The Student Room Group

Average degree at good Uni or good degree at Ok Uni?

I'm just interested, which would be seen as most valuable:

Sociology at a RG Uni, or

Law at an OK Uni?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Law

(Assuming you qualify as a lawyer.)

I don't even know what you do with sociology degrees
Who cares choose the course that you will enjoy the most, you will do well where ever you will go as long as you are prepared to work hard. :smile:
What do you define as an OK uni?
Law unless the sociology degree is used for further study.
One day you might come to see that RG is not important - with a couple of exceptions the rest of the world doesn't care about it, so do whatever will give you the best prospects for your future career.

I bet very few people could name all RG unis off the top of their head anyway.
Reply 6
Look at the end game; what sort of careers you may want to go into.
Original post by Duncan2012

I bet very few people could name all RG unis off the top of their head anyway.

Anybody who can really needs to get a life and see the wider picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or just do the degree that you have a genuine interest in and passion for tbh
Reply 9
Original post by peachy pieces
Or just do the degree that you have a genuine interest in and passion for tbh

And then end up not being able to get a job and having 27k of debt which you can't pay back :smile:
Original post by legzgo9
And then end up not being able to get a job and having 27k of debt which you can't pay back :smile:

Who said you wouldn't get a job?😊 and you asked the question, if you made up your mind what was the point of the post 😊 always happy to help 😊
Original post by legzgo9

and therefore wouldn't need to pay back
Sociology at Oxbridge is better than law at Middlesex. Sociology at Durham (AAB) is probably weaker than law at Kent (AAA-AAB), in my opinion. There is no hard and fast rule here and you have to weigh up which universities we're talking about. Generally, I'd say law at OK uni is better than sociology at RG.
I'm not trying to undermine law degrees in any sense, but you must admit it's an extremely competitive industry, where people falsely believe they can graduate and earn big money straight away. I think I read somewhere along the line of 1% of law graduates entering high status roles? solicitors etc.

"In a country where we have in excess of 200,000 law graduates (1 in 300 of the population) many enter dead end jobs with no prospects of promotions" a comment which has been backed by the justice secretaries of the past 10 years

So it's probably worth noting (since we're discussing these 2 subjects specifically...) graduating in law by no means guarantees you a "decent job" with a good wage, which is clearly a priority of yours...
Original post by legzgo9

You're picking law and sociology. Sociology is...sociology and there are too many law graduates and the chances you're going to get a related, high paying job are close to zero.

If you must do a degree do one you enjoy at a uni that's the best for it.

Also, unless you're not getting a maintenance loan your debt is going to be waaaaay more than 27k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by SamuelSingleton
I'm not trying to undermine law degrees in any sense, but you must admit it's an extremely competitive industry, where people falsely believe they can graduate and earn big money straight away. I think I read somewhere along the line of 1% of law graduates entering high status roles? solicitors etc.

"In a country where we have in excess of 200,000 law graduates (1 in 300 of the population) many enter dead end jobs with no prospects of promotions" a comment which has been backed by the justice secretaries of the past 10 years

So it's probably worth noting (since we're discussing these 2 subjects specifically...) graduating in law by no means guarantees you a "decent job" with a good wage, which is clearly a priority of yours...

I think the reason why there are bad statistics for law graduates is because every university offers Law, even the really bad Unis, so of course those doing it at a bad Uni aren't going to get a good job. However if you are studying it at a reasonably good Uni, I think you will have good chances of getting a good paid job as a solicitor etc. I have asked universities that i've visited about Law and they say the graduate employment and starting salaries for their Law students is good, even at the universities which wern't top of the rankings
Theology at Oxford>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Law at Oxford Brookes
Sociology at LSE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Law at Westminster

Sociology at Liverpool (RG) or Law at Brunel? ...Not as much of a difference. Go with Law.

Make what you will of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by legzgo9
I think the reason why there are bad statistics for law graduates is because every university offers Law, even the really bad Unis, so of course those doing it at a bad Uni aren't going to get a good job. However if you are studying it at a reasonably good Uni, I think you will have good chances of getting a good paid job as a solicitor etc. I have asked universities that i've visited about Law and they say the graduate employment and starting salaries for their Law students is good, even at the universities which wern't top of the rankings

They're hardly going to say their graduate employment rates are awful, are they?

Check on the Internet before applying, I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody should ever pick the university before the subject.

That shows they have no real interest in the subject and have no idea what Job they are looking to do.

If you want to do law go the Ok uni, if you want to do sociology go the RG uni. Don't pick the university before the course
Reply 19
Realistically a degree like sociology* from Oxbridge would probably give you more opportunities than a good degree from a non-RG, but after you take Oxbridge out of the equation, the employability of those sort of degrees declines very fast. Even when it comes to other well-respected universities like Manchester/Durham/etc, you will struggle to ride the prestige train into a high paying job if you have a nonsense degree.

Even when you look at somewhere like LSE, which is one of the most prestigious places in the UK, the average Sociology starting salary is only £21k https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10004063FT-L301-UBSO2/ReturnTo/Search (compare to studying economics at LSE, which has a starting salary of £30k)

(* note that neither Oxford nor Cambridge offer sociology at undergraduate level, I'm just using it as a general example of a silly degree since thats what the OP used)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending