The Student Room Group

Advice on disciplinary action by university

Hope this is the right place to put this, its a bit of a strange one, my friend has got in trouble recently for basically tak. He was doing i(not TSR I'm happy to say) and admits he wasn't aware of the full consequences should he be caught.

He h. This was really just a case of him being stupid he has no histand has never been invol

Does anyone have an idea of how this is most likely to be treated

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Uni policies can vary, so there's no way we could offer anything other than a guess about what they'll do. They won't necessarily be guided by the final police action, as he was given a police caution and clearly did it. There's a standard concept in uni regs of "bringing the university into disrepute", which could (worst case scenario) result in the uni throwing him out. Most universities would want to be seen to be protecting female students against this kind of harrassment. Even if he gets off lightly in the immediate future, it will go onto his uni record and might affect future job references. Wouldn't want to be him right now, frankly.

He should consult his Student Union if he thinks he might need help, but he should prepare for them to not be particularly sympathetic.
Reply 2
He was told he would most likely get a call from them today which hasn't happened, there is an option in the regs for a student to be restricted access to facilities (such as the library) which could happen. Getting expelled would be terrible for him
Reply 3
Original post by matthew376
He was told he would most likely get a call from them today which hasn't happened, there is an option in the regs for a student to be restricted access to facilities (such as the library) which could happen. Getting expelled would be terrible for him

I'd like to say I feel sympathetic, but as a female student I wouldn't have wanted him as a colleague. Having underskirt photos supplied to total strangers would have been terrible for the women he harrassed. He doesn't seen to have thought about them at all.

Let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson - preferably the one about not being a creep.
I think the most likely option is they'll give him a warning and say if he gets caught doing anything like that again they'll restrict access. If it becomes seen as part of a bigger issue I think they'll try and give him a harsher punishment immediately though.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
I'd like to say I feel sympathetic, but as a female student I wouldn't have wanted him as a colleague. Having underskirt photos supplied to total strangers would have been terrible for the women he harrassed. He doesn't seen to have thought about them at all.

Let's hope he's learned a valuable lesson - preferably the one about not being a creep.

As far as I know he wasn't taking those kind of pictures, I'm still unsure what exactly the guy he met online was looking for...
Reply 6
As far as I know he wasn't taking those kind of pictures, I'm still unsure what exactly the guy he met online was looking for...

If he was taking photos under the library desks, they were scarcely of people's faces, were they? Think it through.

Strangers on the internet who ask you to do strange things... Even the average ten year old knows better than to actually do them. I hope your mate has finally grasped the basics.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
If he was taking photos under the library desks, they were scarcely of people's faces, were they? Think it through.

Strangers on the internet who ask you to do strange things... Even the average ten year old knows better than to actually do them. I hope your mate has finally grasped the basics.

No he's told me because thats what I thought at first as well, also understandable as I haven't actually noticed many girls wearing skirts here
Reply 8
No he's told me

Totes convincing.

understandable as I haven't actually noticed many girls wearing skirts here

There's a university where very few girls wear skirts during the summer months? No. There isn't.

I now officially have better things to do with my life and I bid you good day.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Totes convincing.

There's a university where very few girls wear skirts during the summer months? No. There isn't.

I now officially have better things to do with my life and I bid you good day.

Okay okay, no need for the hostility all I'm saying is I trust my friends. But I am not here to try and convince you or anyone else, just looking for predictions on the university response
Frankly, he deserves whatever the uni have coming to him...
Being kicked out would be a fitting punishment.
Reply 12
Original post by Quantex
Being kicked out would be a fitting punishment.

I would have thought they'd reserve that for extreme cases, not for a guy sitting in the library with a camera on the chair next to him or on the floor
I would have thought they'd reserve that for extreme cases, not for a guy sitting in the library with a camera on the chair next to him or on the floor

Sitting in the library taken photos to pass on to a guy online is an extreme case
Reply 14
Original post by Mimsycrafts
Sitting in the library taken photos to pass on to a guy online is an extreme case

He wasn't taking pictures of faces or even of a sexual nature, this was done with guys as well, in fact it was a guy who reported it. Surely taking pictures for his own use would be worse as that is criminal

By your own admission, he wasn't just sitting there with a camera, he was actively taking pictures of female students under the table. University polices put a lot of emphasis on providing an environment for staff/students to feel comfortable in. If the university regarding it as a case of sexual harassment, it will be treated extremely.
Reply 16
Original post by Quantex
By your own admission, he wasn't just sitting there with a camera, he was actively taking pictures of female students under the table. University polices put a lot of emphasis on providing an environment for staff/students to feel comfortable in. If the university regarding it as a case of sexual harassment, it will be treated extremely.

Yes but I fail to see how it could be seen as sexual harassment if he was doing it with guys too, it is only the fact that female students made complaints which makes it seem that way. A case of a guy with a spy camera is very different and I would treat it more as causing an annoyance than harassment
He wasn't taking pictures of faces or even of a sexual nature, this was done with guys as well, in fact it was a guy who reported it. Surely taking pictures for his own use would be worse as that is criminal

Are you sure this was a friend and not you.

It doesnt matter what or who was the subject matter. What matters was he was taking photos which could be described as of a sexual nature and distributing them online without the subject matters express permission.

The reason the police has let the issue go is probably because the uni has told them they wilk resolve it in house. Which will probably be with exclusion.

Your 'friend' needs to learn that actions have consequences.
Yes but I fail to see how it could be seen as sexual harassment if he was doing it with guys too, it is only the fact that female students made complaints which makes it seem that way. A case of a guy with a spy camera is very different and I would treat it more as causing an annoyance than harassment

You can tell yourself this; but the fact is that the situation reads as pretty bad despite all the ifs and buts you're bringing in. Expect a pretty harsh punishment; it's not on taking photos in that nature.
Reply 19
Well people seem to be jumping to conclusions which perhaps is understandable as I didn't have the energy to write a full account from the start. My friend records lectures and revises using a camera about the size of a car key fob. He met someone online whom he was talking to about his course and saying he would be in the library a lot due to exam resits in the summer. He mentioned this camera and saying how it was really small like a spy camera to which this other guy said he could probably spy on things with it. That's how it started off.

Obviously I can understand how it looks on the surface but this is not a clear cut case of taking perverted pictures without consent. As I have said anyone looking at them would not have seen it that way. It was literally like if I was in say a shop and was walking around with my phone recording.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending