Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Star69
Of course. My application was submitted 3/10,
Both references in by 11/10
Went to degree committee on 21/10
BoGS 23/10
Offer 26/10

Edit - I spoke with the SV and department before application.

Another question! :P Did you write a sample piece of work just for the cause or did you adapt and develop previous, relevant pieces of work?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
Original post by omgwhat
Not a problem, I was just concerned that it was a humanities subject. :P Congratulations, I am very happy for you! I just realised that my subject works on a rolling basis too and I literally just submitted my application. I hope it isn't too far along. :frown:

Everything crossed for you! What colleges did you choose?
Original post by omgwhat
Not a problem, I was just concerned that it was a humanities subject. :P Congratulations, I am very happy for you! I just realised that my subject works on a rolling basis too and I literally just submitted my application. I hope it isn't too far along. :frown:

I doubt it. Applications have been open for less than eight weeks so you have plenty of time :smile:. If you read the previous year's thread you'll notice that lots of offers were made to people who applied around Christmas, January and February. I doubt all the places go out to applicants now.
Original post by Star69
Everything crossed for you! What colleges did you choose?

St. John's and Christ's College, you? :smile:
Original post by Aceadria
I doubt it. Applications have been open for less than eight weeks so you have plenty of time :smile:. If you read the previous year's thread you'll notice that lots of offers were made to people who applied around Christmas, January and February. I doubt all the places go out to applicants now.

That's true, well hopefully I'll find out before then because I don't think my sanity will allow for this torture any longer. *breaks down*
Original post by omgwhat
That's true, well hopefully I'll find out before then because I don't think my sanity will allow for this torture any longer. *breaks down*

Stay strong :smile: (easier said than done) but I had gone into the applications expecting to hear back around Easter 2016. Is the administrator in your department friendly? I would get on good terms with him/her and you can e-mail them every few weeks for an update.
Stay strong :smile: (easier said than done) but I had gone into the applications expecting to hear back around Easter 2016. Is the administrator in your department friendly? I would get on good terms with him/her and you can e-mail them every few weeks for an update.

How does one find out who the administrator for their department is?
Does it list contact people on the departmental website?
Does it list contact people on the departmental website?

I think I've found that person! Thanks

I will try! And I know, that's why I was surprised you heard back so early!

I'm not really sure about the administrator. I essentially got in touch with my academic from the onset because I knew it was her I wanted, so I never got an opportunity to chat. Now I'm not so sure there would be a point in speaking to the administrator at all. :frown:
Ok so I know I'm probably speculating but I was looking on my camsis and it says 'under consideration by degree committee' and when I click view/amend its says 'your application being reviewed by degree committee'. So does this mean that my application has already been seen and a decision has been made by the faculty so it is just being confirmed by th degree committee or the degree committee will make its own decision.

Anyone else's camsis say the same thing?
Original post by soccerstar04all

Broadly, yes, but the degree committee set the comparative standard between departments. So Dept A may be putting through twice as many candidates and Dept B, and they aren't as good quality, so the Degree Committee may reject more As than Bs. It's all moderated and discussed through the process, it's not tick boxes - which is why it often takes so long.
Reply 192
I am still waiting for both my references- the deadline is on Friday and I am "awaiting consideration" by the department. Anyone got any tips for prompting my referees. I thought I should do it today as gives them two days to do it if they have completely forgotten.

The whole reference thing is a little complicated anyway as I left university a long time ago and there's no-one who can write an academic reference there and it is being done by former/current employers, which i'm hoping will be OK... The whole thing is making me a bit anxious!

I am trying to maintain a sense of proportion while reading the updates of people moving through the system! it's so frustrating waiting around on other people. :cry:

Huge congrats to people who have got offers- that must be so exciting!
I had the same issue with one of my referees because he was just taking soooo long. So I sent him a kind urgent reminder to ask him politely to send in the reference. Sometimes the people one asks are just really busy and forget. My professors always insisted that if we always remind them as they have busy schedules and need reminding. I don't think they usually get offended (not mine anyway).
Original post by soccerstar04all
I had the same issue with one of my referees because he was just taking soooo long. So I sent him a kind urgent reminder to ask him politely to send in the reference. Sometimes the people one asks are just really busy and forget. My professors always insisted that if we always remind them as they have busy schedules and need reminding. I don't think they usually get offended (not mine anyway).

My referees didn't mind me reminding them either. I think it depends entirely on who you pick to submit a reference, but from my experience, they wholeheartedly understand that applying to Oxbridge is a big deal.
Reply 195
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I have sent a polite reminder email to one of my referees so hopefully that will bear fruit!
I've just found out that the other one is on holiday until the weekend so almost certainly won't be able to submit anything by the Friday deadline.

I've tried to get in touch with Graduate Admissions and my department but there's noone there in either case. I guess I will try tomorrow.

I didn't expect applications to be this complicated!
Original post by bunyun
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I have sent a polite reminder email to one of my referees so hopefully that will bear fruit!
I've just found out that the other one is on holiday until the weekend so almost certainly won't be able to submit anything by the Friday deadline.

I've tried to get in touch with Graduate Admissions and my department but there's noone there in either case. I guess I will try tomorrow.

Yeah that would work. I had a senior whose referee didn't make it in time and the application actually expired. He subsequently emailed the Graduate Admissions to 'revive' his application and he was allowed an extension thereafter. Should be fine if you update them about your situation. :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by bunyun

Original post by cambridgewh
Yeah that would work. I had a senior whose referee didn't make it in time and the application actually expired. He subsequently emailed the Graduate Admissions to 'revive' his application and he was allowed an extension thereafter. Should be fine if you update them about your situation. :smile:

Yeah this, they always sound really strict about the deadlines but my impression is that as long as the actual GRADSAF application is submitted by the deadline you get some leeway with refs, supporting documents etc. There is a final hard deadline for everything from what I recall as well though.
If I am concerned that a potential supervisor has written me a negative reference, am I in my rights to ask to see it?
Original post by omgwhat
If I am concerned that a potential supervisor has written me a negative reference, am I in my rights to ask to see it?

This! I'm really curious to view my references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending