I will!!!
Reply 7
Original post by VannR
Anxiety relapse?

Remember: he actually wanted to ask you out! If he is not now with someone else, you should definitely ask him out. The chances of rejection are nominal, since you know he actually likes you already, and you have everything to gain.

Oh god yeah, you're right... That does very much sound like anxiety rearing its head... He's not with anyone else, and I doubt he will be any time soon... thanks so much for the advice!!
Reply 8
Original post by ChampEon
Bring it up gently (i.e. "I've been meaning to say this for a while but remember when...":wink: and then gradually tell him that you only turned him down because you had other things on your mind and it just wasn't the right time for you to think about a relationship. Let him know that you do have feelings for him and that, if he likes, you want to hook up. It only happened a week ago after all. The way I think of it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. :smile:

Sounds like a good plan to me!!! Thank you :smile:
Sounds like a good plan to me!!! Thank you :smile:

No prob, hope it works out
Oh god yeah, you're right... That does very much sound like anxiety rearing its head... He's not with anyone else, and I doubt he will be any time soon... thanks so much for the advice!!

Instead of dithering, ask him and just hope he says yes after last time.
Reply 11
Original post by Rock Fan
Instead of dithering, ask him and just hope he says yes after last time.

you're right- hopefully he will!
There's an old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You should convincingly apologize to him first, then you might be okay...might. On the other hand, he may retaliate. Be ready for both scenarios.
Original post by Geeserdude
There's an old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You should convincingly apologize to him first, then you might be okay...might. On the other hand, he may retaliate. Be ready for both scenarios.

You realise this thread is over 4 years old, right? They could easily be a happily married couple well on their way with 2 kids by now :bored:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending