The Student Room Group

Question about private consultation

I've had a double elbow injury for about 4 months now, I've seen 3 NHS GPs, all of whom have fobbed me off and refused to refer me to physio/diagnostics - despite barely being able to carry shopping and do other day to day stuff.

If I were to pay for a private consultation, are they able to refer me back to NHS services if they believe there is reasonable cause? I can afford the private consult but not X-rays/MRI etc that are usually done because they are just so damn expensive.

The problem obviously isn't going to heal by itself so I feel there's not really any alternative.
i know the feels, a car hit the back of my foot a few years back and the heals all messed up,i cant wear hard backed shoes on it and it hurts when i touch it (plus it looks purple and gross) but they said it wasn't worth the surgery. I also had a friend who hurt her elbow and when her parents finally took her to the doctors they found she had a bit of grisel stuck in the flesh of her elbow, they said they could remove it but said they wouldn't as it would be fine as it is.A few years lattr and my friend cant rest her elbow on things but its not as bad as it was so maybe they were right since the scaring from the surgery could have been painful.

Its difficult because i don't know exactly what happened but usually if your pushy enough they will at least carry out an xray. then if they gave you advice i would try and follow it and wait a while as if my friend hadn't waited the years and had paid for a private consultation then she would have lost money for no good reason.

However its up to you if you feels its worth the cost maybe for your peace of mind the money would be worth it

Quick Reply

Latest