The Student Room Group

Are contact lenses worth it

I've worn glasses for nearly all my life and now I think I might try contact lenses however I know I will look extremely different...maybe in a good way I don't know but I was wondering if they were worth all the hassle?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachy pieces
I've worn glasses for nearly all my life and now I think I might try contact lenses however I know I will look extremely different...maybe in a good way I don't know but I was wondering if they were worth all the hassle?

I have tried contact lenses three times and I just cannot deal with them. I find them cold and slimy in my eye and I just HATE the idea of having something in my eye. I just stick with glasses because they're so much easier and more comfortable for me personally - plus I love glasses, I think they're really stylish :smile:

Of course it's all personal preference. If you really want contacts more than anything, you'll probably learn to get used to them.
I wear glasses on and off and I just hate the idea of contacts, my eyes are quite sensitive and I don't think I'd be able to deal with wearing them at all. So I'll happily stick with glasses.
If I was going to ditch the glasses I'd rather just go for eye surgery, it's a more permanent solution and cheaper in the long term.
I mix depending on the occasion. I think it is worth getting the contact lens check so that you can buy some and have them in (I have disposables), as there are certain times I really like wearing them and not glasses, eg, nights out and weddings.

Glasses are becoming increasingly fashionable now. I got a new pair which are much more fashionable than what I've had in the past, so I've been wearing them a lot more.
I love my contact lenses. So much more freedom! I like being able to choose whether to wear lenses or not and shake up my look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've worn them for years. I don't really find them to be a hassle or anything, indeed glasses are more of a hassle for me now. I suppose it depends what each of us is used to.
Original post by lascelles
I love my contact lenses. So much more freedom! I like being able to choose whether to wear lenses or not and shake up my look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of lenses do you wear daily, monthlys? And yeah I agree it would be good to have the option
Thank you everyone! I think I'll go for an assessment and then go from there 😊
Original post by Airfairy
I mix depending on the occasion. I think it is worth getting the contact lens check so that you can buy some and have them in (I have disposables), as there are certain times I really like wearing them and not glasses, eg, nights out and weddings.

Glasses are becoming increasingly fashionable now. I got a new pair which are much more fashionable than what I've had in the past, so I've been wearing them a lot more.

Yeah I agree they are more fashionable than they use to be and I do like my glasses tbf, I think I might just change it up as I have worn them most of my life😊
I want to get them too because I play hockey and so many times I've been close to having them squished into my eye or sent flying across the pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Redmark
I wear glasses on and off and I just hate the idea of contacts, my eyes are quite sensitive and I don't think I'd be able to deal with wearing them at all. So I'll happily stick with glasses.

Yeah that's the thing, contacts don't bode well with everyone, I know most of my friends wear them and are always complaining about something or other😂 I know this might sound a bit vain but I partly want to try them out for a different look I suppose..
My friend was in hospital a few days before results day because her eye got infected by her lense and she didn't know how :lol:

risky business if you ask me :beard: but if you're confident you'll take good care of them and all, then go ahead...
Original post by Moonstruck16
I want to get them too because I play hockey and so many times I've been close to having them squished into my eye or sent flying across the pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just recently I got an elbow to my face when on the tube which was a very ow moment 😂 does anyone know how easily contacts fall out or is that very rare to actually lose them?
Original post by peachy pieces

I was thinking that as well having worn glasses for about 10 years nonstop but a year and a half ago, I switched to contact lenses and it was one of the best decisions of my life. No need to worry about losing your glasses going out and peripheral vision very natural.

When I first put them on, it felt like when we had the switch from old TVs to the HD TVs.

100% worth it.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
My friend was in hospital a few days before results day because her eye got infected by her lense and she didn't know how :lol:

risky business if you ask me :beard: but if you're confident you'll take good care of them and all, then go ahead...

Oh dear🙈 yeah I think getting use to them and the routine of cleaning them may be what I would find the most difficult
Reply 16
Just wait a few years for Laser eye surgery to become perfect. Technology is always advancing.
Original post by Butternuts96
I was thinking that as well having worn glasses for about 10 years nonstop but a year and a half ago, I switched to contact lenses and it was one of the best decisions of my life. No need to worry about losing your glasses going out and peripheral vision very natural.

When I first put them on, it felt like when we had the switch from old TVs to the HD TVs.

100% worth it.

Haha 😂 that's good to hear! Loving the TV analogy!
I can't imagine life wih being able to see clearly to the side. And being able to see in the blind spot of my glasses :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have prescription glasses and I personally love them, I think they look good on my face. Tried contacts twice and I hated them. Hated putting them on. Hated wearing them throughout the day. Hated taking them out. I got compliments but I kind of felt yucky? My mom got laser eye treatment because she didn't like either. Ask your opticians if you can try them next time you have an eye test and see if you like them? haha, they're not for everyone x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending